Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2010, 19:18   #1
Eric2340
Infidel :)

1911 newbie questions (2 merged threads)

Looking at buying a 1911 (my first, NOT my first gun though by far), I like the look and idea of the commander sized gun and the rounded, non-spur style hammer.

Recommendations, reasons to stay away from either of these two things, other? Again, my FIRST 1911, so I'm not looking to buy a $1500 gun right out of the gate.

Thanks -
Old 10-07-2010, 19:53   #2
knedrgr

so is $1450 your price range? Need to know more about what you're looking in a 1911. Carry or just range use? 45 ACP or 9mm? Colored or stainless? Stock ambi safety or single? Going to build it or keep it stock?
knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:04   #3
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
so is $1450 your price range? Need to know more about what you're looking in a 1911. Carry or just range use? 45 ACP or 9mm? Colored or stainless? Stock ambi safety or single? Going to build it or keep it stock?
No, $1500 is not my price range, but I also do not want a bottom of the bucket POS either. Just a good BEGINNER 1911, not a $1500 custom one.

.45 obviously, blued, no ambi safety, don't really want to build one, just a good base / one to learn on.

If I really like one I can see building one / having one done later on for big $$, but for now just a good, solid starting / learning platform.
Old 10-07-2010, 20:17   #4
R*E

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-..._PISTOLS.aspx#
R*E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:23   #5
Brucev

Springfield Mil-Spec. 1911 in .45ACP is a very good choice. They are very good pistols at a price that will not break your wallet. I got a ANIB one late last year for $400 OTD w/ a box of ammo at a local gun shop. Well worth the money.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:36   #6
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

Either Springfield, STI or Magnum Research.. all three have great entry level 1911's..
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert...1_techdata.asp

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

Granted they are not American made per se.. but they are a much better quality than Colt imo
Cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 21:09   #7
Happy Hunting

Colt Combat Commander. There are plenty on the FS ads here and other places.
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 21:16   #8
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Read the FAQ starting at post #15.

The STI Spartan ($650) and Trojan ($1K) are both very good as is the Springfield Loaded ($1k). Both have good customer service as well which is sometimes comforting for a new 1911 buyer. I'd really stay with a 5" steel gun for the first dance. Don't worry, you'll get more.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 21:27   #9
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post

The STI Spartan ($650) and Trojan ($1K) are both very good as is the Springfield Loaded ($1k). Both have good customer service as well which is sometimes comforting for a new 1911 buyer. I'd really stay with a 5" steel gun for the first dance. Don't worry, you'll get more.
what he said.
knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09   #10
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post

I've heard this before about the 4" guns, what is the issue with them?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16   #11
ambluemax

It's more once you dip below the 4" mark that issues can come up because at that point the gun has deviated so much from the original design that the physics of it all can make them picky (slide mass, leverage, spring rates, blah blah blah). Lots of sub-compact 1911's are good to go, but you here more stories about headaches with the little bitty ones than withthe more conventionally sized 1911's. Its not really a problem with 4, 4.25 or 5" guns.

If you want to go commanderish size in kind of the modern configuration (rounded hammer and what not) you're pretty much looking at Colt, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, and Kimber. Lots of models to choose from and your talking about spending $700-1,000.

Springfield also makes a 4" GI (they call that size "champion") that is straight up, plain jane spur hammer and low profile sights which you could score for about $500.

Since you're looking at this size, its probably important to understand there is a difference between a 4" gun and a 4.25" gun (technically only the later is "commander" size) Most of the true commander size guns will be conventional 1911 bushing barrel setups. 4" guns (and smaller) and more often than not bull-barrel set ups. You might want to do a little research on that to see which fits your style more. There are fans and haters of both, the main difference to the casual user is how there are disassembled for cleaning.

Last edited by ambluemax; 10-08-2010 at 10:17..
ambluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24   #12
BigLaw

The STI as stated above would be my choice if I was just getting into 1911s. They are good quality and have the essential features in my book

BigLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:28   #13
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

I have a Kimber Pro Carry, it's an aluminum frame 4" 1911. The "Commander" size weapons really have no issues, it's the "Officer" size ones that have had issues in the past. I really haven't heard anything lately with the newer 3" models. I love the balance of the 4" 1911's. If it's only going to be a range gun, go for a steel frame version. Just my $.02...
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:24   #14
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

cant go wrong with a RIA. i have two and they are all that and a bag of chips.

if you later decide you like the 1911 platform you can then go out and buy a $1,500.00 gun.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 14:10   #15
mr00jimbo

1911 newbie questions

Hi,
I am starting to save some $$$ to buy a quality 1911 next year. I am torn between a somewhat custom looking 1911 (aka STI Spartan, or a more original looking, aka Colt 1991-A1).

I have some questions for those who are 1911 experts.

1. Cast/forged; is there a consensus which one is preferred, or is the jury out ?
2. Are Colts of high quality? I am looking at the 1991A1 (Series 80)
3. Series 80 safeties; are some more interfering than others? I hear bad things about Kimbers series 80 getting in the way, but then some others just seem to affect trigger pull? Is it possible to get rid of the series 80 safety, or would one be SOL, and better off buying a gun without it from the get-go.

This will be a range gun, and I will not be competing with it. I just want something high quality that I won't have to worry about **** falling off, or rattling loose, or metal warping, or a lot of plastic parts. I want to shoot it, cherish it, and I want it to be a family heirloom, so something with a good finish and good parts would be ideal. I'm in this for the long haul. Budget is say, 1000 bucks, all in.

I am really drawn to the Colt 1991-A1 or the series 70 (though it's slightly more $). I love the basic look of the colt and the horsie rollmark, but would probably upgrade to a skeleton hammer and three-hole trigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I don't seem to know what I want here.

I would love something that ended up lookin' like this:
[IMG]1911 Forums
Old 10-11-2010, 14:31   #16
Jim S.

I am starting to save some $$$ to buy a quality 1911 next year. I am torn between a somewhat custom looking 1911 (aka STI Spartan, or a more original looking, aka Colt 1991-A1).

I have some questions for those who are 1911 experts.

1. Cast/forged; is there a consensus which one is preferred, or is the jury out ?

Forged is better. Cast is ok as long as it is properly done, but forged is preferable.
2. Are Colts of high quality? I am looking at the 1991A1 (Series 80)

Colts are ok. I don't care for a series 80 because of the firing pin block.
I'm a purist at heart.

3. Series 80 safeties; are some more interfering than others? I hear bad things about Kimbers series 80 getting in the way, but then some others just seem to affect trigger pull? Is it possible to get rid of the series 80 safety, or would one be SOL, and better off buying a gun without it from the get-go.

You can put an adapter plate in to remove the firing pin pieces but why not just get a gun without the extra crap that doesn't belong there in the first place.
This will be a range gun, and I will not be competing with it. I just want something high quality that I won't have to worry about **** falling off, or rattling loose, or metal warping, or a lot of plastic parts. I want to shoot it, cherish it, and I want it to be a family heirloom, so something with a good finish and good parts would be ideal. I'm in this for the long haul. Budget is say, 1000 bucks, all in.

A range gun definately does not need the firing pin block as it does effect the trigger and is usually for a person who carries but is not accustomed to "Locked and Cocked".

I am really drawn to the Colt 1991-A1 or the series 70 (though it's slightly more $). I love the basic look of the colt and the horsie rollmark, but would probably upgrade to a skeleton hammer and three-hole trigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I don't seem to know what I want here.

Go shopping and see whats out there. Look at Buds Gun Shop on line or Hyatt Gunn shop on line and look for 1911's at that price range.
You are just starting to get into more than a basic 1911 at that price.
Some nice ones at that price.
Old 10-11-2010, 14:53   #17
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

At the 1k range I would look at the STI Trojan.. or at the $650 range the DE 1911.. both from what I hear a decent guns
Cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote