Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2010, 16:11   #1
kempeh

Banned 9mm ammo?

Is there a list of all of the 9mm ammo that is not legal to carry. I live in Virginia and somebody mentioned that carrying LE federal hst 147 gr is illegal. I was wondering if I could pick the brains of you guys and figure out exactly what is the best and "legal" 9mm ammo to carry.
Old 10-07-2010, 16:15   #2
snwbrdr435

Go find the VA law that states that is illegal.
snwbrdr435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:19   #3
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

What?
Old 10-07-2010, 16:19   #4
kempeh

I guess it's that people say you can't buy the federal hst ammo because it's a law enforcement ammunition. Is that true? I know you can buy it online, but I haven't seen it in any store yet.
Old 10-07-2010, 16:27   #5
VA_Glocker

On same lines I had a question, can one carry hand-gun (in glove compartment or inside luggage) across state lines while traveling in a car?
VA_Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:30   #6
voyager4520
-----

Most ammunition marked "LE" is restricted in sales by the company that makes it. That's why if you see it at a gun store they'll likely tell you it's for LE sale only and the only place civilians can buy it is gun shows or online.

BUT, that doesn't mean certain jurisdictions don't have laws against it. You'd need to research your own local laws, or ask one of your local law enforcement officials, district attorney office representatives, or even ask your state Attorney General's office.
Old 10-07-2010, 16:38   #7
bithabus

Whoever told you that is an idiot. Some States do have ammo laws though. In New Jersey hollowpoint ammo is illegal. In my State of Texas, armor piercing handgun ammo is illegal.

HST is very good ammo. Also good are Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot.
Old 10-07-2010, 16:40   #8
zigzagg321
clever quip

I bought Hornady LE ammo in a gun store here in Ohio. But like the others have said, look up your local laws.

Last edited by zigzagg321; 10-07-2010 at 16:41.. Reason: spelling error
zigzagg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:41   #9
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempeh View Post
Is there a list of all of the 9mm ammo that is not legal to carry. I live in Virginia and somebody mentioned that carrying LE federal hst 147 gr is illegal. I was wondering if I could pick the brains of you guys and figure out exactly what is the best and "legal" 9mm ammo to carry.
No such law in Virginia.

The closest thing is there is a law that makes it illegal to carry certain ammo while you are committing a crime. See:
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.3.HTM

prev | next
18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.
mkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:42   #10
plasticpistol

Armor piercing pistol ammo is illegal in all states as far as I know. NJ no JHP's LMAO
plasticpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:52   #11
matteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bithabus View Post
Whoever told you that is an idiot. Some States do have ammo laws though. In New Jersey hollowpoint ammo is illegal. In my State of Texas, armor piercing handgun ammo is illegal.

HST is very good ammo. Also good are Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot.
X2. Here in WA state we can carry ANY LE marked ammo the whole notion of lawful civilians having different ammo is ridiculous IMHO.
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 19:58   #12
tdb

no such law. if someone who lives IN VA told you that they're full of BS. Now if they were a MD or DC resident trying to pass some of their restrictive laws onto VA, thats another story, hahaha
tdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:01   #13
Feanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempeh View Post
Is there a list of all of the 9mm ammo that is not legal to carry. I live in Virginia and somebody mentioned that carrying LE federal hst 147 gr is illegal.
There are certain states(NY & NJ)where they have senseless, and likely constitutionally illegal ordinances banning hollow point and wadcutter ammunition from general issue, however it is perfectly legal for any armed citizen to both buy, own, and carry hollow points such as HST, Ranger-T, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre and similar loads. The restricted status is purely a factory initiative, and one that does not endear them to many of us. It is completely contrary to the intent of the 2nd for manufactures to supply a superior product to the state, at the expense of the people. Further, the ammo companies have for years now, been screwing the public by only supplying them certain premium loads in boxes of twenty while charging them at a minimum the same, or much more likely, higher price points! For instance, I buy all my ammo from a LE distributor, I purchase Winchester 9mm RA9124TP(Ranger Talon +P)in boxes of 50 for only 18.99 per box. The only option for the private citizen is/was either SXT or the new PDX1 in a box of twenty for $30.00 Plus per box of twenty.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 21:26   #14
Flipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb View Post
no such law. if someone who lives IN VA told you that they're full of BS. Now if they were a MD or DC resident trying to pass some of their restrictive laws onto VA, thats another story, hahaha
Maryland has no such law either. I buy Speer GDHP LE 50 round boxes at Maryland Small Arms Range all the time.
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48   #15
BadAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
No such law in Virginia.

The closest thing is there is a law that makes it illegal to carry certain ammo while you are committing a crime. See:
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.3.HTM

prev | next
18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.
Wow. So they could hit you with this if you used DPX ammo while committing a crime.
BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:33   #16
tx787

Some people choose not to carry LE marked ammo in the event that they have to use it and are asked the question as to why they were carrying LE ammo and not personal protection or self defense (even though many such as Gold Dot are identical products in different boxes and prices).

The flip side is some people prefer to carry LE ammo for that reason believing "if the police choose to use this ammo it must mean it is safe and wouldn't cause unnecessary harm."
tx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:48   #17
banger

I have come to the belief that "L.E." marked ammo or anything for that matter is simply a marketing ploy.

If you want to sell something, just tell people that they CAN'T have it.

Look at the prices they get for "grey market" Blue label Glocks, "Police Special" Beretta's and Remington "Police" shotguns.

With the single exception of a few old style metal parts in the Remington, the "special" weapons are no different than the regular production items.

BUT, like old P.T. Barnum said..."there's a sucker born every minute".

Edit: To prove sometimes it's in the sell...

In a past life I was a firearms instructor for an east coast police dept.. When I would get a guy that just could not qualify, I produce a "special" box of ammunition from my stash.

I would produce a Red box of Federal Target match ammo, explaining how the ammo is special and VERY accurate and expensive.

Most often the subject would fire a much better score and moan at to why he can't carry the "special" ammo on duty, as it is sooo much better.

When the fellow would leave, I would refill the box with Winchester White Box and save it for another person who needed the "special ammo",

It's all in the sell. lol

Last edited by banger; 10-08-2010 at 09:56..
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 15:29   #18
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
In a past life I was a firearms instructor for an east coast police dept.. When I would get a guy that just could not qualify, I produce a "special" box of ammunition from my stash.

I would produce a Red box of Federal Target match ammo, explaining how the ammo is special and VERY accurate and expensive.

Most often the subject would fire a much better score and moan at to why he can't carry the "special" ammo on duty, as it is sooo much better.

When the fellow would leave, I would refill the box with Winchester White Box and save it for another person who needed the "special ammo",

It's all in the sell. lol
Ha! A ballistic placebo! Cool!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 16:38   #19
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

AFAIK, HP's are illegal to carry outside your home but can be had inside your home in New Jersey.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 20:18   #20
BadAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
AFAIK, HP's are illegal to carry outside your home but can be had inside your home in New Jersey.
You can shoot them at the range but they better not be used to stop a criminal because they cause too much damage to that poor boy that was just starting to turn his life around by robbing you!
BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote