SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 16:52   #1
Police Marksman

357 Sig Over Penetration?

One of our local LEOs was executing a search warrant, and was forced to shoot a bad guy. Our LEO was armed with a 357 Sig with 125 grain Speer Gold Dot ammo.

The bad guy took six rounds in the chest before stopping. All six rounds penetrated the bad guy, went through a couple of walls and exited the house almost striking an officer outside. I don't believe any of the rounds expanded.

Something you might want to consider if you chose the 357 Sig for self defense.

Last edited by Police Marksman; 10-18-2010 at 21:13..
Old 10-18-2010, 17:02   #2
Clem Eastwood

Interesting.

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Old 10-18-2010, 17:45   #3
cowboy1964

The same will happen to some degree with any of the major calibers, just maybe worse with .357 Sig because of the velocity (OTOH it's light so...). A non-expanded JHP is just like a FMJ and will exceed 24" in gel.

I wonder what the guy was wearing that would have clogged 6 JHPs in a row. Is there any news story on this online?

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-18-2010 at 17:47..
Old 10-18-2010, 17:49   #4
Glockbuster

Do you know what clothing the bad guy was wearing ?

what is the LE agency´s veredict as to the round´s failure ?

do you have any links or evidence to support your posting ?
Old 10-18-2010, 18:16   #5
frank_drebin
1-man flash mob

I was in a now closed (ATF shut them down) local gun shop on the Mcdonough Square last year looking at holsters for my G33. The elderly man that runs the shop asked me what I carried and I told him it was a Glock 33. He said "If you don't mind me giving you a little advice, get a 40S&W barrel for it and lose the 357sig barrel". At first I took it as a basic "my caliber is better than your caliber" comment and just kind of ignored it. He then proceeded to tell me that he shot someone in the store last year with a Glock 32 in 357 sig with 125gr Gold Dots. That got my attention real quick. He said that the round went in the man's chest on the right and exited his lower back without any expansion. The man that was shot survived and he stated that it was a very close in shot (around 7 feet). After I left the shop I called an LEO friend in the city and asked him about the incident. He recounted the story (which is a whole different post for sometime) and said the same thing in regards to the 357 sig. He said that the 125gr Gold Dot 357 sig round had a history of that in their experience and that several cases over the years had shown "full through and through penetration" when the 357sig round encountered no bone. The man that was shot was leaning over at an angle when struck (and was an innocent store employee that spooked the older man).
Old 10-18-2010, 18:42   #6
Police Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
Do you know what clothing the bad guy was wearing ?

what is the LE agency´s veredict as to the round´s failure ?

do you have any links or evidence to support your posting ?
It occurred during the summer in Texas, so I assume the suspect was wearing only a light shirt. I was told by my source that the department is considering going to the 45 ACP, although I would not say the round was a complete failure. The bad guy was stopped very rapidly before he could fire again. I don't have any links the shooting is still under investigation so I can't get to detailed, sorry.
Old 10-18-2010, 18:48   #7
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

BUT, but what about the ballistic pressure wave??!!

hahaha

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-18-2010, 18:48   #8
Glockbuster

Wow, it would be really important to get all the details and facts on this if possible. I don't see how a different but similar bullet like a 9 mm going 200 fps slower would have made a difference though. And then there is the issue of weight where supposedly the heavier bullets penetrate more.

Go figure.
Old 10-18-2010, 19:06   #9
cowboy1964

To the OP, you should post this story in the GATE Self-Defense forum. I'd be interested in Ayoob's opinion.
Old 10-18-2010, 19:17   #10
Snowman92D

Impossible. Calibrated gell-o testing shows the .357 Sig doesn't perform any different than the 9mm 147-grain subsonic with regard to expansion and penetration.
Old 10-18-2010, 20:01   #11
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman92D View Post
Impossible. Calibrated gell-o testing shows the .357 Sig doesn't perform any different than the 9mm 147-grain subsonic with regard to expansion and penetration.
And there's a lot of documented history about just how successful the 147JHP subsonics worked in the real world, right Snowman?

I guess BGs haven't learned how to act like blocks of jello yet.
Old 10-18-2010, 20:11   #12
Haymarket

If none of those rounds expanded, i would think it is a Gold Dot design problem, not a 357 sig problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 20:24   #13
NAC

Nothing personal Marksman but without the facts of the case your statement can't be substantiated and is in the same class as "I knew a guy that said". I can give a case right now with attached PowerPoint of a BG shot 17 times at a distance of 20 feet. 15 of those hits were 180gr .40 and 2 were 5.56 75gr. The three officers on scene had to fight with the guy to get cuffs on him. He later died.

Adrenaline and the survival instinct trump all small arm calibers short of 25mm.
Old 10-18-2010, 21:32   #14
Police Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
If none of those rounds expanded, i would think it is a Gold Dot design problem, not a 357 sig problem.
Haymarket
Your right, its just the Speer Gold dot is probably the most popular law enforcement round in that caliber. I am just suggesting you might consider another round if carrying the 357 Sig.
Old 10-18-2010, 21:37   #15
Glockbuster

I might consider it but I wont do it. For one case that is for now hearsay there are many others that work just fine. We have to make decisions based on a more ample point of view.
Old 10-18-2010, 21:41   #16
Police Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC View Post
Nothing personal Marksman but without the facts of the case your statement can't be substantiated and is in the same class as "I knew a guy that said". I can give a case right now with attached PowerPoint of a BG shot 17 times at a distance of 20 feet. 15 of those hits were 180gr .40 and 2 were 5.56 75gr. The three officers on scene had to fight with the guy to get cuffs on him. He later died.

Adrenaline and the survival instinct trump all small arm calibers short of 25mm.
NAC
I understand where you are coming from. There are no links that talk about the effects of the officers 357 Sig, or even how many times the bad guy was shot or what with.

At this time there is possibility of a pending law suit, and I cannot get too detailed. I did get this information from a investigator from the department, so I believe the information to be very reliable.
Old 10-18-2010, 21:45   #17
cowboy1964

Perhaps a non-bonded would be the best choice with .357 Sig. Ranger or HST. Is Golden Saber available in .357 Sig? Or how about the Federal EFMJ. Pretty much guaranteed expansion on that from what I can tell.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-18-2010 at 21:46..
Old 10-19-2010, 00:49   #18
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Marksman View Post
One of our local LEOs was executing a search warrant, and was forced to shoot a bad guy. Our LEO was armed with a 357 Sig with 125 grain Speer Gold Dot ammo.

The bad guy took six rounds in the chest before stopping. All six rounds penetrated the bad guy, went through a couple of walls and exited the house almost striking an officer outside. I don't believe any of the rounds expanded.

Something you might want to consider if you chose the 357 Sig for self defense.
I would say antecdotal evidence. Many depts have had many shootings w/ spectacular results. You are probably just as likely to overpenetrate w/ some of the 9mm or 40 heavies.
Quote:
Perhaps a non-bonded would be the best choice with .357 Sig. Ranger or HST. Is Golden Saber available in .357 Sig? Or how about the Federal EFMJ. Pretty much guaranteed expansion on that from what I can tell.
Other rounds are available: RangerT & RemGSB are both good rounds. At least in my backyard denim wetpack test, they all perform about the same. My LEO buddy, that got me into the 357sig, has shot dozens of deer w/ his duty GoldDot load & the few shootings they have had, they had no such extreme issues of non expansion. Really, what JHP doesn't have at least one horror story of a multiple round, non stop failure?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-19-2010 at 00:54..
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02   #19
Trigger Finger

Head shot!!!

If you have to shoot someone more than twice then go for the head. I know, easier said than done, that's why you practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33   #20
ABNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
This.

Cor Bon 125gr Sierra JHP would quite likely NOT overpenetrate. Chrono'd some myself at around 1375fps average from a Glock 32. It would likely fragment. Now, some here will say that is not good but it is the closest simulation of the effects of the vaunted 125gr .357 Magnum round out there. Just sayin'......

11C2P '83-'87

Last edited by ABNAK; 10-19-2010 at 08:39..

Closed Thread