Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2011, 23:46   #381
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I could care less about your previous predictions. I'm asking here and now, are you thinking that this hoovering around $28-$30 for a few weeks is where silver has peaked in relation to the dollar?

-Emt1581
I am not talking about or referring to here and now.

And I don't have anything worth putting into type about it.

You did bring it up, though, and sounded surprised/perplexed at it. Why?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 23:57   #382
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I am not talking about or referring to here and now.

And I don't have anything worth putting into type about it.

You did bring it up, though, and sounded surprised/perplexed at it. Why?
What did I say that appeared surprised/perplexed?

You chimed in right around the time I started talking about things I'd noticed recently so naturally I thought you were intending to discuss your thoughts on the here and now of silver. If not, that's fine but I'm not understanding your involvement at this point.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54   #383
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Worried? No

But today was no different from the past few weeks. Prior to that it was going up a point every few days to a week.

Now show me some chart and prove me wrong...

-Emt1581
After all this time, I really don't know what to say.

After a spectacular runup, your silver settles into a trading range for a couple of weeks and you want to know if there is no more SHTF and all is hunkey-dory?

If that wasn't absurd enough, you expect someone here to tell you whether or not that is the case?
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:45   #384
Careby

The price of silver in dollars will double again. It's a mathematical certainty. It probably won't happen this year and it may even take a hundred years. It may drop by half first, and there may be a hundred other investments that outperform it including stocks. But it unquestionably will get there eventually. Of course this fact means absolutely nothing to us in practical terms. If you want to know what it's going to do next week, well, good luck with that.
Careby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26   #385
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

There are lulls in value growth constantly - we'll see $40/oz silver soon enough, both due to demand as well as the devaluation of the dollar.

It's about as certain as the tides at this point.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:07   #386
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
After all this time, I really don't know what to say.

After a spectacular runup, your silver settles into a trading range for a couple of weeks and you want to know if there is no more SHTF and all is hunkey-dory?

If that wasn't absurd enough, you expect someone here to tell you whether or not that is the case?
I stated an observations and said I'm looking for opinions. Why is it you always get up in arms when I do that?

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 01-15-2011 at 10:43..
Old 01-15-2011, 10:46   #387
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
There are lulls in value growth constantly - we'll see $40/oz silver soon enough, both due to demand as well as the devaluation of the dollar.

It's about as certain as the tides at this point.
But I remember about a year or two ago when I started paying attention to PM's...the talk was that due to the poor economic practices of the US Gov. over the last century or so, combined with the idea to just print more "money"...would make the dollar near worthless.

So what I'm curious about is if we've stopped printing our way out of debt and came up with some other, more sound, solution?

-Emt1581
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56   #388
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Quote:
So what I'm curious about is if we've stopped printing our way out of debt and came up with some other, more sound, solution?
All the evidence points to zero real change in policies - we're still borrowing silly amounts of money (federal budget > federal tax income) and we're still monetizing debt (QE2 continues over the next few months).

Like anything else, it will stall and surge, but there's nothing, nada, zip, zero the government has changed that would cause the value of PM's to stall or drop in the foreseeable future.

Keep on keeping on, at some point in the (nearish) future, $28/oz will look like $18/oz looked like a few months ago...
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03   #389
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
All the evidence points to zero real change in policies - we're still borrowing silly amounts of money (federal budget > federal tax income) and we're still monetizing debt (QE2 continues over the next few months).

Like anything else, it will stall and surge, but there's nothing, nada, zip, zero the government has changed that would cause the value of PM's to stall or drop in the foreseeable future.

Keep on keeping on, at some point in the (nearish) future, $28/oz will look like $18/oz looked like a few months ago...
And that's what I thought. That the Gov. didn't really change any policies or do anything to slow the crash course we're on. That's what I was asking about before.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 01-15-2011, 14:45   #390
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
What are you talking about? Where are you getting this stuff?

Here it is again:

Well, that was interesting.

$40-$50 was predicted for New Years. I basically called that claim out, and even inserted my own counter claim of $30.

Wouldn't you know it, it was right around $30.

Now that Jan 1 has come and gone I pointed it out.

Simple. Get it yet?

Next up is $5/gallon [gasoline] by March.

Pretty close. Jan 1 was $30.58, Monday when American markets reopened it closed at $31.11. If it drops to $25 I will start selling a bit, other than that I am in for the ride.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 16:03   #391
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
Pretty close. Jan 1 was $30.58, Monday when American markets reopened it closed at $31.11. If it drops to $25 I will start selling a bit, other than that I am in for the ride.
As am I.

I bought some awhile ago (2-3 years? Don't remember would have to check) when it was under $16.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-15-2011 at 16:03..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 16:58   #392
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
But I remember about a year or two ago when I started paying attention to PM's...the talk was that due to the poor economic practices of the US Gov. over the last century or so, combined with the idea to just print more "money"...would make the dollar near worthless.

-Emt1581
I guess I just can't follow how your mind works on this stuff and wonder why you bought in the first place.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 01-15-2011 at 16:59..
Old 01-16-2011, 19:43   #393
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I guess I just can't follow how your mind works on this stuff and wonder why you bought in the first place.
How my mind works shouldn't be a huge concern. And the purpose of buying it is for when the dollar collapses. If that doesn't happen in my lifetime, my kids get it. Should there be any other reasons to buy it?

-Emt1581
Old 01-16-2011, 22:28   #394
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
How my mind works shouldn't be a huge concern. And the purpose of buying it is for when the dollar collapses. If that doesn't happen in my lifetime, my kids get it. Should there be any other reasons to buy it?

-Emt1581
Its not a "huge" concern, but you come here and start threads engaging us with your thought processes, over and over and over again. So it is a bit disingenuous to to dismiss my comment because on an internet forum, this is the essence of what we participate in.

If you are buying it for a dollar collapse why would you have been previously worrying about a small difference in premium or shipping and now watching a daily price chart and concerning yourself over daily moves or lack thereof to the point of starting a thread focused on such? It makes no sense.

And, yes, there are other reasons to buy it beyond a dollar collapse.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 01-16-2011 at 22:29..
Old 01-16-2011, 22:34   #395
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Its not a "huge" concern, but you come here and start threads engaging us with your thought processes, over and over and over again. So it is a bit disingenuous to to dismiss my comment because on an internet forum, this is the essence of what we participate in.

If you are buying it for a dollar collapse why would you have been previously worrying about a small difference in premium or shipping and now watching a daily price chart and concerning yourself over daily moves or lack thereof to the point of starting a thread focused on such? It makes no sense.

And, yes, there are other reasons to buy it beyond a dollar collapse.
I watch the charts, not because I care about silver so much, but because it seems like a decent gauge of how things are going financially speaking. Finances effect quality of life, un/employment, etc.. Quality of life determines civility and so on...

But again...why does what I think matter?

I only asked if the recent slowing to the soar was an indication of hitting bottom or improvements federally speaking. Seems like most agree it's just a temporary pause due to the lack of any seen significant improvements in how the economy and government are doing.

And what did you feel I dismissed that you said?

-Emt1581
Old 01-16-2011, 22:52   #396
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I watch the charts, not because I care about silver so much, but because it seems like a decent gauge of how things are going financially speaking. Finances effect quality of life, un/employment, etc.. Quality of life determines civility and so on...
It is only one possible indicator and your timeframe is too short to make a "macro" judgement. In July of 07 silver was about $13/oz. Was that an indicator of things to come?

Quote:
But again...why does what I think matter?
I said nothing of what you think. I said I couldn't understand HOW you think on this stuff.

Quote:
I only asked if the recent slowing to the soar was an indication of hitting bottom or improvements federally speaking.
How could anyone possibly know that? And see my first comment above.

Quote:
Seems like most agree it's just a temporary pause due to the lack of any seen significant improvements in how the economy and government are doing.
There isn't a person here who can tell you with any degree of certainty WHY the price has behaved as it has over the last couple weeks. And there certainly isn't a person here who can tell you how governmental or central bank policies have affected the price in that timeframe.

And when "most agree", it is usually the wrong conclusion. "Most" agreed that housing was a solid investment in 2006 when in fact they were headed to a cliff and had missed the start of the commodities bull market by a few years. Fortunes aren't made where "most" agree. No charge for that one.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 01-16-2011 at 22:53..
Old 01-16-2011, 22:58   #397
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
It is only one possible indicator and your timeframe is too short to make a "macro" judgement. In July of 07 silver was about $13/oz. Was that an indicator of things to come?

I said nothing of what you think. I said I couldn't understand HOW you think on this stuff.

How could anyone possibly know that? And see my first comment above.

There isn't a person here who can tell you with any degree of certainty WHY the price has behaved as it has over the last couple weeks. And there certainly isn't a person here who can tell you how governmental or central bank policies have affected the price in that timeframe.

And when "most agree", it is usually the wrong conclusion. "Most" agreed that housing was a solid investment in 2006 when in fact they were headed to a cliff and had missed the start of the commodities bull market by a few years. Fortunes aren't made where "most" agree. No charge for that one.
Ok, so what does HOW I think matter?

And I wasn't asking for facts other than events that were public knowledge that maybe I didn't know about....or for someone to predict the future with ANY degree of certainty. I was asking for mostly opinion.

And again, what were you talking about in terms of "dismissing" you?

-Emt1581
Old 01-16-2011, 23:12   #398
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Ok, so what does HOW I think matter?

And I wasn't asking for facts other than events that were public knowledge that maybe I didn't know about....or for someone to predict the future with ANY degree of certainty. I was asking for mostly opinion.

And again, what were you talking about in terms of "dismissing" you?

-Emt1581
Life's too short, man. Knock yourself out.
Old 01-16-2011, 23:17   #399
quake

Quote:
...And when "most agree", it is usually the wrong conclusion...

...Fortunes aren't made where "most" agree...
Man, how I wish more people would realize and accept that. Most people that I encounter are ill-informed AND insolvent; what in the world would be my incentive to follow their examples...?

Not saying I have the answers because I usually don't, at least not the objectively 'right' ones. But the herd usually DOES have the wrong ones. If we're going to base our opinions or actions on the beliefs and actions of the herd to any degree, imo the safest approach would usually be to bet 180 degrees off what the herd does.

As far as how that translates to the future of PM prices, I'm not going to hazard a guess or public opinion other than "dammifino". People on both sides of the table (buyers AND sellers) are very emotionally invested right now and high emotions make for irrational marketplaces.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by quake; 01-16-2011 at 23:18..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 18:21   #400
Catshooter

CF,

As the song goes, "Only a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

Cat