Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:15   #1
Natty

Hunting Deer behind high fences

Sometimes I watch the hunting shows on TV.

Many of these shows are filmed at ranches where the deer are held behind high fences.

Larry Weishuhn is the star of many of these shows. I saw one hunt where he shot a nice buck in Texas from an enclosed tower stand and the does didn't even run off after the rifle shot and the buck was knocked flat.

Seems that South Texas has many ranches with high fences that specialize in trophy deer hunting.

They never mention the fact that these deer are fenced in. When confronted with this sad fact they will say but this ranch is very large. Maybe thousands of acres. But the deer are still CAPTIVE.

In my state it is illegal to hunt deer that are inside a fence.

Would like to here everyones opinion on this.

Especially hunters from Texas.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:13   #2
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

If somebody is willing to pay for a "hunt" like that, in my opinion, it's entirely up to them and the land owner. Both parties are happy and a deer is harvested. It can be a good buisness, and employs people.

For me it's kind of like finding and picking wild stawberrys or going to a "pick your own" farm. The wild ones, although hard to find, and smaller always seem to taste better.

For myself...I wouldn't consider going to a game farm type hunt...but to each thier own.
Old 10-12-2010, 15:18   #3
user
VaLegalDefense

Jus' like shootin' fish in a bar'l.
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 15:25   #4
bowtie454

Not my thing, but it doesn't bother me if others hunt on private ranches. Keep in mind, most of these ranches are several thousand acres. It's not like the wildlife are fenced in someone's 1/4 acre backyard. For me, one of the big thrills of big game hunting is getting out into the wild. I'd rather hump through National Forest all day and not see anything than drive to a private ranch and shoot a trophy animal. To each thier own.

BTW, I am not in Texas. I'm a few hundred miles North.

Last edited by bowtie454; 10-12-2010 at 15:27..
bowtie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:52   #5
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

What bothers me most is those guys pretend they are real hunters.
Old 10-12-2010, 20:01   #6
jdavionic
NRA Member

It's not unique to TX. They do it elsewhere and with different game (e.g., Elk). To me, it's like going to a trout farm in the South and claiming you're a trout fisherman.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:02   #7
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
What bothers me most is those guys pretend they are real hunters.

Who decides what a real hunter is?

Some folks think those who shoot over bait are not real hunters. Yet in states like Michigan it's a tradition.

Others think those who use dogs to run the deer are not real hunters and here in VA it's a traditional way to hunt.

Still others think Crossbows or inline muzzle loaders are unsportsmanlike or should not be allowed in some seasons.

See my point?
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:03   #8
jtull7
Pistolero

Anyone who would "hunt" a deer behind a fence is a cowardly *****. I hate their guts.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-bitch.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:11   #9
Jeremy_K

Ever notice the amount of deer they drop right on the road/clearcut so they can just drive the quad right up to it and load it up? I went round and round with a co worker on this topic. IMO it's not hunting one bit. It's shooting. I understand there are traditions in many areas regarding hunting practices. These fenced in hunts out West are not traditional. They are all about the glory and entertainment.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:19   #10
pennlineman

I quit watching these shows years ago. IMO they are hunting on glorified deer farms. Well fed with very little hunting pressure. That is fine if that is what you want to do. Just about anyone could take a trophy buck under those circumstances. I would consider a doe taken from my budddies farm a far better trophy than any buck taken in that manner. At least it's not penned in.

I'd like to see how well these guys would do after the first day of rifle season in any state after the pressure is on. Probably a lot less footage to show.

Last edited by pennlineman; 10-13-2010 at 05:22..
pennlineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:31   #11
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
I'd like to see how well these guys would do after the first day of rifle season in any state after the preasure is on. Probably a lot less footage to show.
Probably hours of footage with one repeatedly whispering to the other - "well Bob, where the heck are they?" ...while the majority of us spend a considerable amount of time scouting out the area before opening day, looking for signs of deer, best areas to set up, and preferably an area without a half dozen other hunters tromping about in the same location.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24   #12
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

One just broke into our building this AM. If I shoot it, is that considered high-fence deer? It's really plate-glass deer and he's already injured.

(Seriously! I'll get a link to the news story tomorrow.)
Old 10-13-2010, 18:57   #13
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

Some folks think those who shoot over bait are not real hunters. Yet in states like Michigan it's a tradition.

Others think those who use dogs to run the deer are not real hunters and here in VA it's a traditional way to hunt.

Still others think Crossbows or inline muzzle loaders are unsportsmanlike or should not be allowed in some seasons.

See my point?
Yes, but I think those other guys are still hunting whether it is bait, dogs, or guns.
Someone else does the hunting for these guys on TV. They are just the shooters.

I have baited bear in Alaska. I used to look down on bear baiters but after trying it I found out it is very labor intensive, takes many hours of scouting and hauling bait as well as many hours sitting on the stand fighting skeeters. I would much rather spot and stalk. So I have a new respect for the baiters.

If guys want to pay someone else to do their scouting, do their baiting, do their stand building, do their dragging, do their butchering, I can accept that.
But I would prefer they did not sit in that stand and tell the audience, "We have been huntin hard for three days and we only saw...."

It gives the rest of us a bad name.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:28   #14
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

See my point?
ditto

I just did a deer hunt behind fences ( Axis ), and these are 3K acres lands with deer on it and the fences to keep deer within the fenced area, without the fences the Axis would roam into other lands and properties.

As far as the silly shooting fish in the barrel analogy, only one of the 2 other guys got there Axis during my 2 days Axis exploration. We mostly had no shot angle, or to many deer around the target we where after, stuck in a lighting stom or other issues that arises during these hunts.

I guess next you will crticism me for using a quad to get for getting around the property

In TX ( a former Tejano ) we have rances that are upwards to 1million acres in some parts, and over 1 or 2 counties. So fenced or high fences or whatever you want to call it it makes sense. And specially for ranchers that paids to stock whatever exotic game they "pay" to have inserted on that lands.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote