Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:41   #1
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Preserve hunt for elk?

Anyone done it or know about it?

I live a long long long way from Elk country. Plus populations are dropping out west so the average guy tags out 1 out of 5 from what I've read.

There is a place I've hunted before - a "game preserve" that has elk. 5x5's and up for the taking. They guarantee the shot. It's not cheap, but to get the same opportunity out west would likely cost more, plus airfare and such.

Freezing my heinie for 4 days while packing over a few mountains isn't my idea of a hunting vacation. I can handle some hiking (which this will require) but I'm no Daniel Boone.

Thoughts on this? I find Elk to be such a majestic animal. I'd love a pile of meat and a cool mount.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59   #2
alexanderg23

the meat is the best I'd do it if I could
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07   #3
vafish

"Preserve" hunts are usually high fence hunts. Where the elk are raised by people on a farm.

If you like to drive out into a field and shoot domestic cows it should be just the ticket for you.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:48   #4
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

This is a bit more rustic than drive-to-a-field-and-shoot. This guy owns an entire mountain. I've been there before, shot a boar, watched some other game.

My fear IS something a bit too canned, but the only thing this guy does canned is the boar - because Russian's, left to their own, would destroy the entire habitat. (Only knowing what a boar could do makes me realize it's canned. You go out wandering for them, then if you don't find anything, they send out the hounds.)

The rest of his game is free-roaming for a lot of area. It's obviously fenced somewhere, but it ain't no corral.

Is it a 4-day stalk? No. One-day stalk? Barely. Can you drive up on em and shoot? Nope. Still have to get to the wild animals like every other one.

Last edited by Dennis in MA; 09-22-2010 at 11:50..
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 23:38   #5
Hummer
Big Member

I'm not inclined to criticize others for their method of hunting but personally I wouldn't feel good about hunting elk within high fenced land. I've seen such situations and they're pretty sad. I once drew a coveted Ranching for Wildlife tag for Pronghorn on a large fenced ranch where the type of fence clearly limited the animals' escape. I didn't like it and won't hunt that situation again.

I hunt free roaming elk and deer on National Forest land, and kill an elk almost every year. Last year I took my 21st elk. It is seldom easy, usually a tough grind, but always an adventure in the most beautiful country. Elk hunting offers the most exhilarating and rewarding experiences I've ever had.

Dennis, I suggest you avoid the fenced preserve hunt. If you want more structure and guidance there are many good ranches that offer quality hunts on prime land for free roaming animals, and a good guide can teach you a lot and give you confidence to maybe do it on your own in the future.

Only you can evaluate what kind of hunt is being offered, but I'd be very leery of any hunt where the word "guarantee" becomes part of the conversation.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 17:37   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I'm not inclined to criticize others for their method of hunting but personally I wouldn't feel good about hunting elk within high fenced land. I've seen such situations and they're pretty sad. I once drew a coveted Ranching for Wildlife tag for Pronghorn on a large fenced ranch where the type of fence clearly limited the animals' escape. I didn't like it and won't hunt that situation again.

I hunt free roaming elk and deer on National Forest land, and kill an elk almost every year. Last year I took my 21st elk.

It is seldom easy, usually a tough grind, but always an adventure in the most beautiful country. Elk hunting offers the most exhilarating and rewarding experiences I've ever had.

Dennis, I suggest you avoid the fenced preserve hunt. If you want more structure and guidance there are many good ranches that offer quality hunts on prime land for free roaming animals, and a good guide can teach you a lot and give you confidence to maybe do it on your own in the future.

Only you can evaluate what kind of hunt is being offered, but I'd be very leery of any hunt where the word "guarantee" becomes part of the conversation.

I 'really hate throwing this statement around', but as a former guide for 25 years, and hunting all my life now 59 years old. I agree with this post by Hummer ALL of it, I just highlighted in blue my favorite part...

Well said Hummer....

Good hunting amigo.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 09-26-2010 at 17:38..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 18:13   #7
paynter2
It ain't over

The animals are raised for the purpose of being sold for harvest. If you don't harvest one, someone else will. So, if you decide to do it, don't feel guilty.

That said, it won't be rewarding like finding and shooting a free range animal that has every means of escape. I don't see any comparison.

Do what you feel comfortable with. Have fun and good luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 17:51   #8
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

This is interesting. I'm liking these responses. Giving me a perspective on the whole she-bang.

Let me toss this out: What about buffalo hunts? Both Duke Venturino and Clint Smith wrote proudly about their "adventure" buffalo hunting. (I swear they did, yet can't find the articles online.) 100-200 yds - not much stalking. Known herd. Basically "shooting a cow."

What's the consensus on this and is there a difference?
Old 09-27-2010, 20:31   #9
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
This is interesting. I'm liking these responses. Giving me a perspective on the whole she-bang.

Let me toss this out: What about buffalo hunts? Both Duke Venturino and Clint Smith wrote proudly about their "adventure" buffalo hunting. (I swear they did, yet can't find the articles online.) 100-200 yds - not much stalking. Known herd. Basically "shooting a cow."

What's the consensus on this and is there a difference?
I recall reading the same article a few years ago.

I don't think we have any herds of free roaming bison, except for maybe in the national parks like Yellowstone, so any bison hunt you go on is just going to vary by how restrained the bison are. Does the fence enclose 1 acre, 100 acres 1,000 acres or more?

While is some ways I consider it the same as a canned elk hunt, it's also different because with elk there at least is the opportunity to hunt them in the wild.

I had a good friend of mine go on a canned hunt, the other guy that went with him shot a bison, gave me a steak that would have made Fred Flinstone happy. My friend ended up shooting some sort of exotic sheep. In both cases the animals aren't available to shoot in the wild. It's not really a hunt I think I would enjoy, but that's a moot point because I don't have the money to afford a hunt like that anyway.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:39   #10
tjpet

Utah's the only lower 48 state with a wild buffalo herd. They tend to spend their time in the Henry Mts. around the Dirty Devil river.

I was lucky enough to draw out 25 years ago and it was one hell of a hunt. These buffalo, like Western elk, have evolved from plains animals into mountain dwellers. It was strange to glass for buffs in the high country but that's where the herd runs for the most part. The killing was the easy part. Cutting up the beast and getting him out proved tough and time consuming but the meat, hide, and now-mounted head made it all worth the effort.

I can see where canned hunts, especially for Easterners, make practical sense. But nothing will hold a candle to the real thing. You might as well stalk a cow in a field and pop her. A great game animal like an elk deserves a decent fair chase, stalk, and death. Save up and head for the West. You'll never regret the decision.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 23:17   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Deleted by:

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 10-09-2010 at 09:15..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote