SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43   #1
CDR_Glock

Knives

Mas

I have been focusing upon carrying knives for backup to my pistol, recently. I still carry my Glock 23 or 27 with a second magazine for potential malfunctions. However, I have been carrying different knives (concealed) as a backup for defense, as well as for various utility purposes.

I have and have carried the following knives a few times over the past few months (not all at once):
Cold Steel Master Tanto (6" fixed blade)
Benchmade Infidel Model 3300 (Out the front automatic)
SOG Trident Tanto (Folder)
SOG Pentagon Elite (Folder)
Benchmade Model 42 Balisong
Cold Steel Magnum IX Tanto (9" fixed blade)

What is your advice on the use/carry of knives for self defense? Would jurors consider my 9" blade excessive? Do you carry a knife for self defense?

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I normally have a knife or two on, primarily for utility, but have also spent many hours with many instructors learning their defensive use. For a dedicated backup weapon, I'm still very partial to a compact handgun.

Historically and culturally, the law itself has seen the knife as the weapon of the thug, and the gun as the weapon of the gentleman and lady. That's why so many states have laws allowing for permits to carry guns, and so very few issue permits to carry "weapons," covering serious fighting knives.

Make sure you've checked out the local laws and city ordinances. Many limit concealed fixed blades or prohibit them entirely, and many have blade length limits for folders, and MANY will prohibit the carry of your automatic knife. The site kniferights.org is your friend, and so is the excellent organization behind it.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15   #3
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
I normally have a knife or two on, primarily for utility, but have also spent many hours with many instructors learning their defensive use. For a dedicated backup weapon, I'm still very partial to a compact handgun.

Historically and culturally, the law itself has seen the knife as the weapon of the thug, and the gun as the weapon of the gentleman and lady. That's why so many states have laws allowing for permits to carry guns, and so very few issue permits to carry "weapons," covering serious fighting knives.

Make sure you've checked out the local laws and city ordinances. Many limit concealed fixed blades or prohibit them entirely, and many have blade length limits for folders, and MANY will prohibit the carry of your automatic knife. The site kniferights.org is your friend, and so is the excellent organization behind it.

best,
Mas
You are such a great resource. Thank you. I look forward to any future books that you have coming soon.

I frequently refer to your Handbook of Hand Gunnery. My friend has the Handbook of Concealed Carry.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-11-2010, 21:41   #4
CDR_Glock

Throwing knives

Mas

This is a follow on question. What is your opinion of the throwing knife for self defense? Are the circumstances different if this is being used for defense at home versus around the town? How about exotic items like throwing stars?

I was just curious.

My YouTube Channel:

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25   #5
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Throwing of knives and stars strikes me as high on the "hobby fun list," but low on the self-defense usefulness list. Might suggest you go up one notch on the GATE ladder and get a second opinion on that from our blade expert, Ernest Emerson.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is online now   Reply With Quote