SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:25   #1
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

XL650 tweaking done

Well, I got some time today and got all my little enhancements done on the XL650.
Completed were the Uniquetek micrometer powder measure dial, powder baffle and toolhead clamp down kit (toolhead now held down with allen cap screws). Modified shellplate detent ball spring (cut 2/3 of a coil) and shellplate thrust bearing add-on to make the shellplate movement even smoother. Redding 9mm competition seating die and decided to add the RCBS lock-out die at the third station in the process to make it complete. I zeroed the seating die at 1.130 OAL and found that the micrometer powder dial was right at .5 on the scale with my standard 4.1g (4.12 average of 10) TG charge.
Ran 300 rounds, the first 200 taking my time just to insure all the bugs were worked out (none other than a couple of .380 cases got past me in the cull, but to my surprise the case dimension is enough that the powder charge volume raised in the case was caught by the RCBS lock-out die) then did the last 100 at what I would consider to be normal pace, timed out to be just a shade over 6 minutes. I have to say that I am very pleased.
Here are the pictures as promised though I apologize for the rather low quality as all I had was the cellphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading - Click for larger version   Reloading - Click for larger version   Reloading - Click for larger version   Reloading - Click for larger version   Reloading - Click for larger version  

Reloading - Click for larger version  
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 05-30-2011 at 17:46..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03   #2
Bello
America/Italia

looking damn good ordering my 650 friday!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41   #3
shotgunred
reloading nut

Looks like it is time to crank out a serious amount of ammo.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:09   #4
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Another insight I forgot to mention in my previous posts. The one thing that some people have called a CON in the "what press to get" debate for the XL650 is the fact the LNL has zerk fitting a critical pivot joints for routine lubing. If you look closely at the first pick you will see that Dillon has added a hollow bolt tapped with zerks on the bolts that the ram arms pivot on. It was a highly surprising feature as I had noted that they were not present on some of older floor model 650's I see around in a couple of the gun/reloading supply shops locally.

ReloadingReloading

(Posting a pic of the SDB next to just for the hell of it)
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-30-2010 at 21:32..
Old 10-18-2010, 12:22   #5
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Very nice, Is that a Dillion die with the micrometer on it?

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:37   #6
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Very nice, Is that a Dillion die with the micrometer on it?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=126941

Redding competition seating die.

Reloading
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-19-2010 at 08:52..
Old 10-18-2010, 12:42   #7
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Nice, thats the only thing i did not like about the Dillon dies. Very hard to adjust small amounts of of bullet depth.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:44   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I will have one of those for every caliber that I load much for. If you want to experiment with a different bullet size/shape, you can write down the "setting" for your regular bullet, adjust for new bullet, and easily run to your original setting without loosening a lock ring. Done.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:47   #9
fredj338

How do you like the Unitek for the powder measure? I have been eyeballing one for my 550B for ever. It gets the most caliber changes so I think it would be more beneficial. My 650 pretty much loads one or two diff 45acp loads, that's it. I wish the 550B had grease fittings.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I will have one of those for every caliber that I load much for. If you want to experiment with a different bullet size/shape, you can write down the "setting" for your regular bullet, adjust for new bullet, and easily run to your original setting without loosening a lock ring. Done.
That is the greatest feature and one after this weekends match I will be using for sure... I found that my standard 1.135 OAL loads that I use in the Glocks don't fair too well on the STI Spartan 9mm I have. The Tripp mags tend to nosedive the bullets the first couple of rounds. I'll be loading those out further to 1.140-5 range and bumping the charge a little to compensate. Between the Redding and UniqueTek dials it will make it an easy switch back to the standard Glock loads.
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-18-2010 at 12:56..
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
How do you like the Unitek for the powder measure? I have been eyeballing one for my 550B for ever. It gets the most caliber changes so I think it would be more beneficial. My 650 pretty much loads one or two diff 45acp loads, that's it. I wish the 550B had grease fittings.
The powder measure is a nice feature as I stated in the above post about my Spartan, my now truly justified reason why I'm glad I got it. Fred, the newer 550B's have the same zerked bolts I'm told. you might want to give Dillon a call and see it they will send you a couple.
Oh if you get the UniqueTek dial get the powder baffle too... after Steve mentioned it I experimented and found that it does keep the consistancy regardless of the amont of powder in the hopper, worth the extra $7 especially if your going to get the dial anyways.
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-19-2010 at 08:48..
Old 10-18-2010, 14:38   #12
Bello
America/Italia

hey box what exactly is that lil flashlight set up is it custom?
Old 10-18-2010, 15:07   #13
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I have the Uniquetek Micrometer Powder Measure, and love it too (their powder baffle also). I love this equally with the Redding Micrometer Seating Die.

I'm not exactly convinced that the Uniquetek Micrometer measure returns you *quite* to the exact previous point as does the seating die, but it is dang close.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 15:36   #14
Colorado4Wheel

I like my Uniquetek Micrometer alot. Even though it does have Unique in it's name. That I can do with out. Seriously, great dial.
Old 10-18-2010, 15:59   #15
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I have the Uniquetek Micrometer Powder Measure, and love it too (their powder baffle also). I love this equally with the Redding Micrometer Seating Die.

I'm not exactly convinced that the Uniquetek Micrometer measure returns you *quite* to the exact previous point as does the seating die, but it is dang close.
I agree with you Ron… In my case it appears to be the ogive of the PD 124 FMJ bullets all appear to be just at tad different from bullet to bullet. That and the use of mixed brass make a greatly reduce however still existing slight variance in OAL inevitable. I did do a trial run with some all Federal brass that I have sorted and found the variance tightened quite significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
hey box what exactly is that lil flashlight set up is it custom?
LOL, no bought it new as is... it's little single LED, with a 3 (AAA) battery pack, the base is magnetic and the flex arm is a coil tube. I it for about $6 at Harbor Freight tools a while back. I laugh cause the name escapes me right now and I was looking at it yesterday and made a note to myself to remember it as I was thinking of getting another to have one for each press but mainly just to have handy as I sometimes take it with me for use elsewhere.
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-18-2010 at 16:18..
Old 10-24-2010, 16:23   #16
Bello
America/Italia

hey box on the powder bar micrometer did you install it yourself or just ordered the whole piece i see they are out of stock just wondering?!?
Old 10-24-2010, 18:11   #17
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
hey box on the powder bar micrometer did you install it yourself or just ordered the whole piece i see they are out of stock just wondering?!?
Self... not difficult just read the instructions carefully... make sure you clean away the teflon coating on the bore well and wipe it all down with alcohol before applying the loctite bearing retainer compound.
&