GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01   #1
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,956
"LE only" ammo

Is there a web site somewhere that has a list of localities in the U.S. that have a law prohibiting civilian ownership of LE-only ammo?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 27,022


No such law exists.

If it was illegal to own "L/E ammo", you could not buy it period. That is not the case. In fact you can buy it not only by the case, but by the PALLET if you so desire.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30   #3
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)
 
Kegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cold side of conus
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
No such law exists.

If it was illegal to own "L/E ammo", you could not buy it period. That is not the case. In fact you can buy it not only by the case, but by the PALLET if you so desire.

Really? Show me a place you can buy five seven model SS-190 ammo without LE/military credentials.

Good luck.
__________________
"What's the down side to 10mm again? Oh, that's right, there isn't one."" Carrier21
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24   #4
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Really? Show me a place you can buy five seven model SS-190 ammo without LE/military credentials.

Good luck.
The FN 5.7x28mm SS-190 load is defined as Armor Piercing handgun ammo by the Federal Govt. Thus, it is illegal for importers, distributors and dealers to sell such ammo directly to non-military or Law Enforcement personnel.

That does not mean that civilians who already have such ammo cannot sell it to others, as long as their state and/or local laws do not prohibit the ownership or possession of armor piercing handgun ammo.

And since you asked, here is one location that people can buy SS190 ammo:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=195172387

It will probably be very hard to find this ammo in shooting quantities as it is very expensive, hard to get and is basically a collector's cartridge right now.

Like it has been written many times before here on GT and every single gun forum that exists, there is no federal law that exists that prohibits citizens from buying or using standard JHP or FMJ ammo that is labeled as L.E. Only.
So far no website or gun forum that I know of has provided any substantiation of any state/local law that prohibits such ammo (excluding AP ammo). And even some of the most rarest of all AP and experimental rounds will find their way into the hands of civilians, especially cartridge collectors.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 27,022


Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
The FN 5.7x28mm SS-190 load is defined as Armor Piercing handgun ammo by the Federal Govt. Thus, it is illegal for importers, distributors and dealers to sell such ammo directly to non-military or Law Enforcement personnel.

That does not mean that civilians who already have such ammo cannot sell it to others, as long as their state and/or local laws do not prohibit the ownership or possession of armor piercing handgun ammo.

And since you asked, here is one location that people can buy SS190 ammo:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=195172387

It will probably be very hard to find this ammo in shooting quantities as it is very expensive, hard to get and is basically a collector's cartridge right now.

Like it has been written many times before here on GT and every single gun forum that exists, there is no federal law that exists that prohibits citizens from buying or using standard JHP or FMJ ammo that is labeled as L.E. Only.
So far no website or gun forum that I know of has provided any substantiation of any state/local law that prohibits such ammo (excluding AP ammo). And even some of the most rarest of all AP and experimental rounds will find their way into the hands of civilians, especially cartridge collectors.
__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59   #6
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,956
I'm sure there must be some little podunk community out there that has a law stating civilians can't own ammo marked "LE only" by the manufacturer. Sort of like how civilians can't carry JHPs in New Jersey. But maybe there isn't.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-12-2010 at 13:00..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 14:18   #7
sciolist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,480
Since the LE-only designation is made by manufacturers and not the government, seems like legal restrictions would not reference it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The government might choose to restrict ammo with characteristics that manufacturers develop for LE or LE-only use, but I would imagine even the idiots in government would look for less arbitrary criteria than print copy on the side of a box.<o:p></o:p>
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 18:51   #8
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,376
The only time that the Feds would get involved in restricting small arms ammo (pistol/rifle) is if a manufacturer wants to develope and/or import AP ammo and that which is developed strictly for military use. Such examples would be like 9mm AP, the .45ACP 185FMJ-FP +P SOCOM (which I have YET to see for sale on the civilian market; my exemplar was obtained from an advanced .45ACP cartridge collector), the new 5.56mm Army/Marine SOST load (how Palmetto Armory got some of this ammo for sale is beyond me other than possibly military reject stuff), .300 Win Mag sniper ammo etc.

But when U.S. manufacturers make special loads for LE, they have every right to restrict civilian sales due to product liability. Example is the 9mm +P+ loads. Back in the earily 80's when ISP went directly to Federal and Winchester requesting they develope the high pressure/high velocity 115JHP+P+ loads, there were written agreements between them acknowledging that these loads were way above pressures that they have ever loaded for the 9x19mm cartridge. This was not stuff that should be used by the general public as they have no way of controlling who used this ammo in what firearm. The same with the old 38Spl 110JHP+P+ "Treasury" or "CHP" load. This load had a way of destroying J-Frame revolvers in short order. When such loads came out, the only way to get this ammo is if you "knew someone". I recall gun articles from the 80's written by cops who had gotten their ammo just that way.

Even in the mid 90's when Winchester stopped selling the Black Talon they were forced to sell the BT as LE only ammo. They then developed a civilian "de-clawed" version of the SXT style bullet and named it the Supreme SXT.

Things have really changed in the last 20 years in the ammo industry. Manufacturers have lost control over their distributors, who now sell "restricted" ammo openly on the civilian market. And when manufacturers have overruns or ammo that is rejected by the end user (for what ever reasons), they tend to put that ammo right onto the civilian market via dealers who will eagerly buy it up and sell it off (and why not? Why destroy perfectly shootable ammo when there is a market for it right here in the states?).

At one time there was a perfectly good reason for manufacturers to restrict their ammo to Govt and LE agencies only. But now, it seems that anyone can get almost anything they want on the open market, from the 9mm & 38Spl +P+ to the military designed 9mm 147JHP Type-L OSM load made for the SEALs and adopted by the FBI after their '86 Miami fiasco, the Belgium designed 5.7x28mm AP SS-190 and now the new U.S. Marine 5.56mm 62gr barrier defeating MK318 MOD O SOST round.

But remember, availibility of high performance ammo can be a double-edged sword, depending on which end you're standing on.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 10-13-2010 at 21:19..
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,271
297 Members
974 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42