Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2010, 22:10   #1
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

Gold Dot "Short Barrel" load in 4" pistols?

I'd been on the hunt for some Gold Dots in 124gr +Ps for literally over six months (trying to find them locally, not that people stock small quantities online). Today at my indoor range they had some 124gr +P "Short Barrel" GDs at a reasonable fair.
After talking to the salesman, he convinced me that the short barrel round simply meant more pressure. Upon getting home, I read that the actual bullet is different (meant to provide the same expansion with 2" barrels/lower velocities) and that the primer/accellerant load should be identical; salesmen that don't know their trade as well as I do annoy me.

What're any and all your opinions about carrying this round in a G19 and a HK P7, both 4" barrels? Am I losing penetration and risking more separation/lower energy transfer (yes even bonded rounds separate)? Should I just not even put them in mags and trade them out for what's ideal, or does it not matter at all?
I do understand that if I shoot a human with these they won't be feeling too hot either way...

Thanks all.

Last edited by Disregarded9-side; 09-19-2010 at 22:13..
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 23:16   #2
cowboy1964

It wouldn't be my first preference to carry those in a 4" barrel but they are probably ok. The main problem with SB is the price.

Most people seem to be under the misconception that SB has different powder that "burns faster". As you noted, it's really the bullet that's different. It's meant to open up fully under lower velocities.

kylesgunsshop.com has 124+P. sgammo.com has it once in awhile too. GD 124+p is my #1 favorite.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-19-2010 at 23:19..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:27   #3
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

I tested these in ballistic gelatin a while back, from my Glock 19. I didnt really notice much of a difference between the SB and the regular Gold Dots, so I guess the difference really comes out with the pocket pistol type weapons.

There was no sign of over expansion or jacket/core separation, so dont worry about that. They also did fine through 4 layers of denim.

As with any load, just make sure if functions in your handgun before placing confidence in it.
Old 09-20-2010, 22:00   #4
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

Thanks much for both of your responses, helpful information for such an important decision. Nice to hear about your ballistics test. This morning with a Google search I found this post on The High Road forums; a gentleman emailed Speer with basically my exact question and this was the response he received:

"

This is the response that I received from Speer;

Tim: the "SB" determination is caliber dependent on barrel length. In 9mm, the SB is made for 4" guns, your wife did good selecting that ammo.

Shoot Straight!
Coy Getman
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Sr. Technical Coordinator
(866) 286-7436 ext 5351

"
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote