Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2010, 19:35   #1
TiltbackJack

Bad mobo, or...?

Ok folks let me give you a run down of what has been going on with my other computer. I opened an email from my sister that was time stamped at like 3am. Very odd since she works at like 7am, but i opened it and it was a link to a page that couldnt be opened. No red flags were thrown up yet, but a few days later my mouse started to give me fits. It would lag intermittently and finally lock up and only a restart would remedy this problem.

Then my monitor came up with a no signal display and has not showed any kind of graphics from windows. Neither the vga port on the motherboard or in the aftermarket graphics card installed in a pci slot work either.

Thinking I might have a virus or other "attack" on the computer, I updated and ran the following programs: AVG, Avira, Malwarebytes, Spysweeper, and Hijack this. These turned up nothing.

My mouse and keyboard are wired ps/2. I uninstalled the driver and let windows reload them. Nothing.

Swapped the power supply with a 100 watt lower rating( had a 450-swapped to an extra 350 I had laying around) also to no avail.

Finally I pulled the hard drive out and plugged it into the computer im typing this from and formatted it. Sata to usb cord was used for this. Reinstalled the hard drive and put in my recovery disc only to find out this did nothing as well.

I'm at a loss here and my next guess is that the motherboard is bad, but i have never had one go out and aren't sure of any telltale signs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
TiltbackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02   #2
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Hello TiltbackJack,

First question: What happens in SAFE MODE?

Second Question: Did you perform your scans in SAFE MODE?

SAFE MODE disables the ability of virus/trojans/malware to hide from our security products. If it is truly virus based, all symptoms should stop once you are in SAFE MODE.

Hardware testing: You could try some Prime95 passes which will test the CPU/memory systems. Memtest86 memory testing will go right at the memory system. If you have a weakness it should start popping up. If you know the motherboard make and model, check the MFG's site for utilities.
Usually you will find something at the MFG's site for testing, and the next step would be to call them for tech support.

Let us know...

Last edited by Pierre!; 10-13-2010 at 07:08..
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 19:08   #3
TiltbackJack

Yes the computer was booted into safe mode and still had the mouse locking up. It didn't act any different than when it was in normal mode. With the display not working anymore( monitor is fine on another machine) i don't think I'll be able to do any more tests. I may check with a few friends and see if they have any spare parts laying around to swap out. Thanks for the advice Pierre.
TiltbackJack is offline   Reply With Quote