SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:13   #1
Great Googly Moogly
Shiek Yerbouti

Optics to rifle cost ratio?

What's your average cost ratio for optics compared to the rifle it sits on?
My optics are expensive because of the long range shooting I do.

Last edited by Great Googly Moogly; 09-11-2010 at 03:14..
Great Googly Moogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:24   #2
skippz

I've always heard spend as much on ur scope as u do ur rifle.
skippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26   #3
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

I don't know, it depends on a number of factors. There are some really cool/interesting optics out there, but I don't wanna spend $1500 or more on one. The most expensive optic I have is about $800. That goes mainly on a $2000 rifle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58   #4
AZBru88

Optics is where most guys cheap out! I've seen a ton of guys spend $2-3K on a rifle set up and $200 for a scope! Then wonder why their rifle shoots all over the place. There are still bargains to be had in the optic world, I still like my Nightforce scopes! Tough and clear, very repeatable. There are a lot of others out there that work for less money, but once you get good glass thats all you'll want!

I would say if the rifle is 100% the optics usually run in the 120% range price wise! I always seem to spend 20% more on my optics then the rifle.....but then I start customizing my rifles and it changes back!

Last edited by AZBru88; 09-11-2010 at 05:02.. Reason: added
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:37   #5
Great Googly Moogly
Shiek Yerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
Optics is where most guys cheap out! I've seen a ton of guys spend $2-3K on a rifle set up and $200 for a scope! Then wonder why their rifle shoots all over the place. There are still bargains to be had in the optic world, I still like my Nightforce scopes! Tough and clear, very repeatable. There are a lot of others out there that work for less money, but once you get good glass thats all you'll want!

I would say if the rifle is 100% the optics usually run in the 120% range price wise! I always seem to spend 20% more on my optics then the rifle.....but then I start customizing my rifles and it changes back!
I take my time to get the right optic the first time. Sometimes my older optics go on a different rifle, but I've never "gone cheap" when it comes to glass. Besides, lifetime warranties are nice.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:06   #6
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Googly Moogly View Post
I take my time to get the right optic the first time. Sometimes my older optics go on a different rifle, but I've never "gone cheap" when it comes to glass. Besides, lifetime warranties are nice.
Wasn't referring to you. Was thinking about shooting buddies that wonder why there custom rifles shoot all over the place with a $200 optic on top of them. I've seen to many guys spend big bucks on custom rifles and then try and save a Grand by putting a Tasco on a $3K rifle!But then again I've seen a 20 year old with a Tasco out shoot a buddy of mine with a custom rifle and $2k scope.....good equipment can only take you so far....practice with your rifle, tuning the gun and ammo take hours! Most guys don't spend the time to get used to their rifles. Shooting a cold bore, at many different ranges, making sure their optics are repeatable. Most buy a rifle, zero it at 100 yards and wonder why they miss an easy shoot on a deer at 200 yards!You can keep your lifetime warranties, I don't want it replaced I want it to work when I pick it up! Like I said, tough, clear and repeatable thats what I want.

Last edited by AZBru88; 09-11-2010 at 06:08..
Old 09-11-2010, 06:18   #7
AZBru88

Moogly one thing to remember is out here we have shots that are 600-800 yard on deer and antelope. I'm not in Michigan where a long shot is 75 yards! I've killed deer at 675 yards with one shot. Many deer at 400+ mark, when you shoot ranges like that you need to know what your weapon will do! I work load cards up for each of my rifles, dial my scopes in and know my settings. Its all relative to what you want and where you'll be shooting! If I hunted the woods in Michigan a $50 3x9 off brand scope would be fine on a rifle. Then again the shot would be 50-75 yards! I don't, I shoot 300 mag's at fairly long range. Its much more important to have great optics, and know how you shoot your gun!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48   #8
FatBoy

Quote:

I picked up a used SA M21 (current MSRP~$3450) for a good deal a while back and it had a $150 scope on it. Someday I need to get some good glass on it. It shoots sub MOA at 100, but the glass isn't good enough to shoot at any real distance.

FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58   #9
Big_Drunk

Scope cost about 3X what the rifle cost.

I have a Browning Bolt Action .308 that I bought used. Then I bought a Leupold Vari-X III w/30mm tube and illuminator reticle.

The scope cost 3X the cost of the rifle. The combo works great. I use it for hogs, so it's legal to shoot after dark. The scope really makes a big difference. With ANY light, I can identify targets and place the bullets on the target. (Hogs are pretty tough, so you need to hit them solidly in the vitals or in the head.)
Big_Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03   #10
Great Googly Moogly
Shiek Yerbouti

Quote:
Moogly one thing to remember is out here we have shots that are 600-800 yard on deer and antelope. I'm not in Michigan where a long shot is 75 yards! I've killed deer at 675 yards with one shot. Many deer at 400+ mark, when you shoot ranges like that you need to know what your weapon will do! I work load cards up for each of my rifles, dial my scopes in and know my settings. Its all relative to what you want and where you'll be shooting! If I hunted the woods in Michigan a $50 3x9 off brand scope would be fine on a rifle. Then again the shot would be 50-75 yards! I don't, I shoot 300 mag's at fairly long range. Its much more important to have great optics, and know how you shoot your gun!
I hear ya'. I'm building a .204 prarie dog gun that has way more money than my girlfriend thinks tied up in it.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:28   #11
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Googly Moogly View Post
I hear ya'. I'm building a .204 prarie dog gun that has way more money than my girlfriend thinks tied up in it.
Ya easy to do when we start customizing things the way we want them. Sounds like a fun gun! Love seeing those little things turn into a pink spray! Thats why you want good optics to see the spray!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35   #12
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
I picked up a used SA M21 (current MSRP~$3450) for a good deal a while back and it had a $150 scope on it. Someday I need to get some good glass on it. It shoots sub MOA at 100, but the glass isn't good enough to shoot at any real distance.

FB
Great gun! Vortex has had some nice sales going on! If you get a chance take a look through one. I have a few buddies shooting them and love them. I'm hooked on NF, just a personal thing. They are going to a new range finding reticle, and dumping the old stuff at great prices. Great glass for the price.
Old 09-11-2010, 18:08   #13
Brucev

Average cost... around $400 for a good scope. I like Leupold. Others are good, I just like Leupold. However, on my beloved left-handed Rem. 700 BDL, I have a neat little 3x steel tube Weaver. It was given to me by my brother the year before he died. It is a excellent scope. Every time I use it I think of him. It will not be replaced.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote