Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:30   #1
tdc57

Hornady lock N Load Case Prep Center (review) with lots of pics.

Hey guy’s I decided to spend a little money to simplify my life. I recently purchased the Hornady lock N Load Case Prep center from a local store. At first glace it appeared to fill all of needs without to much overcomplication and space.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Here’s how Hornady puts it.. <o:p></o:p>
The Hornady Lock-N-Load Power Case Prep Center is the first tool on the market to combine all the necessary case prep tools and a power trimmer into one convenient unit, saving valuable real estate on any reloading bench, as well as precious time during the case prep process. The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Lock-N-Load</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Power</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Case</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Prep</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Center</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> includes a power trimmer, chamfer and deburring tools, primer pocket cleaner and five neck brushes.<o:p></o:p>
This is how I put it.. <o:p></o:p>

Power case trimmer (yeah me!) Haaa <o:p></o:p>
  • Drill press / Horizontal design ensures that no brass shavings get into the case’s<o:p></o:p>
  • Micro adjustable to 1/1000” or .001<o:p></o:p>
  • Trims casing from ĺ” to 3 ľ” long <o:p></o:p>
  • (7) Pilots included in the following calibers (22, 6mm, .270, .30, .38 and .45) All other pilots will need to be purchased separately. <o:p></o:p>
Basically it provides you with everything you’ll need to properly trim your brass with the exception the of (Shell Holder)!.. NOTE: I was told it uses only (Hornady) shell holders.. IDK but whatever.. <o:p></o:p>
The Second thing this tool does is provides you with is a complete (power) case Prep center / all in one brass prep station. That’s right no more turning anything by hand, and lets face it guys, at 45 yrs old my hands, fingers and writs are not what they used to be, Hahahaa. <o:p></o:p>

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Prep</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Center</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> functions Includes: <o:p></o:p>
  • Chamfer / Deburing bits <o:p></o:p>
  • Primer pocket cleaner / brushes (Large and Small) included <o:p></o:p>
  • Neck brushes (5) included <o:p></o:p>

Optional items that are available for purchase: <o:p></o:p>
  • Primer pocket uniformer<o:p></o:p>
  • Primer pocket reamer<o:p></o:p>
  • Flash hole deburing tool <o:p></o:p>
This is what I got for it.. <o:p></o:p>
Reloading<o:p></o:p>

The BAD / Things I didn’t like about it. <o:p></o:p>
  • It came BROKE!. OMFG.. Hornady!!.. what the hell.. I was shocked! This new toy / tool just cost me $400+ and it’s was never put tother right!.. (please) see pics for WTH?? Total embarrassment for the American worker / NO QC and I will be calling them Monday Morning.. I was truly expecting something that is Dillon quality.. I’ll let you be the judge for yourself.. <o:p></o:p>
  • There are NO.. Reference marks to accurately let you see how you are adjusting your cut on the case length.. I don't like this!.. Maybe I’m missing something here? It’s new, it’s late, I’m a little pissed it came broke and yes at this point I’ve been drinking little. But I just don't see it, it’s all trail and error until you get it set. IDK it hard to tell if I’m just *****ing / being picky at this point so I’ll stop here. <o:p></o:p>
  • The shell holder plate or the upper part does not match perfectly with the cutter.. Hahahaa.. IDK.. I again maybe I’m just being picky? Maybe I was expecting a little more quality out of it.. Again it off a small bit, and yes the pilots will guide the brass mouth on the cutters, but again shouldn’t it be press quality here? <o:p></o:p>
  • Well at this point.. I’m just not impressed / it’s not Dillon quality, it just above “Harbor Freight” quality.. <o:p></o:p>

The IDK / Things I’m still out to lunch on. <o:p></o:p>
  • I don't know how long this machine is going to last with Plastic gears? Again WTH Hornady… Are you’re designing things to brake?? I wish they would have used Metal gears.. See pics of what I’m talking about.. <o:p></o:p>
  • I’m a big guy (6” 2’ – 210 lbs) with big hands and I’m having issues with space.. I need to figure out how to place all of the prep dies and still have room for my hands to fit.. Again I think it’s just late and the booze, but again IDK? I might end up losing the chip catcher tray to gain extra working room.. It’s TBD.. <o:p></o:p>
The Good / Things I liked. <o:p></o:p>

• It’s all power and it’s really easy on the hands, well that is until you get your knuckles scraped up from touching one of the other moving bits.. Hahaa <o:p></o:p>
  • It’s easy to switch between calibers <o:p></o:p>
  • It’s relatively quite.. I was expecting it to be much, much louder, late night prepping sessions will / should not be a concern.. <o:p></o:p>
  • Small footprint. It does not take up a lot of room <o:p></o:p>
  • I like the large T trimmer handle <o:p></o:p>
On to the pics.. <o:p></o:p>

Last edited by tdc57; 10-10-2010 at 02:39..
tdc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31   #2
tdc57

New toy.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
New toy is broken and lose.. <o:p></o:p>
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31   #3
tdc57

Got to fix it.. What… Plastic gears… Booo.. Booooo.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Everything is tight now but it’s still lose due to the design.. IDK what they were or weren’t thinking here.. <o:p></o:p>
Ok.. This is how I should have gotten it.. <o:p></o:p>
Old 10-10-2010, 02:32   #4
tdc57

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Here’s everything it came with <o:p></o:p>
Here is what it looks like with all the prep station area used.. See not a lot of room… <o:p></o:p>
Anyway.. That’s what I got.. I’m going to be putting it thought it paces all day tomorrow to see how it runs and performs in the real world.. ie my garage.. Hahaha..

Thanks for your time everybody..

TDC..
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49   #5
The Machinist
No Compromise

I'm insanely jealous. I don't do a huge volume of reloading, but I live to buy toys I want, but don't need.

What's holding me back, is the price, and I'll bet the electric motor was made in China. I don't think the plastic gears are all that bad, though. They run quieter, and should last a while, considering they don't have to transmit a lot of power.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:10   #6
n2extrm

Thanks for posting this. I look forward to hearing the review of the operations it preforms.

Sad to see you had to "rebuild it" before you ever used it.

I have a Redding and a Hornady case trimmer, the regular hand operated lathe type. I do believe the Hornady cuts a bit better or cleaner at half the cost of the Redding. However I could never get a 223 shell holder and as you said they are the only one that works on their stuff. The hole in the center of the holder is too small on all others I tried and they will not work.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:03   #7
msinc

Thanks for posting. I was considering one of these but the plastic gears killed it...I dont know about Hornady these days. I am losing faith. I have a Loc-N-Load progressive press that either completely locks up when the finished shell trys to eject or it throws a 9mm cartridge thru a 1/2" piece of drywall. There is no in between. I have to manually remove absolutely every finished shell. Hornady's answer was to send me four free ejector springs exactly like the one that wont work to insure I am never not totally frustrated as long as I own this reloader!!! Come on stupid people!!! There is absolutely zero chance they tested this thing with any different results than what I {and the rest of the world} is getting and they let it out of the factory anyway!!! Nope, no more Hornady for me.

Last edited by msinc; 10-10-2010 at 08:04..
msinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:58   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinc View Post
Thanks for posting. I was considering one of these but the plastic gears killed it...I dont know about Hornady these days. I am losing faith. I have a Loc-N-Load progressive press that either completely locks up when the finished shell trys to eject or it throws a 9mm cartridge thru a 1/2" piece of drywall. There is no in between. I have to manually remove absolutely every finished shell. Hornady's answer was to send me four free ejector springs exactly like the one that wont work to insure I am never not totally frustrated as long as I own this reloader!!! Come on stupid people!!! There is absolutely zero chance they tested this thing with any different results than what I {and the rest of the world} is getting and they let it out of the factory anyway!!! Nope, no more Hornady for me.

You're trying to use the old design eject system... change over to the newly designed E-Z Eject design and all your problems will mysteriously disappear.

Requires a change of the sub-plate and shell plate... that's it.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 14:59   #9
VN350X10

I've use one of the Hornady trimmer/prep centers & can offer a few comments:

1) The plastic gears...don't worry. If they were metal, you couldn't stand the racket they'd make. And they are driving brushes & chamfering tools, you're not drilling & tapping tool steel with them. Radio-control race cars have use similar plastic gears for over 20 years & the durability is WELL proven. Lest you think of R/C cars as "toys" the current speed record for an electric car is in excess of 110 MPH (real, not scale). So much for the "battery operated toy car" theory !

2) No index marks....That's why God invented Sharpies, any mark by the mfgr. is only a ref. anyhow, may as well put them where you need them ! And as you change your adjustments for different length cases, they'd change anyway.

3) Bad out of the box.....NO excuse for that, even thou they're in short supply right now. I'd write it off as a monday or friday machine & send a "pissinmoanin" letter to them, might get a box of bullets for your trouble, PR is VERY important in this bus. as Word-of Mouth can kill a company.

I've got one of the RCBS power setups & use Forrester trimmers, and as soon as I can swing it, one of these WILL be on my bench. I won't ditch the Forrester trimmers, but all the high volume will be on one of these.

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,

Last edited by VN350X10; 10-10-2010 at 15:00..
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 19:28   #10
tdc57

Ok team.. Hereís where weíre at.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Iím putting everything (old issues) aside, as today is a new day and a new opportunity for Hornady to step up to the plate and perform.. <o:p></o:p>
I started out with my 300 win mag brass as this is my precision caliber and Iím trying to produce the best round I can (as we all are).. <o:p></o:p>
I read all of the above comments and used one piece of brass as my test piece, practiced / worked on the trimming length which is 2.610Ē. <o:p></o:p>
Once the depth was found it was easy to look it up and forget about it. I was happy at this point Hornady got it right!.. Once you set the depth it good to go.. <o:p></o:p>
It is a little slow.. But thatís ok.. Just know that itís a little slow.. <o:p></o:p>
Iím sorry but my worst fears came true as I soon realized that Hornady did not design this machine for the benchrest / precision shooterís. It kill me to say it, but somebody has to.. <o:p></o:p>
Rant over on to the pics.. <o:p></o:p>
Every piece of brass looked like this, once it was tight in the color.. The DAM things don't line up!... WTFÖ. Hornady.. How many of these have machines did you put out ?? You do know we don't want these right!.. You better start stepping up the plate or you hell, just save us the trouble and lower of our expectations and rename yourself (harbor freight tools).. Iím sorry but this is not acceptable.. Iím sorry.. Second rant over.. Iím sorry Iíll let it go.. Hahahaa. <o:p></o:p>
All of my (twice fired / new Ė just worked) brassís very in length, the same piece of brass now / anyone of them measures from 2.610 Ė 2.613 in total length. <o:p></o:p>
Again Hornady.. (Were is the QC??) Iím guessing that this machine was made in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">China</st1:place></st1:country-region> and you just slapped your name on it right? Will I also find out the paint used on it also contains lead?? Woo.. Another rant.... sorry guys I was expecting more from Hornady.. huge let down.. <o:p></o:p>
ďIn RealityĒ.. Since Iím using the pilots to guide down the brass on the top of the cutter, it never meet the cutter evenly.. This is extremely frustrating.. and yes.. even if I lower the handle and cover the bass top on the pilot and then tighten it down, which you would think at this point, that Iím good to go write?? WRONG.. Once I lift up the handle, it the shell casing still flexes back to the right.. <o:p></o:p>
But Iím trying to keep an open mind and I want to hear what you guys think? Am I being to picky here?. The brass is off and will always be off by .002-.003 off, is this something that you can / would live with? Wouldnít you have expected more from Hornady? <o:p></o:p>
As for the prepping stations.. Everything functioned as one would expect, it was / is a light tight for the person with large hands, so just note that.. <o:p></o:p>
Anyway team, thatís all I got, Iím going to be cleaning it up this evening and Iíll be taking it back tomorrow looking for a full refund.. As this machine uniformity does not meet my requirements for precision shooting.. <o:p></o:p>
Thank you all for your time and I help you found this information helpful.. <o:p></o:p>
Old 10-10-2010, 19:38   #11
VN350X10

tdc57,
Sorry to hear that you're not getting results as exected. The one I worked on holds both .223 & .308 brass to about +/-.0005 assuming that my Starrett caliper isn't a stand-up comic.
Suggest you call Hornady & complain real loud, perhaps the top is a bit out of alignment, I was actually surprised how well it worked, I was expecting about a .0015" variance.
Barry (owner) & I load .308 Win. to duplicate federal Gold Match on his Super1050 & the Hornady trimmer is a part of the process. If we were getting the kind of variance that you are, we'ed be upset also.
Gotta be worth a phone call anyhow.
Good Luck,

uncle albert
Old 10-10-2010, 19:41   #12
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Start shooting a flintlock... I never have any of the problems you're experiencing.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 20:05   #13
VN350X10

ignore Jack, when he started shooting, a flinter WAS state-of-the-Art !

(sounds like you're fine to me Jack)

uncle albert
Old 10-10-2010, 21:32   #14
tdc57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
tdc57,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
Sorry to hear that you're not getting results as exected. The one I worked on holds both .223 & .308 brass to about +/-.0005 assuming that my Starrett caliper isn't a stand-up comic.<o:p></o:p>
Suggest you call Hornady & complain real loud, perhaps the top is a bit out of alignment, I was actually surprised how well it worked, I was expecting about a .0015" variance.<o:p></o:p>
Barry (owner) & I load .308 Win. to duplicate federal Gold Match on his Super1050 & the Hornady trimmer is a part of the process. If we were getting the kind of variance that you are, we'ed be upset also.<o:p></o:p>
Gotta be worth a phone call anyhow.<o:p></o:p>
Good Luck,<o:p></o:p>
uncle albert

Actually that is extremely encouraging news.. Thank you UA.. If I could get those kind of results I would be very happy.. Overall the machine has the potential to provide us with what we want, but without the performance of what we expect, then it really does us no good.. I’ll defiantly call Hornady CS and see what they have to say… For your regular shooter / reloader 002-003 off may not mater to much, but to me it does, I can totally live with .0005 <o:p></o:p>

Thank you again for the words of wisdom, cooler heads always prevail.. you would think that I would have figured that out by now.. Hahahaa.. <o:p></o:p>
TDC.. <o:p></o:p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Start shooting a flintlock... I never have any of the problems you're experiencing. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.4pt; HEIGHT: 11.4pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/greensupergrin.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Jack
Hahaaa.. Hey Jack..Ahh noooo.. LOL.. But thanks anyway Sir.. <o:p></o:p>
P.S. <o:p></o:p>
I’m sooooooooooooooo sorry Sir.. I hope you hands, fingers make a complete recover.. Thoughts and prayers will defiantly be going out starting tonight and will not stopping until you’ve reached your 1000% self.. <o:p></o:p>
Shaun. <o:p></o:p>

Last edited by tdc57; 10-10-2010 at 21:34..