Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:41   #1
collegedude

affordable culinary school in manila?

Is there an affordable culinary school in manila? I'm inspired of becoming a chef someday. I came accross some culinary arts school in manila but its too expensive you got to have a million to take the whole course. I also heard of magsaysay shipping lines offering culinary arts much cheaper than the leading culinary school in manila. I think zord our fellow BOG can give some insight of how to become a chef.

Last edited by collegedude; 09-24-2010 at 12:43..
collegedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:50   #2
bulm540

I;ll try to get some info from my brother. He went to CAIA in SAn Francisco. They are in singapore watching the F1 race.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45   #3
i_am_infinity
Pang Altar

collegedude u have PM

BOG #6
i_am_infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11   #4
DragonEye
Spits230grFMJs

You can "test the water" first by enrolling in short courses if you haven't already. I took a Heny Sison class one time in Japanese cooking. Half day class with hands-on cooking by a Japanese chef. Never got to be a chef but the experience was worth it. =)
DragonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 20:45   #5
kristiansen
Birdwatcher

collegedude:

i'm not a chef but my 2 cents.there is no decent culinary school that is "cheap".all of them have fees on 6 digit petot.except for short courses.unfortunately,most hotels/restos will likely hire somebody with diploma in culinary/pastry than with certificate on short courses.different schools here cater to different markets.goodluck.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46   #6
Allegra

cooking....cooking? magandang hobby yan a
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04   #7
Wp.22

Send a message via Yahoo to Wp.22
Diba sabi nila that the best ang luto ng mga mother natin. Pwede tayo magtayo ng cooking school na sila ang magtuturo. Pwede natin tawagin "cooking ng ina mo culinary school" im sure may makakalaban yan na almost same name din hehehrhe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wp.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36   #8
royal glockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegedude View Post
Is there an affordable culinary school in manila? I'm inspired of becoming a chef someday. I came accross some culinary arts school in manila but its too expensive you got to have a million to take the whole course. I also heard of magsaysay shipping lines offering culinary arts much cheaper than the leading culinary school in manila. I think zord our fellow BOG can give some insight of how to become a chef.

yes, my son graduated from MICAH (magsaysay institute of culinary arts and hospitality) way back in 2008. The cost for 4-months training was 100k then. These days i guess it's about 180k na. Fortunately, my son's already in luxury vessel of magsaysay for almost a year na.
BOG #4540
"PERCEPTION DIFFERS FROM REALITY"
royal glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21   #9
i_am_infinity
Pang Altar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
cooking....cooking? magandang hobby yan a
Fafa A, pwede mo gawing hobby yan kasi mahal mga tuition and dapat luto ka lagi ng Wagyu. Kobe, Foie Gras, Caviar...ay teka ano ba pagkain ng maid nyo?

BOG #6
i_am_infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 13:04   #10
Wp.22

Send a message via Yahoo to Wp.22
I dont know if this school is affordable two of my sisters went here pero hindi full course yung isa for baking lang tapos yung isa di ko maremember. Company sponsored eh http://www.iscahm.com/index.cfm

Wp.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 14:46   #11
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal glockster View Post
yes, my son graduated from MICAH (magsaysay institute of culinary arts and hospitality) way back in 2008. The cost for 4-months training was 100k then. These days i guess it's about 180k na. Fortunately, my son's already in luxury vessel of magsaysay for almost a year na.
What was your sons entry work position in the ship?

PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 17:30   #12
Allegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_infinity View Post
Fafa A, pwede mo gawing hobby yan kasi mahal mga tuition and dapat luto ka lagi ng Wagyu. Kobe, Foie Gras, Caviar...ay teka ano ba pagkain ng maid nyo?

di ko alam kinakain nya e, tanong ko pagbalik nya from the driving range

dapat may taga tikim ako, lahat sakin masarap e
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:42   #13
royal glockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMA97 View Post
What was your sons entry work position in the ship?
commis trainee bro.
BOG #4540
"PERCEPTION DIFFERS FROM REALITY"
royal glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 15:30   #14
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal glockster View Post
commis trainee bro.
Nice.

It used to be that one has to do pots and pans or kitchen utility just to start work in a cruise ships kitchen even if you have prior local or land based 5 star hotel experience. Work up the ladder so they say.

Kaya pala ang mahal ng culinary schools.

Thanks for the info bro.

PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 22:40   #15
Capt.Barbel
Humanda sila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegedude View Post
Bro, try the ICA-International Cuisine Academy, located in sucat pque. Its a very practical school and affordable coz its only 9 months course then you'll get your diploma. that includes your OJT in 5 star hotels like dusit, marriot etc.The courses are culinary, baking and garde manger(complete) unlike in other school you only pay for culinary course only and too expensive. Free uniforms and a set of knives. I graduated last year and now im a Demi Chef here in Skycity hotel Auckland, New Zealand. But bro to become a chef is not that easy.

here's the kitchen brigade(bottom to top)

Apprentice chef (most of them are students)
Commi or Commis Chef
Demi Chef
Chef de Partie
Sous Chef
Head Chef
Executive Chef

Last edited by Capt.Barbel; 10-05-2010 at 22:54..
Capt.Barbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 22:16   #16
kidlat_tahimik

OT:
@ Capt. Barbel bro magkano na ang fee sa skywalk/ skyjump dyan sa tower?
kidlat_tahimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08   #17
collegedude

very interesting, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Barbel View Post
Bro, try the ICA-International Cuisine Academy, located in sucat pque. Its a very practical school and affordable coz its only 9 months course then you'll get your diploma. that includes your OJT in 5 star hotels like dusit, marriot etc.The courses are culinary, baking and garde manger(complete) unlike in other school you only pay for culinary course only and too expensive. Free uniforms and a set of knives. I graduated last year and now im a Demi Chef here in Skycity hotel Auckland, New Zealand. But bro to become a chef is not that easy.

here's the kitchen brigade(bottom to top)

Apprentice chef (most of them are students)
Commi or Commis Chef
Demi Chef
Chef de Partie
Sous Chef
Head Chef
Executive Chef
collegedude is offline   Reply With Quote