SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2010, 18:13   #1
TJS

Review of LaserMax Guide Rod Laser

Review:

I ordered a LaserMax Guide Rod Laser for my Glock 19 from Amazon.com. Today, I received it. It was very easy to put in my weapon and worked as described when I tested it at home. Off to the range with 300 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm ammo.

At the range, I located my target at 25" from me and began to shoot. The first shot was straight on but low about 1". As I further shot, I noticed my shots moving low and to the left. Some as far as 2-3" from point of aim. Then at around round number 45, the laser stopped working altogether. No beam no matter which way I pushed the switch. After clearing the weapon, I removed the guide rod laser and placed it back in the slide. I reassembled the weapon and ....nothing. It had stopped working and I could not resurrect it. Needless to say, I was disappointed and dismayed. My over $300 laser was worthless. And, I could not continue my shooting session because I left the OEM guide rod at home.

As soon as I got home, I proceeded to return it to Amazon.com. No, I did not want a replacement. I wanted my money back. I spent over $300 for this laser and the frustration is not worth repeating.
TJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 19:03   #2
AZBru88

Thats why I use Crimson Trace on all my carry guns. If they fail/or don't I still have my sights! I hate fooling with Glock Internals...Glocks work why change that! Your the 5th or 6th person I have heard having some sort of trouble with lasermax! Glad it ruined your day at the range and not your life in a gun fight! Best of luck getting your money refunded...Bru
PS I hate when you spend big bucks on the best and it doesn't work! PITA!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:16   #3
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
And, I could not continue my shooting session because I left the OEM guide rod at home.

One question, if I may...

You don't mention that your gun jammed, or in any way failed to cycle. So, why didn't you just finish your range session, leaving the LaserMax in place as a guide rod assembly?

While I don't question your experience, it is the exact inverse of our own experience with a 2005 LaserMax guide rod laser in my wife's G19, which has performed flawlessly over thousands of rounds, using all manner of ammo.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:31   #4
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
1) Thats why I use Crimson Trace on all my carry guns. If they fail/or don't I still have my sights!

2) I hate fooling with Glock Internals...Glocks work why change that!

3) Glad it ruined your day at the range and not your life in a gun fight!

4) Best of luck getting your money refunded...

1) It's not clear that the gun malfunctioned in any way, plus, he also still had his sights.

2) Glock's plastic guide rod assemblies have been known to fail.

My wife's new G19 came with a Glock magazine that wouldn't feed reliably.

I had an OEM locking block pin (steel) break on my G21.

3) Agreed. But again, it's not clear that his gun malfunctioned in any way.

4) If this was a new-in-box unit, purchased from a reputable retailer, rest assured that LaserMax will certainly satisfy this customer!

--Ray
Old 09-10-2010, 05:24   #5
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
1) It's not clear that the gun malfunctioned in any way, plus, he also still had his sights.

2) Glock's plastic guide rod assemblies have been known to fail.

My wife's new G19 came with a Glock magazine that wouldn't feed reliably.

I had an OEM locking block pin (steel) break on my G21.

3) Agreed. But again, it's not clear that his gun malfunctioned in any way.

4) If this was a new-in-box unit, purchased from a reputable retailer, rest assured that LaserMax will certainly satisfy this customer!

--Ray
Ray seemed pretty clear to me there must have been a problem if he couldn't continue his range session! He stated that pretty clearly,no he didn't give the reason other then the malfunctioning Lasermax.
I agree with you any mechanical item can have problems, if its man made it can break or be broken. When my life is on the line I personally don't want to inter duce a part into a working gun that can gum the working of the weapon up. Like I said glad his failure happened at the range and not in a gun fight for his life! Do you really think Gaston made such a simple design, that works probably more reliable then any other pistol out there to have someone put a after market laser in it that can stop it?
I've seen both guide rods break and locking blocks crack, most where discovered on a cleaning break down on the weapon. I've seen the wings break (metal slide rails in the frame) and the gun kept shooting, until it was broken down to be cleaned.
I hope he would get a refund from lasermax, or his retailer. I have heard guys rave about their Lasermax. Personally I don't like that option for two main reasons;
1) Your screwing with the internal of a Glock.
2) You have to turn the laser unit on. During stress is that always going to happen, giving you the tactical advantage that the laser affords you? I've bought to many guns off people that have had the rest of the original box of ammo they bought with the gun. They buy a gun shoot it once or twice and it spends the rest of its days in the nightstand. Is that guy going to remember to turn on his laser?

The plus side to Lasermax is no added grip size, no holster problems if your left handed (or right), and the laser is inline with the bore.

That being said I'll still choose the CT's. I don't have a grip problem with them on. I've never had a holster problem with my CT's. The more accurate, inline thing is something I'm not worried about. I've seen my CT groupings I've shot in the dark many times....Its a combat pistol 1" group or 3" group isn't going to make a bit of difference in a gun fight.
Just my 2 cents....Bru
Old 09-10-2010, 13:26   #6
RayB
Retired Member

Reply To AZBru88...

I don't question your judgment. Guns are pretty personal things, IMO, and a guy should do what he can rest easiest with.

The fact is, I've never had an OEM guide rod break. But I know experienced shooters that swap out the OEM guide rod for an aftermarket tungsten or stainless steel model, as a matter of policy--kind of like swapping out the plastic OEM sights, I guess.

The LaserMax in my G21 has likewise given excellent service over thousands of rounds fired, using all manner of ammo. That's the reason I bought my wife one, for her G19!

But you're right about getting a defective anything made by man. We once had a new VW Jetta delivered with all four wheels out of alignment! So much for Uber craftsmanship, I guess; maybe Hans had a rough night!

There's no question that instant-on is a great feature for a laser designator in a CCW or a BUG! But on a bedside weapon, I like a deliberate activation.

Sure, activating the laser is one more thing to do, but so is activating a weapon light, flipping off a safety, etc. All of these things, like a martial arts skill, need to be routinely practiced through realistic drills, to be effective.

Hope to God we never need any of it!

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 09-10-2010 at 13:29..
Old 09-10-2010, 13:52   #7
AZBru88

"There's no question that instant-on is a great feature for a laser designator in a CCW or a BUG! But on a bedside weapon, I like a deliberate activation.

Sure, activating the laser is one more thing to do, but so is activating a weapon light, flipping off a safety, etc. All of these things, like a martial arts skill, need to be routinely practiced through realistic drills, to be effective.

Hope to God we never need any of it!

--Ray"

Ya I have to agree with you on the nightstand gun! I run a TLR-2. I like the on/off switch, light/laser combo. With my CT's I keep my trigger finger high on the rail and block the dot until needed. I don't think I would want the switch set up on my EDG. To many situations where you might not remember to turn on the laser and have a grave need for it to shoot from some weird angle, or from behind cover.
We agree on practice! Plus the biggie Hope to God we never need any of it!!
I'm sure glad you and your wife enjoy yours. Like I said there are a lot of people that love them. Everyone should enjoy and be comfortable with what they carry. I guess thats why there is such a big after market supply of Glock stuff available for all of us to choose from. Enjoy, be safe, I guess we are a little like the burger place..."Have it your way"...take care....Bru

Last edited by AZBru88; 09-10-2010 at 14:16..
Old 09-12-2010, 06:25   #8
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
Thats why I use Crimson Trace on all my carry guns. If they fail/or don't I still have my sights! I hate fooling with Glock Internals...Glocks work why change that! Your the 5th or 6th person I have heard having some sort of trouble with lasermax!
Big +1 on the CT. They don't replace a critical part (like the guide rod). If a CT fails an you just have a thicker grip; but a functioning weapon.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote