Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2010, 21:07   #1
Neal

Looking for hot fudge made without HFCS

Tried Sanders. I'ts OK, but not nearly as good as the grocery store hot fudges that are made with that evil high fructose corn syrup. Looking for a good hot fudge made without HFCS. Anyone know of a source?
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:44   #2
spero525
HE did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Tried Sanders. I'ts OK, but not nearly as good as the grocery store hot fudges that are made with that evil high fructose corn syrup. Looking for a good hot fudge made without HFCS. Anyone know of a source?
This one looks most promising. It's been on my list to try but I haven't yet so I can't give a personal recommendation.

~Spero525Food Forum

"When God shuts a door, don't bang on it!" -Dad
spero525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 18:19   #3
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero525 View Post
This one looks most promising. It's been on my list to try but I haven't yet so I can't give a personal recommendation.

~Spero525Food Forum

Thanks much. The pic in the recipe does not make it look good, but the reviews are great, so I may try making it myself.
Old 11-02-2010, 22:08   #4
spero525
HE did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Thanks much. The pic in the recipe does not make it look good, but the reviews are great, so I may try making it myself.
Yeah, the displayed picture isn't terrific, I agree. If you click on it it'll give you a few other shots by other people, and the first one in particular looks delicious.

~Spero525Food Forum

Old 11-02-2010, 22:20   #5
furioso2112

perhaps a technicality -you are referring to HFCS - what about just plain old corn syrup? There is even organic corn syrup, depending on what you are seeking or avoiding.

Anyway, if CS is okay, Kilwin's sauce is unequaled. Look up Kilwin's in MI. Cheers.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:18   #6
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
perhaps a technicality -you are referring to HFCS - what about just plain old corn syrup? There is even organic corn syrup, depending on what you are seeking or avoiding.

Anyway, if CS is okay, Kilwin's sauce is unequaled. Look up Kilwin's in MI. Cheers.
Looked up Kilwins. Probably very good, but cost prohibitive. :(
Old 11-03-2010, 21:12   #7
furioso2112

Re: Kilwin's, I understand. The price on the jar I have is $10, which is a stretch, but I bought a 'last jar' when I left Michigan. It's ridiculously good - as is everything I have had of theirs - their truffles make Godiva seem like Hershey's. Not that there's anything wrong with Hershey's - but most people can tell the difference between the two. I'd say the difference between Kilwin's and Godiva is as pronounced. Anyway, I suppose shipping would double the cost of their hot fudge, and that is relatively high priced, especially so if you go through it quickly. I can't get through a jar in less than 6 mos or so, usually, so it's no biggie.
Old 11-03-2010, 21:45   #8
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

bsic, excellent Hot Fudge Sauce

HOT FUDGE SAUCE

2 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. cocoa (Hershey's)
4 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla (added later)

In a saucepan - mix dry ingredients. Add butter and water. Bring to a boil, and continue boiling for 10 minutes, or slightly longer. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Serve over ice cream.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 23:14   #9
spero525
HE did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
bsic, excellent Hot Fudge Sauce

HOT FUDGE SAUCE

2 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. cocoa (Hershey's)
4 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla (added later)

In a saucepan - mix dry ingredients. Add butter and water. Bring to a boil, and continue boiling for 10 minutes, or slightly longer. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Serve over ice cream.
Okay, I definitely like the sound of this one. I'm going to have to get some ice cream now in order to try this! Do you know about how long it will keep in the fridge? Or is it stored at room temperature?

Thanks.

~SperoFood Forum

Old 11-04-2010, 09:48   #10
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
Re: Kilwin's, I understand. The price on the jar I have is $10, which is a stretch, but I bought a 'last jar' when I left Michigan. It's ridiculously good - as is everything I have had of theirs - their truffles make Godiva seem like Hershey's. Not that there's anything wrong with Hershey's - but most people can tell the difference between the two. I'd say the difference between Kilwin's and Godiva is as pronounced. Anyway, I suppose shipping would double the cost of their hot fudge, and that is relatively high priced, especially so if you go through it quickly. I can't get through a jar in less than 6 mos or so, usually, so it's no biggie.
$11.95 plus $6.95 shipping for a total of $18.90 for a 20 ounce jar delivered. A 20 ounce jar would last me about a week. They have a store in South Bend, and several in Michigan. Maybe some day I will have a chance to splurge and buy some in one of those stores.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36   #11
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero525 View Post
Okay, I definitely like the sound of this one. I'm going to have to get some ice cream now in order to try this! Do you know about how long it will keep in the fridge? Or is it stored at room temperature?

Thanks.

~SperoFood Forum
Since it has butter, I would keep it up to a few weeks in the fridge and reheat as needed.

But fresh is better.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote