SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:17   #1
GLOCK4536
Go Flyers!!!

G20 10mm for deer question.

I just got me a G20 10mm and i'm wanting to try a little handgun hunting this year for deer. My question is if you are hunting with the same gun what do you use in ammo and what is the outcome. Just looking for any info i can get either on factory or reloads. And the range you would limit it. I will have a muzzleloader with me(it's all i use) just in case the range is outside the pistols range. I do know that i will be going to the range to see what is the range i can get with good group so that will be my limit. Just looking for more info that can help me in a deer kill. I've never lost a deer and don't want to start now!!!!!!
THANKS for looking and any info you can give me!!
3.Keep your *#$%^&* finger off the trigger.
4.Keep your *#$%^&* finger off the *#$%^&* trigger.
GLOCK4536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:20   #2
Agent6-3/8

Never hunted with a G20, but I'll throw in my 2 cents any way.

Personally, I'd pick a load with a heavier bullet that will provide plenty of penetration. Double Tap makes several loads that would fit the bill nicely.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...hp?cPath=21_25

As far as limiting range, do what you are comfortable with. IMO, the key is knowing your limitations and staying within those.
Old 09-18-2010, 15:09   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK4536 View Post
I just got me a G20 10mm and i'm wanting to try a little handgun hunting this year for deer. My question is if you are hunting with the same gun what do you use in ammo and what is the outcome. Just looking for any info i can get either on factory or reloads. And the range you would limit it. I will have a muzzleloader with me(it's all i use) just in case the range is outside the pistols range. I do know that i will be going to the range to see what is the range i can get with good group so that will be my limit. Just looking for more info that can help me in a deer kill. I've never lost a deer and don't want to start now!!!!!!
THANKS for looking and any info you can give me!!

Your G20 10mm is capable of killing deer. Use your muzzle loader as your first choice, and if you get a close up shot on the deer and can very confidently take it then do so. You sound 'new' to the G20, (perhaps hand gun, or at least sem-auto) so my "strong suggetion" is that you would spend tremendous ammounts of ammo and time in serious practice before you pop out into the woods and start shootin deer with a hand gun.

As far as ammo goes. If you reload, I would suggest, #1) 180/200gr Hard Cast bullet. #2) 180/200gr XTP. If you do NOT reload, the suggestion is the same, but you will obviously have to purchace factory ammo. In this case I would suggest Buffalo Bore ammo in the Hard Cast first, and some good XTP round, even factory Hornady 180gr as the second. These (The hard cast) will bust through shoulder bones, and usually come out the other side, they will usually end to end a deer with in 50 yards breaking bones and causing much damage on the way through. (The 180gr factory Hornady XTP's will do a very good job as well on close range deer, and I would keep thos to a lung shot imo).

You ask;.... " about range amd limit.."

Don't go to the range to see how far you can shoot. Go to see how well you can consistantly shoot at given distances. I would suggest begining at 25yards, then ending at 50yds, and honestly at this pont with you being new to this, I would try and stay within 25 to 40yds. If you can consistantly keep all your shots, "off hand" in a paper pie plate, better yet, a 6" circle would be best. Then keep that as your limit. Force yourself to stay in that limit and do not get cocky.

I suggest 6" circle, rather than the pie plate, to cause you to learn to aim smaller, tighter, concentrate more. Like the man said.. "Aim small miss small" It is different standing in front of a paper target, than it is a live animal. Do Not look at the rack or the whole body. Zero in on one hair, and make that the hair you want to hit. Don't let your eyes float around all over the deer, just pick a spot shoulder/lung and squeeze. With the ammo refference i gave ya, and at least 1150fps muzzule velocity ammo "bare minimum" and 50yds or less it will be fine if you are. 1200/1250fps is not real necessary for under 50yds on deer, but I would rather see that velocity personally, as depending on angle of the deer. Bones can be hit hard. Not that another 50/100fps will be magic, but it won't hurt to have it. I would rather see the higher Velocity.

The "pistols range" is vastly more than you want or should try on your first outing with a handgun IMO. I can take deer at 100yds with a G20 and we will leave my stories with bigger bore hog legs at that, so i do not get called a liar by someone and my poor heart break.

Seriously. This year, this time out. being new to this gun/caliber. I truly highly suggest you practice your guts out, and try to stay around 25/40yds. And that, after you see that off hand you can put 'em all in a 6" circle. I should not have even mentioned the famous pie plate. "aim small miss small"

For what it is worth amigo, I been doing this a very long time, (and am NO expert) just saying to 'you' as a newbe here, if I were you, this is what I would do and how I would approach this, and the ammo I would use, and the way i would limit myself and the way i would concentrate on tons of practice ASAP...

Better to pass one up and wait till next year, than take a chance and wound him.

Much much more I could add, but this is basically plenty enough for now....

HTH's

Good luck

CanyonMan

http://www.prorodeo.com/

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 09-18-2010 at 15:26..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 23:36   #4
GLOCK4536
Go Flyers!!!

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO! IF ANYONE ELSE CAN ADD PLEASE DO! if it helps, i'm not new to the handgun world and hunting. just the 10mm round.
THANKS AGAIN FOR WHAT HAS BEEN GIVEN!!
3.Keep your *#$%^&* finger off the trigger.
4.Keep your *#$%^&* finger off the *#$%^&* trigger.
GLOCK4536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50   #5
vafish

I've been handgun hunting for 25 years (this is my 25th season hunting with handguns)

Canyonman nailed it on the head.

I've never used a 10MM, just the .44 mag and .45 Colt with heavy handloads. I do have a .41 mag I carried a couple of times last year. It will come out with me again this year.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 23:26   #6
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Been said but 180 grain hard cast , no hollowponts, and keep it under 50 yards.

Hit pie plates at 50 yards for practice.
Old 09-27-2010, 00:56   #7
Happy Hunting

I would think the 10 mm would be much more effective at ranges beyon 50 yards than a .45. Getting the bullet "out there" as opposed to in the kill zone on a deer are two different things entirely, though.

I'm sure hickock45 could do something pretty impressive with a g20...
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:35   #8
alwaysshootin

If you can hit a pie plate at 100 yards, with a G20, you can kill a deer at 100 yards. The heavier the bullet the better. 180 grain projectiles, for that range would be my minimum, and 200 grains would even be better, IMHO. I use 200 grain hardcast, going 1250 FPS, but would not take a shot at 100 yards. 50 yards is where I practice, and shorter ranges of course, but at 100 yards, and open sights, with my vision, deer look real small, and the sights look real big. That's just me, your milage may very. I am confident at 100 yards with a heavy bullet, in the kill zone, a 10 MM will make a pass through.
Old 09-28-2010, 19:33   #9
Esox357

I prefer the 180 grain Hornady XTP for deer and hogs. Plenty of penetration and an excellent hunting bullet. The 10mm was built around a 175 grain bullet. When you start getting in the 200 grain bullet range you sacrafice case capacity. Realistically a 100 yard shot on a deer with a G20 is a stretch, it can be done but I would limit myself to 40 yards and under? Esox357.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51   #10
smoke

If I were using a G20 as a primary hunting handgun, I'd do several things:

Get a 6" Barrel for the gun. There are several manufacturers of these. I prefer the KKM, but there are others. Don't know if GLOCK still makes a 6" Hunting barrel for the G20???

Get a good set of adjustable sights. Dawson makes some good ones. Fiber-optic front is a great help in low light.

Use Hornady 180gr XTP, either factory or handloaded.

If you're just going to try a deer with what you've got, get the 180gr XTP ammo and make sure POA/POI are the same, or practice until you can apply Kentucky Windage. Keep the shots under 50 yards or so.
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote