Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:28   #1
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

Sight options for M1A SOCOM 16

Good afternoon,

Anyone here try the Burris AR-332? Looks like a decent 3x, that should let me use "see through" rings to use the irons as needed as well. Thoughts from the experts?

Alternatives I've considered, in case I'm missing something obvious: Leopold or Burris scout scope look good too, (2.5x or 2.75x respectively) But I like the AR-332 reticle and illumination.

Millet DMS might be a contender, but I'm not sure the eye relief.

1x red dot plus 3x magnifier- Problem there is even with a small dot, like 2moa, once you magnify it you'll have a huge dot that kind of defeats the purpose of the magnification by subtending too much of the target. Am I missing something here? Seems like that whole approach may work o.k. for a 200-250 yard rifle, but past that, a 6 moa (magnified) dot is just too big to be useful.

Is there holographic sight/reticle/magnifier combo that might work as desired? Maybe a 1 moa center dot surrounded by a larger ring, and ideally marked with crosshairs and stadia/dots? My goal here is something that remains handy at less that 100 yards, but can hit accurately out to 500 yards if needed.

ETA: Have seen some stuff on the Millet DMS, and that looks like it might be a nice contender... I'd be o.k. spending a bit more than that, though, for something that really does the job both as a red-dot head up sight for close range, fastest possible acquisition (so also needs to be "forgiving" in terms of eye relief/mount to shoulder & cheek weld) and also low magnification (3x to 4x) precision out to 500 yards.... I can handle $500 or so if it covers both those niches. Alternatively, if there is a setup thas does what I'm talking about really well with a holo-sight and magnifier or something, but is out of my budget for now, feel free to pipe up. Maybe I can swing the holosight for now, and get the magnifer down the road, or something like that.

Thanks!!
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m1a, red-dot, scope, scout