Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2010, 23:03   #1
davesretired1

Factory .308 ammo question.

I have a question on .308 ammo. I picked up a Hawa/Axiom hvy barrel in 20". It has a 4-16 power scope on it. Longest distances I forsee shooting would be around 500yds. max. I reload handgun ammo, but have no plans on doing rifle ammo at this time. There are a ton of factory loadings out there, and I'm hoping you guys can guide me towards the more accurate ones. I have a ton of W. German surplus ammo to play with ( mostly used in my M1A ), but I'd like to settle on one factory round and stock a few hundred rounds of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
davesretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 23:28   #2
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Why wouldn't you load your own? .308 is easy and you'll save a ton of dough...

Ok, not what you asked... the 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match has been the, um... gold standard forever.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58   #3
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesretired1 View Post
I have a question on .308 ammo. I picked up a Hawa/Axiom hvy barrel in 20". It has a 4-16 power scope on it. Longest distances I forsee shooting would be around 500yds. max. I reload handgun ammo, but have no plans on doing rifle ammo at this time. There are a ton of factory loadings out there, and I'm hoping you guys can guide me towards the more accurate ones. I have a ton of W. German surplus ammo to play with ( mostly used in my M1A ), but I'd like to settle on one factory round and stock a few hundred rounds of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
You didn't really say what you'd be using the rifle for; hunting, informal target shooting, formal target shooting?

For hunting deer-size game, I'd recommend trying the Federal 150 SP load, as found in many Walmarts or sporting goods stores. It has consistently shot MOA or under groups in the last 3-4 .308s I've tried it in, including my own Remington VS. I bought a handful of boxes on clearance after hunting season about 10 years ago, and the way ammo prices have gone, I'm really glad I did.

For targets, I'd second the vote for Federal's Gold Medal Match ammo with the 168 BTHP bullet; however, try before you buy a large quantity -- I've seen a few rifles that didn't shoot this load very well. Most others shoot it very well indeed.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 10-14-2010 at 01:58..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23   #4
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Try the American Eagle (now owned by Federal) 168 grain OTM service rifle ammunition. This is made for safe use in the M-14 and is super accurate. The factory load is 42.5 grains of IMR-4064, CCI #34 mil spec primer, 168 grain open tip match bullet (like a Sierra Match King), Federal commercial case (not great for reloading due to loosening primer pockets), loaded to 2.80".
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42   #5
KILLERtj
F.I.B.

As Zombie Steve stated, look into reloading .308Win. You'll save a boat load of dough!!!

My favorite factory loads:
Hornady Match 168gr A-Max
Federal Gold Medal 168gr match

Good Luck,
KILLERtj
Old 10-14-2010, 10:00   #6
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I am a big fan of the 168 grain AMAX bullet for target shooting. That one goes in my handloads with a healthy dose of Varget.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44   #7
davesretired1

Thanks for the info. I use the rife for target shooting (informal) and long distance plinking. My desert shooting location uses a mountain for a backstop and I'll randomly pick out rocks or other targets at unknown distances to shoot at. I spend my reloading time on .45 and 9mm and only shoot .308 maybe a few hundred rounds a year. I was able to pick up a lot of military ammo years ago and usually shoot the M1A more than the bolt action. Not to say that I might not think of reloading in the future, but I've never loaded any rifle ( I currently have a 550). Thanks
davesretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 18:42   #8
Spiffums
I.C.P.

I read where Snipers used NATO rounds when they couldn't get match rounds.
Old 10-14-2010, 22:43   #9
BushBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERtj View Post

My favorite factory loads:
Hornady Match 168gr A-Max
Federal Gold Medal 168gr match

Good Luck,
KILLERtj
My dept recently switched from the Gold Medal to the Hornady Tap 168 V-Max. The Gold Medal is a great round, and is still the benchmark by which all other rounds are measured, but all of us printed tighter groups with the Hornady. Every rifle is different, but ours like the Hornady better. (FN SPR)

Your rifle will more than likely be different. Buy a couple boxes of each and see how they print.

Edit to add: We have had three rounds where the primer was punctured or fell out after being fired. That was with last years purchase. This years purchase is a different lot #, no issues so far.

Last edited by BushBond; 10-14-2010 at 22:51..
BushBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 22:44   #10
BushBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I read where Snipers used NATO rounds when they couldn't get match rounds.
Umm, what else would they use?
BushBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 22:54   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Beats using your rifle as a club...