GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 20:17   #181
b18turboef
Senior Member
 
b18turboef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 378
creeping up on $28!!
__________________
Glock...the original point and click interface
b18turboef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:20   #182
PBCounty
Senior Member
 
PBCounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 16,763
Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18turboef View Post
creeping up on $28!!
I haven't been able to get anything for less than $32 (eagles) for a couple days now......was able to buy at $24 or so only days ago.
__________________
Fleece it out, dinkin' flicka.
PBCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:23   #183
b18turboef
Senior Member
 
b18turboef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I haven't been able to get anything for less than $32 (eagles) for a couple days now......was able to buy at $24 or so only days ago.
I started late.... Got mine a week ago, total cost including wire transfer, and shipping, and paying the $3 premium per eagle I paid $27.42 delivered. I've already made back the $25 shipping, $25 bank wire, and $3 per coin premium, and made $.50 each lol...
__________________
Glock...the original point and click interface
b18turboef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:26   #184
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18turboef View Post
I started late.... Got mine a week ago, total cost including wire transfer, and shipping, and paying the $3 premium per eagle I paid $27.42 delivered. I've already made back the $25 shipping, $25 bank wire, and $3 per coin premium, and made $.50 each lol...
But from person to person (nucleo) I'm wondering how that would work. Ebay is known for having ridiculously inflated premiums. $5+ isn't uncommon.

Now going a step further, when it's time to use the silver to purchase goods/services, I'm wondering if silver will be silver or if people will fuss over the eagles??

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:30   #185
b18turboef
Senior Member
 
b18turboef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 378
I chose eagles (and paid more vs regular rounds) for one reason.... Easy recognition, nobody is going to argue that they are real... Do they command a premium, yes, but thats not my intention.
__________________
Glock...the original point and click interface
b18turboef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:31   #186
PBCounty
Senior Member
 
PBCounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 16,763
Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post

Now going a step further, when it's time to use the silver to purchase goods/services, I'm wondering if silver will be silver or if people will fuss over the eagles??

-Emt1581
I'm paying a little more for the Eagles in assumption that they will be more trusted....too many "art bars" out there with nothing but a shiny coat of silver / gold. Hell, I wouldn't even know if I was buying the real thing initially.
__________________
Fleece it out, dinkin' flicka.
PBCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:32   #187
b18turboef
Senior Member
 
b18turboef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I'm paying a little more for the Eagles in assumption that they will be more trusted....too many "art bars" out there with nothing but a shiny coat of silver / gold. Hell, I wouldn't even know if I was buying the real thing initially.
exactly
__________________
Glock...the original point and click interface
b18turboef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:35   #188
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I'm paying a little more for the Eagles in assumption that they will be more trusted....too many "art bars" out there with nothing but a shiny coat of silver / gold. Hell, I wouldn't even know if I was buying the real thing initially.
This is why I weigh EVERY round when buying from someone and I do all deals in person. That is, when I was buying that's what I did.

I have a feeling this is how it will be done in the future to avoid what you're talking about.

I'm also guessing one or both parties will be armed and God help someone trying to cheat on either side!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:40   #189
b18turboef
Senior Member
 
b18turboef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 378
just so i dont go accusing someone.... is there any way someone could cheat to make a round 1oz without being silver? i dont know if there are metals that could be inserted etc... and does a 1oz round really weigh exactly 1oz, or are we talking in 2x4 wood terms lol
__________________
Glock...the original point and click interface
b18turboef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:45   #190
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18turboef View Post
just so i dont go accusing someone.... is there any way someone could cheat to make a round 1oz without being silver? i dont know if there are metals that could be inserted etc... and does a 1oz round really weigh exactly 1oz, or are we talking in 2x4 wood terms lol
Nope impossible.

I mean you could manipulate the weight but then the size wouldn't match up. No other element would match silver in the mass/weight dept.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 22:18   #191
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 5,094


Wow, we are almost to the 60% of the recent (last 50 years) historical high of silver un-adjusted for inflation. Can someone call the timing and value of the top of the market? What is the round trip transaction cost for say 30 physical Troy Oz of Silver so I can understand what it will take for me to recover my investment?

I also need someone who can call the next bottom for the market value and timing.

I will remind everyone until you have made the round trip on your investment, it is all paper gains, and you don't know how good you investment was, especially adjusted for inflation.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 23:29   #192
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Wow, we are almost to the 60% of the recent (last 50 years) historical high of silver un-adjusted for inflation. Can someone call the timing and value of the top of the market? What is the round trip transaction cost for say 30 physical Troy Oz of Silver so I can understand what it will take for me to recover my investment?
The problem with the $54 historical high for silver was it was a phony high, caused by the Hunt brothers trying to corner the market. At one point they had half the world's deliverable supply. Later the price crashed 50% in one day.

I don't view precious metals as an investment (though they are a good one right now). I view them as insurance. I buy/sell all mine through EBay. When buying you're not going to find a local dealer that will be cheaper. When selling you'll pay 9% commission to EBay. That's about the best you'll be able to do.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-08-2010 at 23:31..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 23:30   #193
PBCounty
Senior Member
 
PBCounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 16,763
Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
We just passed the $28 mark at $28.11 according to Kitco.
__________________
Fleece it out, dinkin' flicka.
PBCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 23:35   #194
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I haven't been able to get anything for less than $32 (eagles) for a couple days now......was able to buy at $24 or so only days ago.
Yep it's unreal. I'm kicking myself for not buying more over the last year. I started buying a little over a year ago when silver was around $16. I got nervous when it starting getting up to $18, $19, etc. Now we're closing in on $30. Unreal.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:09   #195
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 5,094


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
The problem with the $54 historical high for silver was it was a phony high, caused by the Hunt brothers trying to corner the market. At one point they had half the world's deliverable supply. Later the price crashed 50% in one day.

I don't view precious metals as an investment (though they are a good one right now). I view them as insurance. I buy/sell all mine through EBay. When buying you're not going to find a local dealer that will be cheaper. When selling you'll pay 9% commission to EBay. That's about the best you'll be able to do.
The problem is, how do we know that the same situation is not in play today? There have been several reports recently of attempts or successes in manipulating PM prices in the market.

Back in the day, it was the Hunt Brothers that manipulated the market. Who is to say it is not Soros or some other wealthy person, family, or saavy investment firm jacking with the market. In some ways it is easier, and in some ways it could be harder. I know that where there is a will there is a way. These people do not care about the damage they do to others. They do not care if they damage the economies of whole countries or of the world, as long as their personal economy is better off. In some cases the damage they do is part of what they are trying to achieve, in addition to making themselves more money.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:14   #196
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
The problem is, how do we know that the same situation is not in play today? There have been several reports recently of attempts or successes in manipulating PM prices in the market.

Back in the day, it was the Hunt Brothers that manipulated the market. Who is to say it is not Soros or some other wealthy person, family, or saavy investment firm jacking with the market. In some ways it is easier, and in some ways it could be harder. I know that where there is a will there is a way. These people do not care about the damage they do to others. They do not care if they damage the economies of whole countries or of the world, as long as their personal economy is better off. In some cases the damage they do is part of what they are trying to achieve, in addition to making themselves more money.
But those manipulations were false ownerships AFAIK. In other words, they said they had a ton of PM's and really had nowhere close to those figures. Much different than some entity actually buying up all of the PM's (Silver) as the Hunt brothers did.

They started printing a massive amount of bills last week AFAIK and what we're seeing seems to be the devaluing of our currency because of it. Remember, PM's stay at a constant. They will always buy the same amount of goods. It's the world's currencies that move up or down around the PM's.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:19   #197
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
Do I want the economy to melt down, (no) of course I don't! I do however live on a little planet called reality, saw this coming years ago and I've been preparing for it. Those who have not prepared are going to get hosed in the end.

I purchased most of my silver when it was around $6 an ounce, and gold when it was around $400 and ounce. Am I happy where the prices currently are and where they'll be in the future? Damn right I am!!!!
I haven't seen a reply from you so I'll assume you either admit you either missed it.

But at this point, do you STILL think the price of silver going through the roof is a good thing?

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43   #198
VBG23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 741
As of 0742 silver is at $28.42

It rose over $1 yesterday and $.50 over night. Parabolic yet?

Are YOU prepared?
__________________
"Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.
VBG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47   #199
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBG23 View Post
As of 0742 silver is at $28.42

It rose over $1 yesterday and $.50 over night. Parabolic yet?

Are YOU prepared?
I wonder how long it'll be before it hit's store shelves. How long until a candy bar is $4-$5?

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34   #200
doneroman
SheepDogs-R-Us
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Infidel lair
Posts: 950
It won't be long. Anyone remember the roller coaster nightmares of '80-'82? Silver and gold are kings, and any other commodities needed to survive.

$5 a gallon fuel by March? Food prices will sky rocket and suddenly the masses will be interested in gardening again. Hunting. Fishing. Leather work.

Great thread and interesting points all around.
doneroman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:36.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 931
249 Members
682 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31