Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03   #1
EM87

9mm cast lead bullet sizing

I will getting a Lee Classic Turret Press in about two months along with all the other equipment I need for reloading. Here is the link to the kit I'm getting (with both upgrades):

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41

I am planning on casting my own 9mm bullets and need to know: do I need some kind of bullet sizing die, or is the Lee Deluxe Carbide Die Set is all I need?

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Lee Classic Turret Press, .380 Auto, 9mm
EM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26   #2
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

The Lee Deluxe is all you will need. Good choice on the LCT from Kempfs.

Are you experience at casting lead? I ask cause if only beginning to reload most bite off only one segment of the hobby at a time.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08   #3
EM87

I have no experience with casting. I have very minimal experience with reloading. Thanks for the reply!

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14   #4
EM87

I also have to ask: will the Lee sizing die be okay if I'm putting lead through a GLOCK? I read WiskyT's novel in this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...s+glock&page=2

where he recommended larger bullets, up to .358 diameter for 9mm. Will the Lee sizing dies be too small for 9mm in a GLOCK? (Which may create leading?)

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44   #5
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM87 View Post
I also have to ask: will the Lee sizing die be okay if I'm putting lead through a GLOCK? I read WiskyT's novel in this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...s+glock&page=2

where he recommended larger bullets, up to .358 diameter for 9mm. Will the Lee sizing dies be too small for 9mm in a GLOCK? (Which may create leading?)
The sizing die will work, won't matter as the sizing die resizes the brass prior to the flaring to accept the chosen bullet.

Good luck with your endevour personal in the lead through the Glock barrel debate. I have tried one or twice and though I personally feel it can be done safely, provided certain factors are monitored. However unless I was casting my own bullets, which I wouldn't until maybe retirement in 20 years or so... and have the time to experiment with it... not worth the trouble to me.
I even gave up the lead through aftermarket barrel and sold those too.
FMJ is just easier for me in Glocks, and we have a Bear Creek distributer friend at the our IDPA club that I can purchase 9mm 125g RN fairly cheap if I chose to go that route with my standard rifled 9mm's.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:51   #6
fredj338

Quote:
I will getting a Lee Classic Turret Press in about two months along with all the other equipment I need for reloading. Here is the link to the kit I'm getting (with both upgrades):

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41

I am planning on casting my own 9mm bullets and need to know: do I need some kind of bullet sizing die, or is the Lee Deluxe Carbide Die Set is all I need?
Couple of things. I would NOT start my reloading for the 9mm w/ lead bullets. It's about the toughest of the service rounds to get good results w/ lead bullets. There are just so many variables, you need to learn the reloading part first IMO. Get 2000 FMJ form PRecisionDelta. Get a medium burn rate powder, like WSF, Unique or Universal & load all 2000. Learn the process, then you can think about lead bullets.
Casting your own, not tough but lots of little things to get right for best results in the 9mm. It starts w/ bullet size. if you are going to shoot as cast dia, then you don't need any sizing/lubing gear. They'll likely shoot fine if you use a good alloy for the powder/pressure you choose. However, deepnding on the mold, as cast can be too large for proper fit & fuinction in your gun & then sizing the bullet is the only way to make it right. One can get good results w/ wheel wt alloy & WSF shooting as cast & lubed w/ that sticky ALox (tumble lube). I prefer sizing & lubing in a sizer like the Star/Magma or at the least a RCBS luber/sizer. Many get fine results tumble lubing though, just not for me.
Hopefully you have read The ABCs of Reloading or at least a reloading manual. There are few safe short cuts in reloading, even with the internet. A good book for the cast bullet shooter is Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook. Reading is still important.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-19-2010 at 12:55..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 13:23   #7
EM87

I've read the ABC's and Lyman's 49th. I probably will hold off on casting until I'm more familiar with reloading but I want to gather as much information as possible now.

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Old 10-19-2010, 13:40   #8
Colorado4Wheel

9mm casting is not horrible but not easy. Casting as a rule is a little complicated. It's a mix of a science and a art. So you just need to do it to learn it. I would not start my reloading career casting my own bullets as well. But reloading is not exacted complicated if you just are careful so it should not take you long to get that part figured out. Good luck with your process. If you get a chance to watch someone cast that would be the best thing to do.
Old 10-19-2010, 13:42   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Just to be clear, the 4 die set has a case sizing die not a bullet sizing die.
Old 10-19-2010, 14:10   #10
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

The best way to learn to cast is to attend Little Stevie's 'Bullet Casting and Origami class.

The class meets every second Saturday of the month... prior registration is highly recommended since availability sells out quickly.

Cost is a nominal $350 which includes the electricity to power your self-supplied melting furnace and directions to the nearest Subway Submarine Shop so you may enjoy an afternoon repast during one of the frequent breaks.

It is strongly encouraged that you stop at a Walmart parking lot and secure at least fifty pounds of wheel weights prior to arriving at the class.

Expect to be in class for a total of 5 1/2 hours... which coincidentally is the same amount of time that Little Stevie has been casting.

(Your other option is to actually walk into the Walmart, buy a few boxes of WWB in your desired caliber and go shooting.)

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 15:35   #11
Colorado4Wheel

5 and a half hours. I wasted that much time sending casting equipment back. I have been casting at least twice as long as that.

Funny enough I was shooting on Saterday in Ramah and the two guys I went out there with were very interested in casting. ESPECIALLY when they heard 100 rds cost me $3.50.
Old 10-19-2010, 15:43   #12
jmorris

Casting is a simple and effortless process with the right equipment and art with most common beginner tools. Think of your $20 lee pot and a dipper as a paint brush and a quality casting machine as a laser printer.

I’m with the others, load first the move on.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 16:23   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent

I think the OP was wondering if the bullets don't need to be sized because ultimately the loaded round will be passed through a Lee FCD. I haven't used an FCD, so if that is the question, I can't give any personal input. C.E. Ed Harris, who is probably the greatest ammo expert extant has written about how he loads 32 ACP with unsized cast bullets and run them through a Lee FCD he had Lee make up for him.

The only 9mm bullet I cast is a Lee 120TC that comes out of the mold at 0.357". I load them unsized in 9mm for my G17 with factory barrel and in 38Spl unsized, tumble lubed in liquid alox. I get excellent results with that combo without using a Lee FCD.

ETA: I would echo the others who recommend learning to walk before you run and use store bought jacketed bullets to begin with.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 10-19-2010 at 16:24..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27   #14
EM87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Just to be clear, the 4 die set has a case sizing die not a bullet sizing die.
That is what I wanted to know, thank you. So I'll still need to buy a whole new press (sizing press and die?) if I need to size my cast bullets?

Thanks to everyone else for the info. I most likely will start off just reloading. I haven't decided yet, but I won't need to for a while. I'm not getting my reloading equipment for another few months.

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54   #15
fredj338

Quote:
That is what I wanted to know, thank you. So I'll still need to buy a whole new press (sizing press and die?) if I need to size my cast bullets?

Thanks to everyone else for the info. I most likely will start off just reloading. I haven't decided yet, but I won't need to for a while. I'm not getting my reloading equipment for another few months.
No, Lee sells a press monted sizing die, very affordable. It requires you lube the bullets prior, like pan lubing or tumble lubing, then run them thru the szing die. If I were only shooting 200rds a week or so, that would work for me w/ pan lubing, but a separate press that does both, a lot easier when you are talking higher volumn. I can lube & size about 1500/hr on the Star/Magma.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 19:06   #16
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:

Only way you can size bullets in a regular press is with the Lee Bullet Sizing dies. You need to lube them first with Alox.

After that you get a Lyman/RCBS, Saeco, Star.

Or, just lube them with Alox and shoot them unsized. I don't like Alox but that will work just fine for people that don't mind that product. I just don't like the sticky bullets and I don't find it faster. Only a whole lot cheaper.
Old 10-20-2010, 20:48   #17
EM87

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know!

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Old 10-20-2010, 20:55   #18
Colorado4Wheel

No problem.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35   #19
EM87

Quick question:

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5...ategory_Code=9

They're the cheapest bullest I can find, but they're cast. Would it be better to not shoot cast bullets at all until I start making my own after I'm comfortable with reloading?

GLOCK 19, Sig Sauer P238
Old 10-22-2010, 01:14   #20
kopsy

I have ordered two hundred twice from dardas. Both times it took about two weeks to get the bullets. They look good, sized and lubed well. I would recommend them.
kopsy is offline   Reply With Quote