Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:03   #1
KTM950S

Surefire says, "Fits picatinny or universal rails."

Below are my railed guns:

Sights, Optics and Lasers
From left to right: G19 - G20 - HK45 - HK45 USP Tactical

Sights, Optics and Lasers
From left to right: G19 - G20 - HK45 USP Tactical - HK45 (pls.- don't ask why I switched the order).

I'd like to rotate the X300 between these 4 guns. Surefire says the X300 "Fits picatinny or universal rails", but as you can see each gun sports a completely different rail profile. That's where I'm getting confused. "Picatinny or Universal" denotes two different rail types, yet...as you can see...pictured above are four different ones.

Also, out of the four, which ones are the universal and pictinny? And what are the other two called? If I'm going to need an adapter could you please point out which one.

I'd like to get my online order in today, so if someone could please clarify it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ETA: Please feel free to recommend other accessories, i.e., dual switch, grip switch, etc., that you feel adds considerable valuable advantage when coupled with the X300.
KTM950S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:07   #2
IMightBeWrong
Straw Dog

I've never had a surefire before but if they're anything like streamlight weapon lights they'll come with replaceable rail adapter keys.

"One of the greatest joys known to man is to take a flight into ignorance in search of knowledge..." - Robert Lynd
IMightBeWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11   #3
speicher

The HK45 would be the only one pictured that would use a Picatinny rail key, all others would be classified as Universal rails.

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.
speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:14   #4
KTM950S

Don't see anywhere on their website where they talk about "replaceable rail adapter keys". They talk about "adapter mounts" but those are for non-railed guns.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:14   #5
speicher

Quote:
Originally Posted by speicher View Post
The HK45 would be the only one pictured that would use a Picatinny rail key, all others would be classified as Universal rails.
Meaning that your X300 comes with rail keys for different rail types, and can be used with virtually any firearm you would want to put it on...BTW, great choice, SureFire truely is the best!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:20   #6
voyager4520
-----

The USP has its own proprietary accessory rail. If you have something that fits picatinny/universal rails you need an adaptor to put it on that USP.

Here are a few from ProMag: http://www.promagindustries.com/Sear...x=0&Search.y=0

And some from GG&G: http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?cat=57&parents=56

The only problem with an adapter is that it may mount the accessory much lower than normal so that the activation button may even be below the trigger guard.

Last edited by voyager4520; 10-02-2010 at 11:39..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21   #7
speicher

As far as accessories, SF has what is called the "DG" switch, which mounts a pressure switch to the front strap and enabling you to control the unit that way. It is pretty much perfect right out of the box.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:23   #8
speicher

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
The USP has its own proprietary accessory rail. If you have something that fits picatinny/universal rails you need an adaptor to put it on that USP.
Sorry OP, wasn't aware of any adapter needed for HK's rail type, thought Universal rail keys would work just fine.

Old 10-02-2010, 13:53   #9
KTM950S

Okay, I'm still a little confused. If I order the Surefire X300 will it mount to all four of my rails right out of the box? Please explain, one-by-one, which rail is a "universal" and which is a "picatinny"?

Could you link me to where Surefire explains what rail keys are, and where it states they are included in with the X300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speicher View Post
As far as accessories, SF has what is called the "DG" switch, which mounts a pressure switch to the front strap and enabling you to control the unit that way. It is pretty much perfect right out of the box.
Yes, I saw that speicher. Surefire states the following:

Quote:
Description

DG
For surgical control, the DG remote switch uses a minimal center-mounted pad. This allows the operator to activate the light with finger pressure without needing to move a finger from the grip.

The following list shows the specific firearm that each DG model fits:

DG-11 Glock 17, 17L, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 31, 32, 34, 35 (with rails)
So that would cover my G19 and G20 - correct?

And then it states:

Quote:

DG-19 H&K USP Full Size 40/45 (using MR09)
So I'm assuming they're saying it covers all full size HK's in 45 regardless of whether it's just a straight HK, a USP, a USP Tactical, a USP Expert, or a USP Elite - correct?

So that would cover my HK45 and USP Tactical 45 - correct?

Or are they saying it just covers all full size HK 45's in the USP lineup? And look at where it ends in a link in parenthesis, (using MR09). What's that all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post

Here are a few from ProMag: http://www.promagindustries.com/Sear...x=0&Search.y=0

And some from GG&G: http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?cat=57&parents=56

The only problem with an adapter is that it may mount the accessory much lower than normal so that the activation button may even be below the trigger guard.
Are you saying I need to order one of these adapters in order to mount the X300 to my USP Tactical 45, and that the DG switch will be less than ideal because it will have to mount much lower than normal?
Old 10-02-2010, 14:01   #10
KTM950S

Regarding the DG switches. I've read random reports that these switches are a unnecessary evil in that they tend to activate the light at unwanted times due to the switches sensitivity. Is there any truth to this, or is this just internet scuttlebutt/operator error?
Old 10-02-2010, 14:12   #11
Ogie

Surefire also sells the adapter for the HK pistols although the GG&G is cheaper and seems to be just as well made.

The X300 will fit on your Glocks as is.

Is the HK45 the full size or the compact? On the full size it will fit as is, but I don't believe it will on the HK45c without an adapter.

You will need at least two different DG switches for all the pistols you show.
Ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 14:15   #12
Ogie

As I look again, it looks like an HK45 full size. You should be good to go out of the box with the X300.

The DG switches work well. No problems that I am aware of.
Old 10-02-2010, 15:17   #13
KTM950S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Surefire also sells the adapter for the HK pistols although the GG&G is cheaper and seems to be just as well made.

The X300 will fit on your Glocks as is.

Is the HK45 the full size or the compact? On the full size it will fit as is, but I don't believe it will on the HK45c without an adapter.

You will need at least two different DG switches for all the pistols you show.
Okay Ogie - So as far as the switches...I'm going to order the DG11 and DG19. The DG11 will take care of my G19 and G20, and the DG19 will take care of both my HK's - correct?

I know swapping the X300 from weapon-to-weapon is a cinch, but how easy is it to swap switches? Should I order 2 DG19 switches - one each for the HK45 and HK45 USP Tactical?

Also, Here's how they Surefire describes the DG19 on their website...

Quote:
DG-19 — H&K USP Full Size 40/45 (using MR09)
Can you explain what that MR09 is all about? Do I need to order this adapter mount?

Quote:
As I look again, it looks like an HK45 full size. You should be good to go out of the box with the X300.

The DG switches work well. No problems that I am aware of.
Sorry - I know I'm being redundant, but one more time before I do my online order...just to make sure. Thank you.

All I need to order is the X300, DG11, and DG19 and I'm up and running, 100% good-to-go, with a fingerless grip switch activated weapon light system for all four guns (G19, G20, HK45, and HK45 USP Tactical), and no need to worry about that MR09 thingy - correct?

Last edited by KTM950S; 10-02-2010 at 15:35..
Old 10-02-2010, 16:41   #14
Ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM950S View Post
Okay Ogie - So as far as the switches...I'm going to order the DG11 and DG19. The DG11 will take care of my G19 and G20, and the DG19 will take care of both my HK's - correct?

I know swapping the X300 from weapon-to-weapon is a cinch, but how easy is it to swap switches? Should I order 2 DG19 switches - one each for the HK45 and HK45 USP Tactical?

Also, Here's how they Surefire describes the DG19 on their website...

Can you explain what that MR09 is all about? Do I need to order this adapter mount?

Sorry - I know I'm being redundant, but one more time before I do my online order...just to make sure. Thank you.

All I need to order is the X300, DG11, and DG19 and I'm up and running, 100% good-to-go, with a fingerless grip switch activated weapon light system for all four guns (G19, G20, HK45, and HK45 USP Tactical), and no need to worry about that MR09 thingy - correct?
You will still need the MR09 adapter for the USP Tactical.

What I can recall from memory is that the DG11 is good for both Glocks.

The DG19 works in conjunction with the MR09 to fit on USP full size pistols of which your USP Tactical qualifies.

I am not 100% positive about the DG19 working with the HK45 full size. You should probably call them about that since that lineup(DG19, etc.) has been around for a while and the HK45s are fairly new. The DG19 will work with your USP Tactical and the MR09 adapter.

Once again, you may want to look at the GG&G adapter since there is a fairly large price differential with little if anything to gain from purchasing the Surefire adapter. They both look well built and the GG&G was around $40.00 if I recall correctly. If someone knows something different, I'd be happy to be corrected.
Old 10-02-2010, 17:54   #15
KTM950S

Quote:
You will still need the MR09 adapter for the USP Tactical.

What I can recall from memory is that the DG11 is good for both Glocks.

The DG19 works in conjunction with the MR09 to fit on USP full size pistols of which your USP Tactical qualifies.

I am not 100% positive about the DG19 working with the HK45 full size. You should probably call them about that since that lineup(DG19, etc.) has been around for a while and the HK45s are fairly new. The DG19 will work with your USP Tactical and the MR09 adapter.

Once again, you may want to look at the GG&G adapter since there is a fairly large price differential with little if anything to gain from purchasing the Surefire adapter. They both look well built and the GG&G was around $40.00 if I recall correctly. If someone knows something different, I'd be happy to be corrected.
Perfect. So the follwing order will be as follows:

1 ea. X300 for Glock 19, Glock 20, HK45, and HK45 USP Tactical

1 ea. DG11 Grip Switch Assembly for Glock 19 and Glock 20

1 ea. DG19 Grip Switch Assembly for HK45 USP Tactical (unknown if it will fit HK45 - can someone confirm?)

1 ea. MR09 Adapter Mount or aftermarket equivalent for HK45 USP Tactical (Adapter Mounts are not required for the Glock 19, Glock 20, and HK45)

Getting answers to the following questions would help in settle some uneasiness I'm experiencing.

Regarding the DG Grip Switch Assemblies - Are these a pita to swap from gun-to-gun? Do they just slip on and off, or is it better to have a dedicated Grip Switch Assembly for each weapon?

If it's better to have a Grip Switch Assembly for each weapon, then when you disconnect the X300 from one Grip Switch Assembly to utilize on another, is it ok to run your weapon with only a Grip Switch Assembly? Is it a solid mount with no wires dangling when the X300 is detached? Until you're ready to mount a light, is it considered odd to CCW with only a Grip Switch Assembly attached?

What is the proper name for each rail on the 4 guns pictured? I'm assuming the HK45 is a picatinny rail because the pattern is identical to all the quad rails on my AR's - correct? What about the G19 and G20? Between the two they are patterned differently. If one is a "univesal rail" then what's the other one called? And what of the HK45 USP Tactical - what''s its rail name?

Sheesh!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:38   #16
JRS

QUOTE= Perfect. So the follwing order will be as follows:

1 ea. X300 for Glock 19, Glock 20, HK45, and HK45 USP Tactical

1 ea. DG11 Grip Switch Assembly for Glock 19 and Glock 20

1 ea. DG19 Grip Switch Assembly for HK45 USP Tactical (unknown if it will fit HK45 - can someone confirm?) "Unknown" last time I asked SF, but I would assume that it would NOT work

1 ea. MR09 Adapter Mount or aftermarket equivalent for HK45 USP Tactical (Adapter Mounts are not required for the Glock 19, Glock 20, and HK45) Correct, but a non-SF mount MAY place the light in an ever-so-different position than the SF one, causing the SF DG switch to not line up correctly

Regarding the DG Grip Switch Assemblies - Are these a pita to swap from gun-to-gun? Do they just slip on and off, or is it better to have a dedicated Grip Switch Assembly for each weapon? Uh you're misunderstanding how the grip switches attach. They are part of the light, not the gun. Remove the x300 from a gun, the DG switch comes with it. Changing the DG switch from the glock to HK model takes 10 seconds.

If it's better to have a Grip Switch Assembly for each weapon, then when you disconnect the X300 from one Grip Switch Assembly to utilize on another, is it ok to run your weapon with only a Grip Switch Assembly? Is it a solid mount with no wires dangling when the X300 is detached? Until you're ready to mount a light, is it considered odd to CCW with only a Grip Switch Assembly attached?Completely irrelevant, see above answer. A switch cannot stay on a gun without a light to hold it there.

What is the proper name for each rail on the 4 guns pictured? I'm assuming the HK45 is a picatinny rail because the pattern is identical to all the quad rails on my AR's - correct? YESWhat about the G19 and G20? UniversalBetween the two they are patterned differently. No they're not, just more muzzle in front of the light-to-be on the G20If one is a "univesal rail" then what's the other one called? And what of the HK45 USP Tactical - what''s its rail name? Picatinny, but no opening at the front to slide an accessory on, hence the need for an adapter

Sheesh!!! QUOTE
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19   #17
KTM950S

Thank you JRS.
Old 10-05-2010, 13:29   #18
Ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
QUOTE= Perfect. So the follwing order will be as follows:

Correct, but a non-SF mount MAY place the light in an ever-so-different position than the SF one, causing the SF DG switch to not line up correctly
I haven't been able to follow up here but this last is an excellent point. The different adapters work well with just the light. I had never tried adapters with the DG switches.