Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2010, 21:07   #341
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Anyone here diversify their PM's? That is, instead of all Silver or all Gold...do you mix? If so, why? What's the reasoning for having both?

I only ask because I just realized with what I have, I could trade it for some Gold. I like Silver though because it's easier to do smaller transactions with without having to cut the bullion or make change when it comes time to use the pieces to buy goods/services with.

I'm also partial to 1oz. rounds/bars...again because it's a small standard unit. No huge loss if change can't be made.

-Emt1581
Some speculate that you may end up doing better on the silver. As things get worse and worse people will realize they're kind of screwed as the blood is being sucked from their Soon To Be Lifeless Bodies (STBLB). They'll realize they need gold, shoulda already had it but as they see the blood leaving their bodies they'll say, "I Must Get Some Gold!" But it will be out of reach or unavailable for purchase, so they'll look to silver, even copper bullion.

In your case I'd probably hold the silver unless the bulk became such that you needed to consolidate some into gold for portability or storage reasons.

My .02

ETA: You can buy silver cleaning stuff all day long if you're so inclined. Remember, they make dining utensils out of it that need to be polished.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:02   #342
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Some speculate that you may end up doing better on the silver. As things get worse and worse people will realize they're kind of screwed as the blood is being sucked from their Soon To Be Lifeless Bodies (STBLB). They'll realize they need gold, shoulda already had it but as they see the blood leaving their bodies they'll say, "I Must Get Some Gold!" But it will be out of reach or unavailable for purchase, so they'll look to silver, even copper bullion.

In your case I'd probably hold the silver unless the bulk became such that you needed to consolidate some into gold for portability or storage reasons.

My .02

ETA: You can buy silver cleaning stuff all day long if you're so inclined. Remember, they make dining utensils out of it that need to be polished.
As far as the whole STBLB...you lost me. Why would it matter which you had...I thought both were equally as accepted in bad times...and used to be the standard currency for thousands of years right up until the late 1800's when paper came into the picture....?

As for the polish...I've read in several places that once you polish silver you have to keep polishing it or it gets really tarnished really fast.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:31   #343
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
As far as the whole STBLB...you lost me. Why would it matter which you had...I thought both were equally as accepted in bad times...and used to be the standard currency for thousands of years right up until the late 1800's when paper came into the picture....?

As for the polish...I've read in several places that once you polish silver you have to keep polishing it or it gets really tarnished really fast.

-Emt1581
STBLB - Soon To Be Lifeless Bodies due to not having any metal as the money in their pocket buys less and less

Don't you read the Mogambo Guru?

You asked about coloring up. I gave you possible reasons why you might not want to.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 22:45   #344
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
STBLB - Soon To Be Lifeless Bodies due to not having any metal as the money in their pocket buys less and less

Don't you read the Mogambo Guru?

You asked about coloring up. I gave you possible reasons why you might not want to.
No I didn't read it.

-Emt1581
Old 12-12-2010, 23:26   #345
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I'm gonna try and explain something.Polishing silver is kinda a waste of time,if you polish "collectible" coins you've just ruined their value.If they're ta be used as a barter "medium" their "collectible" value doesn't really matter,same as junk silver.The "content" of the coin will establish the "market" value.This is the main reason I prefer junk silver over 10oz bars,it's easier ta diversify on a base level in a barter economy.I don't invest in gold as a barter item,we have about 2ozs of gold,that's it,a "surprise" purchase is all it's for.

Silver is just simpler ta use in a "altered" economy.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31   #346
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Anyone here diversify their PM's? That is, instead of all Silver or all Gold...do you mix? If so, why? What's the reasoning for having both?

I only ask because I just realized with what I have, I could trade it for some Gold. I like Silver though because it's easier to do smaller transactions with without having to cut the bullion or make change when it comes time to use the pieces to buy goods/services with.

I'm also partial to 1oz. rounds/bars...again because it's a small standard unit. No huge loss if change can't be made.

-Emt1581
We started with gold but switched to silver several months ago. Worked out pretty well and I still think that it will.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:35   #347
Careby

Quote:
I like both. One advantage of gold is it's a lot easier to carry. Or at least it is in the amounts I'm likely to accumulate!

Last edited by Careby; 12-13-2010 at 07:36..
Careby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 21:56   #348
Don H

JP Morgan Admits To, Reduces Massive Silver Short Position, Proves Millions Of Conspiracy Theorists Correct

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/jp-...theorists-abso
Don H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03   #349
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

The JP Morgan story, if true, will do little to affect the current price.

ITs still at 29 and change, last I checked.

The price of silver will likely remain high for some time and travel independently of the JPM story,

- Silver tends to maintain a relationship to gold and other PMS as some multiple or fraction of the other's price,

-The overprinting of currency, also known as QE or monetizing debt has created a huge demand among ordinary citizens for real hold-in-your-hands pms,

-silver is more affordable to the average citizen than gold,

-the recent healthcare legislation, a component of which includes the still not yet repealed provision of mandating everyone issue 1099's for any and all transactions over $600 makes silver additionally attractive for small exchanges. Less than a half ounce of gold at current levels sold back to a dealer for cash would mandate this, it would take more than 20 oz of silver to similarly pop up on radar for the same consequence. Keep your transactions below 600 and you don't trigger the requirement.

-Silver, as above is more conducive to small, everyday transactions. Need a fifth of whisky, a loaf of bread and dozen eggs, its much easier to trade silver dollars than break a Kruggerand or Gold Eagle.

-Silver Eagles, a common silver trade will ALWAYS be worth at least a buck, US$
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 14:34   #350
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
The JP Morgan story, if true, will do little to affect the current price.

ITs still at 29 and change, last I checked.

The price of silver will likely remain high for some time and travel independently of the JPM story,

- Silver tends to maintain a relationship to gold and other PMS as some multiple or fraction of the other's price,

-The overprinting of currency, also known as QE or monetizing debt has created a huge demand among ordinary citizens for real hold-in-your-hands pms,

-silver is more affordable to the average citizen than gold,

-the recent healthcare legislation, a component of which includes the still not yet repealed provision of mandating everyone issue 1099's for any and all transactions over $600 makes silver additionally attractive for small exchanges. Less than a half ounce of gold at current levels sold back to a dealer for cash would mandate this, it would take more than 20 oz of silver to similarly pop up on radar for the same consequence. Keep your transactions below 600 and you don't trigger the requirement.

-Silver, as above is more conducive to small, everyday transactions. Need a fifth of whisky, a loaf of bread and dozen eggs, its much easier to trade silver dollars than break a Kruggerand or Gold Eagle.

-Silver Eagles, a common silver trade will ALWAYS be worth at least a buck, US$
See post #300 and learn.
Old 12-14-2010, 17:05   #351
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
See post #300 and learn.
So, you must be the wisest of us all here, getting your solid information from ...cartoons...

read post 349 and learn.

Last edited by G29Reload; 12-14-2010 at 17:06..
Old 12-14-2010, 18:06   #352
Don H

Quote:
So, you must be the wisest of us all here, getting your solid information from ...cartoons...

read post 349 and learn.
Well after reading your post I figured that a cartoon is all you'd could probably understand. I've been collecting 90% silver dimes, quarters and halves since the 80's as well as eagles so I don't need someone like yourself to regurgitate the basics of why silver is important to own.

Do you have any idea what the current price of silver / gold would be if it were not being manipulated/suppressed? Probably not!

Last edited by Don H; 12-14-2010 at 18:39..
Old 12-14-2010, 18:12   #353
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
Well after reading your post I figured that a cartoon is all you'd could probably understand. I've been collecting 90% silver dimes, quarters and halves since the 80's as well as eagles so I don't need someone like yourself to regurgitate the basics of why silver important to own.

Do you have any idea what the current price of silver / gold would be if it were not being manipulated/suppressed? Probably not!
You may project as you wish, but I'm not the one interjecting cartoons. Your poor attitude as well as your lack of communication skills suggests you need a (much) younger audience for your diatribes.
Old 12-14-2010, 19:19   #354
Don H

Quote:
You may project as you wish, but I'm not the one interjecting cartoons. Your poor attitude as well as your lack of communication skills suggests you need a (much) younger audience for your diatribes.
If you have any more pearls of wisdom in regards to PM's please be sure to share.
Old 12-14-2010, 20:16   #355
Wester25

The 21 Club #2525

Kalashnikov Klub #2525
Wester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 20:44   #356
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Well this thread is going good....I'll check in a couple hours from now and contribute some drunk posts.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04   #357
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
Well this thread is going good....I'll check in a couple hours from now and contribute some drunk posts.
Once in a while (like when I get on a plane), I wish that I still drank. If I did I would join you. That confession lets you in on the fact that all of my posts have been made while I was sober reguardless of what you may have thought!

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 20:11   #358
emt1581
Curious Member

Seems like it's been hoovering for the past two weeks or so...going from $28-$30. Ordinarily, that'd be enough to raise an eyebrow, but in these times, it's really nothing of significance.

-Emt1581
Old 12-15-2010, 20:29   #359
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Quote:
Seems like it's been hoovering for the past two weeks or so...going from $28-$30. Ordinarily, that'd be enough to raise an eyebrow, but in these times, it's really nothing of significance.

-Emt1581
Some perspective...

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Survival/Preparedness Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 12-15-2010, 23:15   #360
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
Some perspective...