Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2010, 19:11   #1
Tvov

20g slug for deer

I did a quick search, and read through some old threads.

A friend has invited me up to his deer camp this fall to hunt. I am a newbie at hunting, but have been shooting for a while.

I have a 20g Winchester Ranger pump gun, smooth bore, with a screw in Improved Cylinder choke. Is it okay to shoot slugs through that? Are rifled slugs okay to shoot through that?

I don't really want to invest in a "slug barrel" unless I know I will continue hunting. I am hoping to use my shotgun "as is" for now.

Asking some friends who hunt, the responses run the gamut from "no way! You need to get dedicated deer gun!" to "no problem, it'll drop them".

Thanks for the responses.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 19:26   #2
CC Glock

I would leave the choke out but thats just me. At the right range and the right shot placement the the round will kill a deer. Just make sure the leg is foward so the vitals are exposed. Good luck brother
Old 10-17-2010, 20:28   #3
K.Kiser

Give it an accuracy test with and without the choke, four or five test rounds each... The slug with good placement will certainly make a clean kill on a deer, just keep the shots short and avoid and big bone joints... A good lung shot is a done deal on any deer...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 20:55   #4
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
I did a quick search, and read through some old threads.

A friend has invited me up to his deer camp this fall to hunt. I am a newbie at hunting, but have been shooting for a while.

I have a 20g Winchester Ranger pump gun, smooth bore, with a screw in Improved Cylinder choke. Is it okay to shoot slugs through that? Are rifled slugs okay to shoot through that?

I don't really want to invest in a "slug barrel" unless I know I will continue hunting. I am hoping to use my shotgun "as is" for now.

Asking some friends who hunt, the responses run the gamut from "no way! You need to get dedicated deer gun!" to "no problem, it'll drop them".

Thanks for the responses.
It's fine to shoot slugs through that barrel. Leave the choke tube in place. If you take it out you may damage the threads when firing.

Rifled slugs are the proper ones to use in a smooth bore barrel.

The gun will kill deer just fine. But you need to practice with it and know your distance limitations.

Use a 9" paper plate, shoot off hand only. Your maximum range is the furthest distance you can keep all your shots on the paper plate. It will probably be around 50-75 yards. It may be more or less, but whatever it is that is the maximum range you should be shooting at deer.

A rifled slug barrel with a scope will probably increase your maximum range. But for now your shotgun should do fine for killing deer within it's limitations.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58   #5
Tvov

Thanks, those are the responses I was hoping for. I was shooting the gun yesterday, and did well at 50 yards. I will target shoot more before going out, but so far I am happy with the results.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

My best friend from High School and I hunted together for three years and all he had was a 20 gauge pump. He took three deer with it and every one of those deer had holes on both sides and none went more than 30 yards. Good luck!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:42   #7
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
It's fine to shoot slugs through that barrel. Leave the choke tube in place. If you take it out you may damage the threads when firing.
That was what I was figuring. I have 3 screw in chokes available -- Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full. I always thought that Improved Cylinder was the least amount of choke? I figure I want little or no choke when shooting slugs?

Thanks Big Bird for the confidence building post!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:25   #8
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Keep hitting that pie plate.

But sooner or later, you should have a 12 gauge at your disposal.

You can always use the 20 gauge for rabbit, grouse, doves, and the like.

But turkey, deer, and wild hogs really deserve the 12 gauge.