SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2010, 21:43   #1
CDR_Glock

Bullet resistant vests

Mas

I figure it should be called that term since I would hate to have a false sense of security if I had one.

I want to get your opinion on a few things,if you don't mind. I don't do things half cocked. I do research and ask experts, like yourself for advice. I have a general training regimen for practice to shoot. I read the State and Federal laws on te use of Carrying Guns and carrying out lethal force if necessary. I have Florida Firearms: Laws, Use and Ownership and Mitch Vilos' book Self Defense Laws in the 50 States.

Here is my first question:

Am I being paranoid for looking into bullet proof vests/body armor? I would only wear it outside of my town where crime is high and only in the cooler months. I figure the peak time to wear it would be from Thanksgiving to New Year given crimes in that period.

I only own 5 guns. 2 are for the range (Ny Kimbers), 3 are for carry depending upon what re weather is like and how deep I am trying to conceal. Is five guns excessive?

I know your philosophy about knives given the laws and court cases. However, as an enthusiast of Balisongs and having recently amassed a large collection (all of which I like to manipulate for fun - I find it therapeutic and helpful to learn new skills). Is it pathologic to be interested in knives as a hobby, adding my desire to shoot and consider body armor? I am a cautious person and don't consider myself to be overly paranoid. I am just cautious.

Thanks for your insight.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 22:09   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I don't see armor as paranoid. Most of us here on GT will have a loaded gun accessible when we go to bed tonight, in case armed intruders force their way into our homes. Why do I have a vest within reach of my bed? In case armed intruders force their way into my home...

I've always worn one when doing police work. I occasionally wear one on the range depending on what's happening there that day. I do occasionally wear them when I'm someplace where I perceive myself to be at risk as a civilian.

For much of my life in Northern New England, I wore one routinely even on my own time in the cold winter months. They're excellent windbreakers, and let you remove one layer of outer clothing, giving you more mobility. That's also the time of year when idiots who don't know how to drive on ice or snow crash into your vehicle, and nearly half of the body armor saves come from vehicular incidents instead of weapons incidents. I was one of them, one chilly Winter day in 1996: Second Chance Save # 682, Kevlar Survivors Club member # 1946. No great war story to go with it, but no less satisfied a body armor customer.

If you're into bali-songs, no reason not to carry one, so long as they are legal where you're carrying them. I carried an original Filipino bali before the coming of the Spyderco (showing my age here...) .

Five guns are only excessive if you're carrying them all at once...but that's just one guy's opinion. And I don't think we knife collectors are "pathological"...

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:59   #3
CDR_Glock

Mas

No need to carry more than 2 guns, at best but I like to just carry a gun and magazine.

I love my Bali's. They're Florida legal. I have almost 2 dozen of different shapes, sizes and material.

I have a custom sheath being made for my Cold Steel Magnum IX Tanto, 9" blade. I also have the Master 6" Tanto by Cold steel that is comforting. Sooooo, I have many to choose from.

I have practiced for the worst but work on the right mentality and frame of mind for Self Defense.

It is with preparation that my actions will serve me when the SHTF.

I am not aggressive and do not have a chip on my shoulder when I carry. It changes nothing how I go from one day to the next. I am no more aggressive when carrying, than I am without.

Thank you, sir.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote