Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44   #901
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,754


Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
http://www.perfect-wedding-day.com/gold-cakes.html

I can also pay off my fixed rate mortgage any time I want. Maybe I'll just wait awhile.

M
Hopefully you know I'm being sarcastic.

Keep that fixed rate mortgage my friend. It'll be downright free here shortly.
__________________
Im for law and order, the way that it should be. This songs about the night they spent protecting you from me. - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58   #902
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Hopefully you know I'm being sarcastic.

Keep that fixed rate mortgage my friend. It'll be downright free here shortly.
Gotcha

Yeah, I'll keep the mortgage...I think holding metals against a fixed is a REAL good idea right now.

SC
__________________
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:58   #903
UneasyRider
C.D.B.
 
UneasyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Now approaching $1700, and, wow, it continues to mirror the debt limit! If that trend alone continues gold will be $3000 by 2020.
Or even by the end of August...
__________________
"Freedom ain't Free" Ted Nugent at the House of Blues in Orlando.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07   #904
Catshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: South East South Dakota
Posts: 1,347
The end of August would surprise me, a little. If it takes all the way to 2020 I'd be shocked!


Cat
__________________
Think for yourself.
Catshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20   #905
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
The end of August would surprise me, a little. If it takes all the way to 2020 I'd be shocked!


Cat
I'm just saying all other factors could keep gold stagnant and the debt limit alone should drive the price to $3000. That's still an almost 100% gain in the next 8-9 years.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:41   #906
gatorbait69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 247
silver just took a nice dive. anyone have opinions on that?
gatorbait69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53   #907
UneasyRider
C.D.B.
 
UneasyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbait69 View Post
silver just took a nice dive. anyone have opinions on that?
Buy it quick.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
__________________
"Freedom ain't Free" Ted Nugent at the House of Blues in Orlando.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,

Last edited by UneasyRider; 08-04-2011 at 10:54..
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51   #908
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,202
Real quick.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Stocks...69799.html?x=0

Gold at 1680, scaring the poop out of petro which dropped into the 80s.

Dow at 11,5 and dropping, 300 points so far today.

Fall 2008, anyone?
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04   #909
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 5,049


Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
It all depends and when you start the chart. Shouldn't it be constant dollar as well to be a good measure? Also, correlation and causation are two different things.

There is a section there where gold is dipping and the debt limit is not. Wouldn't the actual debt be a better measure. They just as easily could have raised the debt limit to $30 trillion. Does that make us more risky or less risky? Would that have driven gold up or down and why? What is the causal link?
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36   #910
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 498
DJIA 11,383.68 -512.76
NASDAQ 2,556.39 -136.68
TSX Gold 374.18 -16.57
RUSSELL 728.98 -43.80
GOX 232.34 -14.36
NYSE 7,436.12 -417.08
TSX 12,339.75 -476.28
USD 75.13 +1.12
HUI 532.48 -30.89
NIKKEI 9,659.18 +22.04
JSE 2,533.32 -32.62
Crude Oil 86.45 -5.48


Hedge Funds selling some profitable assets (gold & silver & oil) to cover across-the-board losses in other sectors.

SC
__________________
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.

Last edited by SilverCity; 08-04-2011 at 15:22..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 16:25   #911
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
One or two points isn't that bad. I'm just waiting to see if silver and the market corrects or if it's a fast-paced-nose-dive to a financial SHTF that causes panic/etc.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:07   #912
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,754


Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
One or two points isn't that bad. I'm just waiting to see if silver and the market corrects or if it's a fast-paced-nose-dive to a financial SHTF that causes panic/etc.

-Emt1581
Regarding the silver price, why do you care? Why the fretting over margins?

The macro picture is crystal clear and right in front of you.
__________________
Im for law and order, the way that it should be. This songs about the night they spent protecting you from me. - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:13   #913
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Regarding the silver price, why do you care? Why the fretting over margins?

The macro picture is crystal clear and right in front of you.
So long as the macro picture is seen by all and the market responds accordingly, I DON'T care about the price of silver, because it should go through the roof or return to playing it's role as true currency in a standard sense.

As far as margins go, I just wish they got rid of them altogether. Not sure if rid is the right word but don't just raise or lower them slightly... go all the way to make everything equal...rather than only requiring certain percentages.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:19   #914
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,754


Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
So long as the macro picture is seen by all and the market responds accordingly, I DON'T care about the price of silver, because it should go through the roof or return to playing it's role as true currency in a standard sense.

As far as margins go, I just wish they got rid of them altogether. Not sure if rid is the right word but don't just raise or lower them slightly... go all the way to make everything equal...rather than only requiring certain percentages.

-Emt1581
How should the markets be responding right now?
__________________
Im for law and order, the way that it should be. This songs about the night they spent protecting you from me. - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:37   #915
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
It all depends and when you start the chart. Shouldn't it be constant dollar as well to be a good measure? Also, correlation and causation are two different things.

There is a section there where gold is dipping and the debt limit is not. Wouldn't the actual debt be a better measure. They just as easily could have raised the debt limit to $30 trillion. Does that make us more risky or less risky? Would that have driven gold up or down and why? What is the causal link?
The actual debt vs the debt limit wouldn't make that much difference. Considering how many times they've had to raise the debt limit it's obvious there typically isn't that large of a gap. The debt limit on the chart is a stair step. The actual debt would be a smoother line obviously but would still track the limit pretty closely.

As far as constant dollars, what difference would it make? You're comparing one value in dollars against another value in dollars for the same instant in time.

Eventually the gold price will probably come down, thus breaking the nice correlation in that chart (the odds of the debt ever coming down is basically zero). I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon though.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 08-04-2011 at 17:40..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:41   #916
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
How should the markets be responding right now?
Pretty much as it did today. But in regard to the macro picture as you call it, I was taking that to mean everything....the economy, debt, markets, etc...everything.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 22:50   #917
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 5,049


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
The actual debt vs the debt limit wouldn't make that much difference. Considering how many times they've had to raise the debt limit it's obvious there typically isn't that large of a gap. The debt limit on the chart is a stair step. The actual debt would be a smoother line obviously but would still track the limit pretty closely.

As far as constant dollars, what difference would it make? You're comparing one value in dollars against another value in dollars for the same instant in time.

Eventually the gold price will probably come down, thus breaking the nice correlation in that chart (the odds of the debt ever coming down is basically zero). I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon though.
Constant currency changes evrything because it changes the shape of the curve, and probably breaks the correlation that "appears" to be there. Lies, damn lies, statistics, and charts. You do know that we have run surpluses in that period, and the debt limit didn't go down. Maybe that is why the chart does not correlate there. It is a chart desgnied to make a point they want to make. That is why they chose the period they chose without the prior $800 peak. If we are running a net surplus, does gold go negative?

The chart is of no real value.

Last edited by racerford; 08-04-2011 at 22:51..
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 23:08   #918
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
APMEX Suspending Silver Sales Temporarily
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361207

What do you guys think?
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:03   #919
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
APMEX Suspending Silver Sales Temporarily
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361207

What do you guys think?
I've never seen it before and look what has taken place in the past two years in PM's. So I think it's telling in some ways.

EDIT: They seem to be selling now so I guess things were not as bad as expected.

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 08-08-2011 at 05:35..
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36   #920
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 498
Apmex can't hedge sales when the markets are closed.

SC
__________________
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,045
296 Members
749 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31