Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2010, 19:19   #1
wrx04

Brass is expensive!

Alright, i just started looking tonight at brass/powder/pimers etc... so i can start reloading as soon as my press arrives. Holy crap! $24.99 for 100 brass cases I can buy 100 winchester bullets at walmart for $32.

What gives? I havent even looked at the prices of primers/bullets/powder yet. I thought reloading was supposed to be CHEAPER than buying ammo
wrx04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:22   #2
PastorDan

It is cheaper in theory. Brass is reusable so you won't have to buy that every time. The start up cost is there but the price per round will come down.

The other problem that eliminates the savings is all the new bullet/powder options that you find to work with. That is my problem now.
PastorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:25   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

What are you buying, 20 mm cases? I have ex-wives who shop better than you!

If you're loading for pistol just look around for once fired cases... there are a million places that deal in them.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:26   #4
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDan View Post
It is cheaper in theory. Brass is reusable so you won't have to buy that every time. The start up cost is there but the price per round will come down.

The other problem that eliminates the savings is all the new bullet/powder options that you find to work with. That is my problem now.
Yeah, im looking at that too. how did you decide what to start with? I dont know what bullets or powder to stock up on initially.

I might just buy some wwb at walmart and shoot them to get the brass instead of buying separately.
Old 10-09-2010, 19:29   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Best advice I can give is see if a gun store or range has once fired brass for sale. Go to bullet and powder company web sites to look for reloading info. Don't go crazy and buy all sorts of powders, primers and bullets. Start with one good load, learn it then go from there.
Have fun and be safe!
Old 10-09-2010, 19:29   #6
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
What are you buying, 20 mm cases? I have ex-wives who shop better than you!

If you're loading for pistol just look around for once fired cases... there are a million places that deal in them.

Jack
First and only place i looked was midwayusa.com. Im looking for 45ACP.....where do i find them? Hook a brother up.
Old 10-09-2010, 19:31   #7
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Best advice I can give is see if a gun store or range has once fired brass for sale. Go to bullet and powder company web sites to look for reloading info. Don't go crazy and buy all sorts of powders, primers and bullets. Start with one good load, learn it then go from there.
Have fun and be safe!
Yeah, i was gonna start with one load and thats it. One brand powder, primer, bullet and thats it. Maybe i should shoot up the 400 rounds of wwb i bought, and just scavenge some cases off the ground at the range.
Old 10-09-2010, 19:31   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Follow DWARREN'S excellent advice... Google 'once fired brass', you won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a company that sells them.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:33   #9
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Follow DWARREN'S excellent advice... Google 'once fired brass', you won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a company that sells them.

Jack
thank you, sir.
Old 10-09-2010, 19:38   #10
Alycon

Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
Yeah, im looking at that too. how did you decide what to start with? I dont know what bullets or powder to stock up on initially.

I might just buy some wwb at walmart and shoot them to get the brass instead of buying separately.
That's exactly what I did. I bought 500 live rounds at a gun show to get started. I used Berry's plated bullets and Bullseye and Unique powders. The combo works great for me. It used to be you could save a lot by reloading pistol ammo, but not so any more. The only time the savings are worth the trouble now days is for large caliber rifle rounds.

Good luck
Alycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:39   #11
ron59
Bustin Caps

Were you not saving your brass BEFORE you even got your reloader?

I probably had 3000 pieces of 9mm on hand before I even got my 550B. Now I have slightly more than a 5gal bucket full.

I have a 5gal bucket almost full of .40, and another two-thirds full of .45ACP. Several coffee cans of .38/.357. A double-handful of .380.

Yes, I'm a brass whore.

Check any ranges near you, especially indoor ones. They usually sell brass they sweep up.

I've yet to buy a piece of "new" brass, and probably never will unless I start loading long-distance rifle stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:39   #12
32dgrz

Look what I found
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167346

Locally try these guys http://www.bluegrassrange.com/index1.php

Great folks. I shoot there when I'm In LOOOOVIL

Last edited by 32dgrz; 10-09-2010 at 19:40..
32dgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:56   #13
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32dgrz View Post

I bought brass from this guy, stuff was pretty good. I haven't gone through it all yet as I bought a few thousand rounds. So far all good stuff, good shape and he shipped it right out.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:06   #14
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32dgrz View Post
Look what I found
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167346

Locally try these guys http://www.bluegrassrange.com/index1.php

Great folks. I shoot there when I'm In LOOOOVIL
Thats the only indoor place i shoot at. Here's a question for ya, is it wrong to pick up the brass laying on the floor (or in the buckets in the corner) at an indoor range. Is that technically range property or is it free game?
Old 10-09-2010, 20:07   #15
KB2MBC
NRA Life Member

Check out Gunbroker.com I bought 2000 once-fired .45acp for something like $80
KB2MBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 20:11   #16
wrx04

Oh, and i was just about to buy some bullet trays/primers/powder online, and they charge a "hazmat fee" on top of regular shipping. Total was $108 for the stuff but $190 after shipping. F that. I guess you cant buy that crap online?
Old 10-09-2010, 20:12   #17
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2MBC View Post
Check out Gunbroker.com I bought 2000 once-fired .45acp for something like $80
Nice. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:16   #18
VN350X10

You're in luck....45ACP brass is like flycrap, and it just about doesn't wear out. I've got some that the headstamp is ALMOST readable, but it still functions properly in a 1911.
NOW, if you find yourself getting into a 10MM, buy new brass from Starline. Every place that I've found once-fired 10MM is listed as from a "law enforcement" range. Problem is, only agency that still uses 10MM in any real quantity is the F.B.I. and they run it thru H&K MP-10's. Like any other H&K auto or semi-auto rifle, they have the fluted chamber & the brass is JUNK. I've had some split on my first SIZING, never mind firing !
Just a heads up, with .45 you'll lose the brass before you wear it out.

Load Safe !

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 20:21   #19
n2extrm

Buy a pound of powder and 1K primers at your local shop. Once you know you like what you are going to use use buy it in bulk online. Primers you are going to have to just put a bunch on order and wait it out. I usually order 5K of each size at one time. I buy 4# or 8# jugs of powder. Some times multiple 4 or 8# jugs. I try to get a good sized order with friends so we can split up the fees.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:41   #20
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Buy a pound of powder and 1K primers at your local shop. Once you know you like what you are going to use use buy it in bulk online. Primers you are going to have to just put a bunch on order and wait it out. I usually order 5K of each size at one time. I buy 4# or 8# jugs of powder. Some times multiple 4 or 8# jugs. I try to get a good sized order with friends so we can split up the fees.
Thats what i thought. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:44   #21
Colorado4Wheel

Starline has 500# 45acp for about 78.

You need to avoid purchasing from anyplace that sells any reloading component in small quantities. That will make reloading far to expensive and not worth the trouble from a cost perspective.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:47   #22
32dgrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
Thats the only indoor place i shoot at. Here's a question for ya, is it wrong to pick up the brass laying on the floor (or in the buckets in the corner) at an indoor range. Is that technically range property or is it free game?
Can't tell you that. I shot Blazers when I was there. Around here you can pick up anything on the ground. The buckets are the ranges so no touch
32dgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 21:18   #23
themighty9mm

Definatly go with once fired. You can often find it even on the forum want ads section. Like others have said once you get that cost out of the way its completly reusable. I'm not so sure I even see the point in buying new brass
Big question, why havnt you been saving yours?
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 21:19   #24
sig2009

I know. I have scrounged 23 5 gal buckets of it! Guess I will never have to buy!
Old 10-09-2010, 21:38   #25
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by themighty9mm View Post
Definatly go with once fired. You can often find it even on the forum want ads section. Like others have said once you get that cost out of the way its completly reusable. I'm not so sure I even see the point in buying new brass
Big question, why havnt you been saving yours?
I never even thought about reloading until about 2 months ago. I've only been shooting for about 2 years.

On top of that, i'm planning on reloading in .45acp. And are you ready for this....i have never fired a .45 in my life.....even to this day. I just bought my first 1911 (STI Trojan) last week, and the damn thing had to go back to the factory already cause the barrel bushing was too tight and woundnt come off. I hope i like the caliber and 1911 platform for that matter, but i think i will.

I have kept some of my 9mm brass, so maybe in the future i will play with the G19 too, but initially the STI will get almost all the trigger time