Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2010, 13:43   #1
Obi Wan

Hairbrain Idea or Not?

I recently picked up a box of Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+ with the intention of using them for SD in my Kahr P9 instead of the 124gr +P Gold Dots I've been shooting. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono, so my thought was based on reading that the +P+ round in a shorter 3.5"-4" barrel would essentially be equivalent to the +P round in a standard 4.5" - 5" barrel. In addition, that the velocity from a longer barrel may be too fast to allow the bullet to expand.

Anyway, it wasn't until I opened the box that I determined that I had the old model Hydra-Shok versus the new design bullet without the center post.

Inasmuch as some reports claim the post can fail to work as designed when shot through a couple of layers of clothing, I got to thinkin'....

That is, would it be crazy to use something like silicone caulking to fill the hollow tip of the Hydra-Shok bullet, much like some of the new design bullets with the polymer tips?

Has this been done before and tested, or is it an inane idea???

Would it in any way affect potential liability for "altering" the original bullet design? And, thus, may not be worth the effort even if it makes sense???

This is a serious question, as crazy as it may sound. If it's nuts, kindly say so. If not, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri

Last edited by Obi Wan; 09-26-2010 at 14:28..
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 13:48   #2
1 old 0311

The potential liability would SCARE ME TO DEATH. The only thing worse are the idiots with the "Make My Day" engraved on their slide.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 14:07   #3
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
... the idiots with the "Make My Day" engraved on their slide.
Well, I do agree with you that the idjits who 'advertise' their tough-guy mentality with an engraving such as that appear to be asking for trouble.

While the question of liability did cross my mind, the fact that it would be an attempt to make the bullet perform better based on new design thinking made me wonder if it really wouldn't be a legal liability other than in some neo-Lib's mind. But, then, I'm not a lawyer... I just watch TV.

Hmm...
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Old 09-26-2010, 16:08   #4
fredj338

Two things, the Fed loads isn't any faster in most pistols over the SGD load, regradless of it's +P+ deignation. Filling JHP w/ wax, silicone, etc has been done since JHP were available. Results are mixed, somethimes it works great, sometimes fails miserabley. Any slight edge you could get is just not worth the effort IMO. If you feel undergunned w/ the 9mm, step up to a bigger caliber.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 16:11   #5
cowboy1964

I'm undecided about +P+ or even +P in a 3" barrel. The velocity loss is so great I think they basically act like a standard pressure round. They really need 4"+ of barrel to get up to speed. Kind of like .357 Magnum. Anything less than a 4" barrel is wasting a lot of velocity.

I think I will probably go with Gold Dot 124gr in my PM9. It's easy to find.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-26-2010 at 16:13..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 17:51   #6
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Two things, the Fed loads isn't any faster in most pistols over the SGD load, regradless of it's +P+ deignation.
That's good to know. I wish I had a chrono, but just never invested in one so I can only go on published reports or data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Filling JHP w/ wax, silicone, etc has been done since JHP were available. Results are mixed, somethimes it works great, sometimes fails miserabley. Any slight edge you could get is just not worth the effort IMO. If you feel undergunned w/ the 9mm, step up to a bigger caliber.
Feeling "undergunned" isn't the issue since I'm thinking about trading my .40 in on another 9mm to simplify things, and don't own a .45 at this point.

In reality, I didn't go searching for this +P+ load out of feeling that my normal 124 gr +P Gold Dot loads wouldn't 'hurt' someone if need be. A friend decided to sell them and I'd just recently had read that the +P+ was best for the shorter barrels (Kahr P9, et), so I took them.

It sounds like I should forget my idea and leave them be.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45   #7
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I'm undecided about +P+ or even +P in a 3" barrel. The velocity loss is so great I think they basically act like a standard pressure round. They really need 4"+ of barrel to get up to speed. Kind of like .357 Magnum. Anything less than a 4" barrel is wasting a lot of velocity.

I think I will probably go with Gold Dot 124gr in my PM9. It's easy to find.
But your std pressure GD is going to lose vel as well. The point of the +P is to maintain a higher vel level from the short bbl. So +P loads do give you higher vel than any std load in any short bbl, you'll get more flash & blast for it though.
Quote:
In reality, I didn't go searching for this +P+ load out of feeling that my normal 124 gr +P Gold Dot loads wouldn't 'hurt' someone if need be. A friend decided to sell them and I'd just recently had read that the +P+ was best for the shorter barrels (Kahr P9, et), so I took them.
Unless he gave you enough to test fire at least one full mag form each of your carry mags, I wqould shoot it for practice ammo. If you have enoug ot test & still carry, that load is fine w/o mods. The HS, while not "new", still works.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-27-2010 at 09:48..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote