GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 14:19   #921
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
Apmex can't hedge sales when the markets are closed.

SC
What I'm curious about is how recent activity differs for paper vs physical? That is...if one was taken out of the equation what would we be seeing if anything different? Are people flocking to physical and selling off paper?

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 14:35   #922
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,905
Gold is now higher than platinum!
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:15   #923
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Gold is now higher than platinum!

It sure is. $4.50. Craziness.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-08-2011 at 15:16..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:19   #924
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
What I'm curious about is how recent activity differs for paper vs physical? That is...if one was taken out of the equation what would we be seeing if anything different? Are people flocking to physical and selling off paper?

-Emt1581
Hard to tell which is pushing the silver market more right now, metal or paper. Looks like people are still buying both.

But if Comex ever defaults on the paper contracts due to overwhelming demand for actual bullion delivery instead of cash settlement, then we will see a crash on Comex and the silver ETFs which should launch the silver prices much higher. Probably double from here...

This country is in trouble.

SC
__________________
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.

Last edited by SilverCity; 08-08-2011 at 17:39..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:06   #925
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
It sure is. $4.50. Craziness.
Well platinum was $2252 in 2008. What was gold then, like $700?

Could be that declining industrial demand is keeping silver down, just like it's depressing almost all other PMs except gold.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 08-08-2011 at 22:07..
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:23   #926
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 41,015


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Well platinum was $2252 in 2008. What was gold then, like $700?

Could be that declining industrial demand is keeping silver down, just like it's depressing almost all other PMs except gold.
IIRC, rapid drop in industrial demand really put a whack on Pt post crash.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:06   #927
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Industrial demand...is that why Silver is in limbo and Gold keeps going up?

I remember it being the other way around for a while but when I was paying attention they moved very close to each other in regard to up or down.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48   #928
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 498
Gold is in big demand everywhere. Central banks would rather hold it over anyone's currency.

Silver's weakness right now is probably due to stock market volatility, trader's swapping paper silver for gold, and govt manipulation. Silver is a relatively tiny market and much more easy for the big boys to play with. Time will reward investors.

I remember a few years back when silver investors bought in at 6-7-8 dollars and could only HOPE for $10 silver.

SC
__________________
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:37   #929
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
Gold is in big demand everywhere. Central banks would rather hold it over anyone's currency.

Silver's weakness right now is probably due to stock market volatility, trader's swapping paper silver for gold, and govt manipulation. Silver is a relatively tiny market and much more easy for the big boys to play with. Time will reward investors.

I remember a few years back when silver investors bought in at 6-7-8 dollars and could only HOPE for $10 silver.

SC
How will time reward investors of Silver?

Playing devils' advocate here...it'd really suck to have Gold continue to climb then skyrocket only to leave Silver in it's dust. This would go for an S&P as well as investment standpoint.

What happens when stores/individuals don't value Silver quite to high and everyone wants Gold only?

Thanks

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:39   #930
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
How will time reward investors of Silver?

Playing devils' advocate here...it'd really suck to have Gold continue to climb then skyrocket only to leave Silver in it's dust. This would go for an S&P as well as investment standpoint.

What happens when stores/individuals don't value Silver quite to high and everyone wants Gold only?

Thanks

-Emt1581
That is quite a leap there emt.

Why would nobody want silver?
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:52   #931
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 5,020


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
That is quite a leap there emt.

Why would nobody want silver?
It is an evil metal that has tons of industrial uses.... oh wait that won't make nobody want it.

Millions of people are being turned into Werewolves to be more on Team Jacob, so therefore are fearful of silver which will kill demand for silver, except for those that want to hunt them down and kill them so demand will be up.... wait that won't do it either.

The Hunt Brothers die, and everyone sees the folly of "investing" in silver and demand returns to normal industrial uses. It won't stop demand, but it won't be the financial panacea some think it is.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:27   #932
1 old 0311
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,254
I am just sitting back smiling.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:32   #933
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
How will time reward investors of Silver?

Playing devils' advocate here...it'd really suck to have Gold continue to climb then skyrocket only to leave Silver in it's dust. This would go for an S&P as well as investment standpoint.

What happens when stores/individuals don't value Silver quite to high and everyone wants Gold only?

Thanks

-Emt1581
As dollar continues to devalue and inflation buys you less goods, people will begin to see the value of silver as money. Since fewer people will be able to afford gold, demand for silver coins and bullion will increase and silver will rise in value, preserving owners wealth.

BTW, Europeans buy and hold gold, but few own silver because of high Value Added Tax which makes ownership cost prohibitive. We lucky U.S. citizens pay 3-5% over spot for silver....Europeans have to add 20% VAT on top of that.

Both gold and silver are returning to their 5000-year historic position as money and a store of wealth. This trend is disturbing to a number of folks, especially those who have spent a lifetime accumulating digits on a computer screen.


SC
__________________
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." But first it will make you miserable.

Last edited by SilverCity; 08-10-2011 at 07:54..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:40   #934
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
That is quite a leap there emt.

Why would nobody want silver?
I thought about that after I posted it and can't really justify it, based on that past 5000 years City mentioned. I just looked at the numbers and reacted to it.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:12   #935
Grayson
Senior Member
 
Grayson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,054


Quote:
This trend is disturbing to a number of folks, especially those who have spent a lifetime accumulating digits on a computer screen.
...anyone by chance listen to NPR this afternoon? I didn't catch the whole show, but they were talking about gold. And whoever it was they had on there...I dunno if he was mocking gold bugs so much as he was genuinely confused as to why gold has value at all. He said something to the effect that it only has value because people SAY it does, and thus is really in a 4000-year bubble. Though he did point out that the "bubble" might last ANOTHER 4000 years.

Maybe I just needed the whole show to get it, but I was doing quite a bit of for what little bit I was listening to.
__________________
GRNC. NRA, GOA Life
Keep doing 2A activism - each one of us is carrying at least 20 lazy gun owners that can't be bothered to!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
make it SUPER EASY!

Call the Senate on Bloomberg's dime: 855-440-4800

Last edited by Grayson; 08-09-2011 at 19:14..
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:24   #936
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 41,015


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
...anyone by chance listen to NPR this afternoon? I didn't catch the whole show, but they were talking about gold. And whoever it was they had on there...I dunno if he was mocking gold bugs so much as he was genuinely confused as to why gold has value at all. He said something to the effect that it only has value because people SAY it does, and thus is really in a 4000-year bubble. Though he did point out that the "bubble" might last ANOTHER 4000 years.

Maybe I just needed the whole show to get it, but I was doing quite a bit of for what little bit I was listening to.
He's gonna have to go back in a time machine 5000 years or so to get an accurate answer to his question.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:31   #937
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,905
They actually said something like "4000 year old bubble"???

I wonder if any of the chicks that are around NPR would give me their "worthless" diamond rings.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 08-09-2011 at 20:32..
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47   #938
Don H
Senior Member
 
Don H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,925
Gold $1870!!

Last edited by Don H; 08-19-2011 at 01:47..
Don H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:10   #939
wjv
Senior Member
 
wjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 12,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
We lucky U.S. citizens pay 3-5% over spot for silver....Europeans have to add 20% VAT on top of that.
__________________
Bill
Pacific NW


The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14   #940
wjv
Senior Member
 
wjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 12,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
and thus is really in a 4000-year bubble.
So gold which has held value for 4,000 years. .

The DOW which has been around since 1896. . and has had many ups/downs. .
__________________
Bill
Pacific NW


The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,269
312 Members
957 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42