Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:30   #501
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
If you bought 1000 ounces of silver when this thread was made and sold today, you would have made over $16,000...About 75% of your initial investment.

Hmm
It's interesting. I really stink at predicting this one. I keep thinking - 'okay, it's going to begin a decline now'. However the value just keeps going up (putting aside the little bumps up & down along the way). I guess I'm stuck in the mode of recalling when gold hit a peak then plummeted back down (~30 yrs ago).

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:31   #502
emt1581
Curious Member

Aside from the Hunt Brothers, when was the last time we saw this sort of performance in the silver market that, unlike the Hunt Brothers, the activity lasted for a few months to a few years?

What brought the prices back down?

Thanks

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37   #503
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
It's interesting. I really stink at predicting this one. I keep thinking - 'okay, it's going to begin a decline now'. However the value just keeps going up (putting aside the little bumps up & down along the way). I guess I'm stuck in the mode of recalling when gold hit a peak then plummeted back down (~30 yrs ago).
As I've said over and over - until the fundamental reason(s) for the increase in value of PM's is addressed, they will continue to increase vs the US dollar. This isn't a 'bubble' like so many wish to think, it's a response to an ever-weakening US dollar in an ever-weakening economy. Until those in DC take action to strengthen the fundamentals behind the economy and the US dollar, PM's will continue to gain value because they aren't typically purchased as investments, but rather as wealth storage.

Last edited by crimsonaudio; 04-12-2011 at 06:37.. Reason: spellin'
crimsonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05   #504
wjv

Last night on NBC news they were saying that gas (and other commodities) are going up in price because the dollar is heading downhill very fast. . The actual term they used was "precipitously". . . .

I think Gold & Silver fall into the category of "other commodities".

This is the first time I have ever heard a major lame stream news organization actually talk about the tanking dollar. Too bad the people at NBC don't seem to have enough brain capacity to link the ever growing National debt and the monetization of the debt with the crashing dollar. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:07   #505
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
If you bought 1000 ounces of silver when this thread was made and sold today, you would have made over $16,000...About 75% of your initial investment.

Hmm

Well yea, but the 'Warren Buffets' of Glock Talk S-T-I-L-L think that P.M.'s are a stupid thing to do. If I listened to all the 'genius' members I would be living in a trailer and driving a KIA.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:27   #506
jdavionic
NRA Member

So for the folks that currently own silver, what is your plan? Hang on to it in case of a dollar collapse? Or eventually sell it for profit? If the latter, how will you sell it?

Emt...hopefully you don't mind me asking the questions. If you think it strays too much from the OP, let me know and I can start a new thread.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47   #507
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
So for the folks that currently own silver, what is your plan? Hang on to it in case of a dollar collapse? Or eventually sell it for profit? If the latter, how will you sell it?

Emt...hopefully you don't mind me asking the questions. If you think it strays too much from the OP, let me know and I can start a new thread.
No, no big deal. I just wish someone would share their thoughts on the question I asked about BEFORE the Hunt Bros...

-Emt1581
Old 04-13-2011, 06:20   #508
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Quote:
Again, if PM's are used for protecting wealth, you hold them until you wish to monetize them (unless we reach a point where PM's are traded along side printed monies).

Hold them until you need them, all the while the dollar continues to fall (aka, PM prices increase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
No, no big deal. I just wish someone would share their thoughts on the question I asked about BEFORE the Hunt Bros...
In the last 640 years or so of tracked silver rates, these last two (very different) spikes in the price of silver are basically unprecedented. The first was a manipulation, the current is based on fears of the collapse of our current monetary system(s) (PM purchases to protect wealth aren't unique to the US).

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 04-13-2011, 10:08   #509
wjv

Quote:
So for the folks that currently own silver, what is your plan? Hang on to it in case of a dollar collapse? Or eventually sell it for profit? If the latter, how will you sell it?.
I'd like to hold, but if the prices keep going up, it will be hard not to sell.

I might sell some at $50. Ideally you sell when you think it has peaked, and then buy back in after the correction. What was that 1-800 psychic line number again???

As to "where to sell?". There are many PM dealers who will give you spot price, or very close to spot price for your metals. just remember, any sale $10K or over gets reported to Uncle Sam. .

Another route is to sell to individuals.

I'm a member at http://goldismoney2.com/forum.php, and have bought silver through the buy-sell area of the forum.

Another strategy is to swap your silver for gold when the ratio gets good. The G/S ratio is 36 right now, which is the lowest it has been in a long time.!

Let's say you buy 1000 oz of silver at $15/oz. At that time Gold is at $900 so the G/S ratio is 60
Time passes and Silver goes to $42, and Gold goes to $1260. So the G/S ratio is ~30
You swap your 1000 oz of silver for 33 oz of Gold
Two years later Silver is down to $30 and Gold is at $1,800, So the G/S ratio is back at 60
Now you swap your 33 oz of gold for 1,980 oz of silver

And so on.

It's a way to build your stash with very little cash outlay. .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 04-13-2011 at 12:26..
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38   #510
TimP
1 Proud Infidel

Send a message via AIM to TimP
I wont divulge just how much G&S I may or may not have, but I prefer to hold on to it until the time it could be used for bartering items etc.

I will say this though. Someone gave my fiance and I $1000 back in aug of last yr when we got engaged, to use for our wedding. Since we were not sure about wedding plans my fiance wanted to just stick the money in the credit union and "draw interest" , on it, so we could make a little money.

I had a slightly different idea.

I told her a good investment for us both was to go buy silver and hang on it it. We had a disagreement about it, but in the end I went down to the coin shop and was able to purchase 50 1oz silver eagles for $20 a piece.

fast forward to today.

Silver is at $40 an ounce, and with the eagles getting a slight premium, we have more than doubled our money, and I bet by the time the wedding comes around in Dec, we will have made even more
Intermedia Outdoors
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:11   #511
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
I'd like to hold, but if the prices keep going up, it will be hard not to sell.

I might sell some at $50. Ideally you sell when you think it has peaked, and then buy back in after the correction. What was that 1-800 psychic line number again???

As to "where to sell?". There are many PM dealers who will give you spot price, or very close to spot price for your metals. just remember, any sale $10K or over gets reported to Uncle Sam. .

Another route is to sell to individuals.

I'm a member at http://goldismoney2.com/forum.php, and have bought silver through the buy-sell area of the forum.

Another strategy is to swap your silver for gold when the ratio gets good. The G/S ratio is 36 right now, which is the lowest it has been in a long time.!

Lets say you buy 1000 oz of silver at $15/oz. At that time Gold is at $900 so the G/S ratio is 60
Time passes and Silver goes to $42, and Gold goes to $1260. So the G/S ratio is ~30
You swap your 1000 oz of silver for 33 oz of Gold
Two years later Silver is down to $30 and Gold is at $1,800, So the G/S ratio is back at 60
Now you swap your 33 oz of gold for 1,980 oz of silver

And so on.

It's a way to build your stash with very little cash outlay. .

If you consider $15,000 to be "very little cash outlay", more power to you.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:30   #512
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
If you consider $15,000 to be "very little cash outlay", more power to you.
The initial purchase wasn't the "little cash outlay"

The building the stash by swapping S -> G -> S -> G over time is the way to build a stash with little continuing cash outlay. . .

Doesn't matter if your initial purchase was 20, 100, 500, 1000 or more oz. The swapping method works.

- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 04-13-2011 at 12:30..
Old 04-13-2011, 13:12   #513
1 old 0311

Quote:

Each to their own but I have, over the last 60 days, SLOWLY sold, and traded about 10% of my silver. The trades were for pre lock S&W's so my cost on the $600, average, Smiths were less than $100 each.

In another few months, if prices continue to rise, I will sell/trade another 10%.

Would I recommend buying silver now? Yes, but I would recommend buying at a dollar cost averaging, a little each month.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 14:22   #514
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
Each to their own but I have, over the last 60 days, SLOWLY sold, and traded about 10% of my silver. The trades were for pre lock S&W's so my cost on the $600, average, Smiths were less than $100 each.

In another few months, if prices continue to rise, I will sell/trade another 10%.

Would I recommend buying silver now? Yes, but I would recommend buying at a dollar cost averaging, a little each month.
They've got away from the locks on some of their models (if not all). But there are usually MUCH better deals on used guns than new. Just figured I'd throw the info out there.

-Emt1581
Old 04-13-2011, 14:42   #515
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
Again, if PM's are used for protecting wealth, you hold them until you wish to monetize them (unless we reach a point where PM's are traded along side printed monies).

Hold them until you need them, all the while the dollar continues to fall (aka, PM prices increase).

In the last 640 years or so of tracked silver rates, these last two (very different) spikes in the price of silver are basically unprecedented. The first was a manipulation, the current is based on fears of the collapse of our current monetary system(s) (PM purchases to protect wealth aren't unique to the US).

Survival/Preparedness Forum
See I'm a big fan on learning from the past to help in the present and future. We can't really do that here. But thanks for the info and illustration.

I've seen talk on some youtube videos and on other forums about an upcoming decrease of Silver in relation to the dollar by up to half. In other words, it'll quickly roll back to $20 or so before shooting back up. The logic of it had something to do with JPMorgan.

Can anyone speak to it or share their opinion on it?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 04-14-2011, 14:45   #516
Catshooter

Emt,

IIRC, JP is short on silver to the tune of a couple zillion dollars on silver contracts, enough that if it gets too high, they could be toast. Or so I've read. No idea if it's true, strikes me as not a bad thing if they bit the dust. My opinion they're ain't too bid to fail, but then neither that idiot Bush or that fantastically worse idiot Obama asked my opinion on the matter. Go figure.

It closed at $42.09 today and if JP is hanging way out there this can't be helping their digestion on bit! So sad, too bad.

Cat

Last edited by Catshooter; 04-14-2011 at 17:54..
Catshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 15:57   #517
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
Emt,

IIRC, JP is short on silver to the tune of a couple zillion dollars on silver contracts, enough that if it gets too high, they could be toast. Or so I've read. No idea if it's true, strikes me as not a bad thing if they bit the dust.

It closed at $42.09 today and if JP is hanging way out there this can't be helping their digestion on bit! So sad, too bad.

Cat
Agreed.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 14:50   #518
maddawg918

We gonna see $43 today?
maddawg918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 15:03   #519
Don H

$43.07
Don H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 15:06   #520
maddawg918

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
$43.07

It's just a bubble.Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 04-15-2011, 15:21   #521
SilverCity

$50 by the end of April.

Any takers on $60?

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 04-15-2011 at 15:23..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 15:26   #522
maddawg918

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
$50 by the end of April.

Any takers on $60?

SC
Man I sure hope you are right.
Old 04-15-2011, 16:04   #523
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
Emt,

IIRC, JP is short on silver to the tune of a couple zillion dollars on silver contracts, enough that if it gets too high, they could be toast. Or so I've read. No idea if it's true, strikes me as not a bad thing if they bit the dust. My opinion they're ain't too bid to fail, but then neither that idiot Bush or that fantastically worse idiot Obama asked my opinion on the matter. Go figure.

Cat
Thanks for the info.

What about the price peeling back by half or so before skyrocketing?

-Emt1581
Old 04-15-2011, 16:11   #524
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Everyone I know that said it would hit $50 also said we'd see $100/oz before it was over with - there's zero reason to believe we won't (other than those who want it to be a bubble)...
Old 04-15-2011, 16:16   #525
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
Everyone I know that said it would hit $50 also said we'd see $100/oz before it was over with - there's zero reason to believe we won't (other than those who want it to be a bubble)...
Yeah given the success of my previous investments in Silver, it's taking every ounce of restraint not to buy a few hundred ounces by liquidating some other assets...

So no chance of the price plummeting very briefly before shooting through the roof? I read something about everyone offloading theirs at this point which would cause the drop but then everyone jumping on board once the price lowers to cause a skyrocket...something like that...

-Emt1581