Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2010, 13:20   #1
sawgrass

Ladies Please Read and Respond

I'm kicking around the idea of developing a class for women.
There has to be women who wonder about doing mechanical
things they haven't done. I'm thinking along the lines of piping,
changing oil, using a drill press, changing an outlet, changing a light
switch, maybe a little welding and torch use. I might add backing a
trailer, and having a general contractor as well as a true trades union
representative come in. There are so many ways to make a nice
living that I think women are afraid of, because they haven't been
exposed to it. Would you like to know how to change out a toilet,
or repair a leaking drain, repair a faucet?

What do you think? What would you like to know how to do?
Do you tend to think that evening hours or day hours would
be better? Weekdays or Saturdays?? I'm thinking around two
weeks long.

So how about a little feedback before I take my idea to the powers
that be.

Thanks,
sawgrass
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 16:22   #2
ExxoticOne

Double post.

Last edited by ExxoticOne; 09-14-2010 at 16:25..
ExxoticOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 16:24   #3
ExxoticOne

While I don't personally have any interest in doing that stuff I think a general awareness of "how stuff works" would be useful so that as a consumer the ladies won't be taken advantage of. I would also suggest a course on how to actually use some tools. You might be surprised how many women don't know how to use a drill or power saw.
Old 09-14-2010, 16:35   #4
sawgrass

Thanks ExxoticOne, it will be "hands on", taught in a lab environment.
I believe more women would enter the trades if they had an accurate
perception of what to expect. At the least they will leave this class
with a few helpful skills.

Last edited by sawgrass; 09-14-2010 at 21:22..
Old 09-14-2010, 16:38   #5
MrsKitty

Hang wallpaper, patch drywall, lay ceramic tile/linoleum/carpet, change a tire, prep/pour/dress concrete, repair a few loose shingles, hang windows/doors, replace cabinets and countertops...

I don't know when would be better. Some schedules favor weekends while other people are busier on the weekend than during the week. That will be a toss up.
Old 09-14-2010, 16:45   #6
sawgrass

Thanks Mrs.Kitty,
I appreciate the feedback. This is step one in the process.
Determining need and desire.

Last edited by sawgrass; 09-14-2010 at 23:09..
Old 09-14-2010, 17:48   #7
Mrs. Tink
Semper Fidelis

Try a Level I and Level II class. If I were a total newbie and saw that a class would be teaching me how to replace a toilet, I would find it sufficiently daunting and would stay away. However, if "Level I" covered things like how to operate a drill, how to replace a taillight, how to repair a broken rod in your window frame... and "Level II" covered replacing a toilet, using a soldering iron, electrical work, etc. then that might be better.

Can you offer two classes, say one on weekday nights and one on weekends?
Being a conservative and being a good leader is not enough for some people. They want to measure your principles by how harshly you criticize the people that disagree with you. There’s a technical term for that political strategy: stupid. ~State Sen. Shawn Mitchell, R-CO

Americans have put clowns in for government officials and wonder why this place runs like a circus. ~engineer151515
Mrs. Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 18:41   #8
WWJGD
WtWdJohnGaltDo?

I think it's a great idea, sawgrass. As a single homeowner, I often attempt DIY repairs. Sometimes they go well. I'd love to know more about some basic mechanical and electrical things. Aside from my own home and car repairs, I wouldn't mind having skills for extra jobs during the summer.

Anyway, I'd sign up, and I know many of my gal friends would as well. Go for it, and keep us posted!
Old 09-14-2010, 21:21   #9
sawgrass

Thanks everyone!

As I mentioned this is in the early planning stages.
I appreciate the replies. I think there might be two
markets. One for female homeowners and another
for an introduction to a career in a skilled trade.

Last edited by sawgrass; 09-14-2010 at 23:10..
Old 09-14-2010, 21:42   #10
Zonny

I'd go for that. I just asked GT how to access my brake light compartment.

And, I'm proud to say...ta da...I did it!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 22:09   #11
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
I'd go for that. I just asked GT how to access my brake light compartment.

And, I'm proud to say...ta da...I did it!!!
Zonny by the time I saw that thread, you had it fixed!
Congratulations!

The other female involved in this idea teaches auto mechanics and
used to be a trainer for Ford. She is AMAZING!
Old 09-14-2010, 22:42   #12
Zonny

Well...I think it's fixed. I tried to get one of the dogs to sit on the brake peddle so I could check it. They weren't going for it.
Old 09-14-2010, 23:19   #13
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxoticOne View Post
You might be surprised how many women don't know how to use a drill or power saw.
No, not a bit. That's what I would like to help change. It isn't as hard as
many women perceive it to be. What I actually find is that young men these
days haven't been exposed to a lot of tools either. They spend their breaks
playing games on their phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
Well...I think it's fixed. I tried to get one of the dogs to sit on the brake peddle so I could check it. They weren't going for it.
I find that my 8 pound schnoodle isn't very helpful either. Sometimes cute
is enough!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:15   #14
ExxoticOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
No, not a bit. That's what I would like to help change. It isn't as hard a many women perceive it to be. What I actually find is that young men these days haven't been exposed to a lot of tools either. They spend their breaks playing games on their phones.
We have a thread in the GNG section about the essentials of a good first aid kit. Some type of "essentials" unit on a home tool box may be useful. I have all DeWalt stuff and I know how to use it all...even though I have no desire to create, build or repair anything.

Out of sheer impatience one weekend, I did install 3 ceiling fans. It was more out of my desire to finish decorating than anything else. I am very proud of that little feat. I will show you pics later.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55   #15
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxoticOne View Post
We have a thread in the GNG section about the essentials of a good first aid kit. Some type of "essentials" unit on a home tool box may be useful. I have all DeWalt stuff and I know how to use it all...even though I have no desire to create, build or repair anything.

Out of sheer impatience one weekend, I did install 3 ceiling fans. It was more out of my desire to finish decorating than anything else. I am very proud of that little feat. I will show you pics later.

That's a good idea. Having the right tool makes all of difference in the world.
I have DeWalt tools as well. I really like them. I'm still using the original
18volt batteries after several years.

EO you are indeed a mystery... That's impressive. Friends and neighbors are always asking me to install or repair things. I'm getting better at saying
"no, sorry I don't do side work". I gave one of my pals a whole house humidifier for her bday. I do need to get myself over there before Winter
and install it. She catches a lot of colds, I'm hoping it will help.
I go as far as to carry a small bottle of saline and keep my nasal membranes
moist, mostly at work where there is very poor humidification. I rarely catch
a cold. Hey...I could add a little IAQ! (indoor air quality)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41   #16
vafish

Not a lady,

But my dad is a retired shop teacher. He teaches adult education classes in home repair.

He has a series of classes that cover plumbing, electrical, wall board and roofing. He gets a lot of women taking his classes that own their own homes and want to be able to do simple repairs.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 14:29   #17
LilWolfess

My boss and I were discussing this topic a while ago...

I'd figure that most women should AT LEAST see how it is done. (Heck, even some men I know should take a class on these things). If I were in the area, I'd show up even though I do have some experience in these areas.
Old 09-15-2010, 14:49   #18
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

I have to go get on a plane and don't have time to give a good answer, but I think it's a great idea. I'll go more into what I'm thinking later if you like.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 21:53   #19
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWolfess View Post
My boss and I were discussing this topic a while ago...

I'd figure that most women should AT LEAST see how it is done. (Heck, even some men I know should take a class on these things). If I were in the area, I'd show up even though I do have some experience in these areas.
That would be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
I have to go get on a plane and don't have time to give a good answer, but I think it's a great idea. I'll go more into what I'm thinking later if you like.
Of course I want to know what YOU think...silly.

Last edited by sawgrass; 09-15-2010 at 23:44..
Old 09-15-2010, 22:48   #20
BobbyT

I'd suggest maybe going a step back from the hardcore stuff (drill press, welding) and more toward the practical, home improvement type stuff.

I'm not sure what age you're targeting, but very few girls in my generation (early/mid 20s) have any interest in changing their own oil. Few of my guy friends do. You don't just notice one day you happen to need something welded.

But stuff like rewiring electrical outlets, replacing car fuses or bulbs, topping off fluids, finding a stud to hang a shelf...that's the type of general maintenance stuff that a very non-hands-on 23 year old girl (or 33, or 53) could pick up pretty quickly, and is likely to put to use.
BobbyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 23:17   #21
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
I'd suggest maybe going a step back from the hardcore stuff (drill press, welding) and more toward the practical, home improvement type stuff.

I'm not sure what age you're targeting, but very few girls in my generation (early/mid 20s) have any interest in changing their own oil. Few of my guy friends do. You don't just notice one day you happen to need something welded.

But stuff like rewiring electrical outlets, replacing car fuses or bulbs, topping off fluids, finding a stud to hang a shelf...that's the type of general maintenance stuff that a very non-hands-on 23 year old girl (or 33, or 53) could pick up pretty quickly, and is likely to put to use.
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know where this is going either, but these
replies are helping me see that there is likely two distinct markets. One the
general homeowner folks, the other the skilled trades career minded group.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55   #22
ExxoticOne

Quote:
I agree. Things like learning how to use a measuring tape (find studs) and a level to properly hang picures, how to install closet organizers, change a toilet seat, navigate around an electric panel, basic plumbing for toilet and washing machine common problems, changing plumbing fixtures like hardware and shower heads, how to hang ceiling fans and wall sconces, fix screens, etc.

After that you can work on larger projects like setting plumbing fixtures, cutting and laying tile or pavers, installing cabinets, etc.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:11   #23
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

I've done a bunch of minor house stuff - changing out the toilet, laying vinyl tile, installing elec outlets, installing faucets, etc. But I can't do squat with my current vehicle - nothing I learned on the '79 Mailbu I drove in HS applies to an '03 Caravan. I blew a fuse on the van a couple weeks ago and the radio/CD player/clock won't work now. My husband says it's an easy fix, but he doesn't have time to do it... I'm about to get annoyed enough to attempt it myself. Thank goodness for the internet...

I'd love to learn how to cut ceramic tile, how to weld (the growing steampunk motif around here is going to demand that, soon), and how to do minor work on my van. In about 5 years, I'm going to buy a car for my girls to restore - I figure that should give them a decent knowledge base, and me, too, in the process.

One of my three favorite classes in college was woodshop... but in one semester, you don't get to cabinetry, which I'd like to learn, too, cause the ones in this house need to go in the worst way...

I wish you lived closer, Sawgrass.

Mrs.Cicero

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 13:57   #24
BobbyT

A car fuse is a 30 second fix...if you're looking in the right place.

Most cars have a main fuse box under the hood, generally with a 6-8" by 3-4" plastic cover, usually with a bunch of squares showing the proper fuse to use (5/10/25 amp).

A lot also have an additional smaller box either under the dash, or down by your feet. There are generally slots for spare fuses so you won't need anything--but replace the spares so next time they'll be there!

You can get a box of assorted fuses at AutoZone, Wal-Mart's automotive section etc, and often they include a nifty little grabber tool. If it has an LED on it, even better. The top of a blade fuse has 2 little openings

The little testers which are often built into fuse grabbers have prongs you can touch to the openings, and the LED will light up if the fuse works. This way if you don't know which specific fuse it is, you don't have to pull a dozen of them to see which is blown.
BobbyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 15:10   #25
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:
A car fuse is a 30 second fix...if you're looking in the right place.

Most cars have a main fuse box under the hood, generally with a 6-8" by 3-4" plastic cover, usually with a bunch of squares showing the proper fuse to use (5/10/25 amp).

A lot also have an additional smaller box either under the dash, or down by your feet. There are generally slots for spare fuses so you won't need anything--but replace the spares so next time they'll be there!

You can get a box of assorted fuses at AutoZone, Wal-Mart's automotive section etc, and often they include a nifty little grabber tool. If it has an LED on it, even better. The top of a blade fuse has 2 little openings

The little testers which are often built into fuse grabbers have prongs you can touch to the openings, and the LED will light up if the fuse works. This way if you don't know which specific fuse it is, you don't have to pull a dozen of them to see which is blown.
Thanks Bobby - as soon as the thunder stops here, I'm going out to find and fix this!

Mrs.C

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote