Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2010, 15:00   #1
norton

Press ram lubrication

I own 3 presses from different companies, and each one suggests a different lubricant for the ram.
One - motor oil
One - gun oil
One -dry graphite.

What do you guys use?
Old 10-20-2010, 15:08   #2
CitizenOfDreams

Any lube will do, it's not a 20,000RPM racing motor. Lithium grease is cleaner; motor oil is easier to apply.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 15:18   #3
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

This is what I use

Reloading
Old 10-20-2010, 16:49   #4
ColdShot

I have yet to see my ram get slow from under lube or wrong lube but
I lube every now and then with 30W oil
ColdShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 16:52   #5
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

After years of exposure to LPS products in aviation. I use LPS 1, being I have at least 2 cans handy already.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lu...s_pg/LPS1.html

I wipe the ram, like we used to do on oleo struts for our jets, every other loading season with a lightly dampemed cloth to clean and lubricate.
The nice thing about it is being a dry film lubricant it doesn't attract dust like oil or grease do. Also LPS 1 doesn't attack plastics, so works well for those requiring lubrication as well as metal pivots, etc.

Reloading
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-21-2010 at 00:24..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 17:06   #6
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I assume you can produce the receipts for those cans of LPS.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 17:14   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I assume you can produce the receipts for those cans of LPS.

Jack
Well I could... if my dog wouldn't have...
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-20-2010, 17:31   #8
shotgunred
reloading nut

I let my 4 year old draw on it with a pencil. I then claim its dry graphite. If it breaks I think it is guaranteed.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 19:11   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Dillon recommends 30W motor Oil. I don't see an advantage to not follow that recommendation.
Old 10-20-2010, 19:16   #10
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Dillon recommends 30W motor Oil. I don't see an advantage to not follow that recommendation.

Yes I agree. My first press was a Lyman TMag. Their instructions were to use Dry graphite. Too messy, too much trouble to find. And it did not lube very well.

I have a yellow bottle of Valvoline HD 30 that I keep under my bench.
Old 10-20-2010, 19:34   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
The fact that Dillon recommends specifically 30W motor oil IMO is of no consequence. Oil is oil, a lubricant is a lubricant… I avoid motor oil as an external lubricant at all costs in all applications cause it attracts dust and dirt. Thus my choice is LPS 1.
In this case for a loaders ram, a lateral load, it doesn't matter, you could use olive oil and it would do just as good of a job provided you applied it often enough.
&
Old 10-20-2010, 19:54   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Weight does matter. To thin moves off the ram easier then the thicker oil. If I worked my press in a truely dusty area I would consider something else. I load inside and see no reason to not just use 30w. It's about the cheapest oil you can buy anyway.
Old 10-20-2010, 20:34   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

If I used olive oil as a press lubricant I'n never get a round loaded... I'd be hungry all the time.

Speaking of which...

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 20:42   #14
OkieGunNut

I use REM OIL on my RockChuckers and my Lyman 450 lube sizer. It works well. The main thing is to lube with something as needed.
OkieGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 20:49   #15
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I clean then use a spray on lube that dries to the touch, seems to work.
Old 10-20-2010, 20:54   #16
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Weight does matter. To thin moves off the ram easier then the thicker oil. If I worked my press in a truely dusty area I would consider something else. I load inside and see no reason to not just use 30w. It's about the cheapest oil you can buy anyway.
Like I said Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
In this case for a loaders ram, a lateral load, it doesn't matter, you could use olive oil and it would do just as good of a job provided you applied it often enough.
I'm not going to get into semantics about oil their weights and properties. I'm very well versed in lubricants... motor, static, hydraulic... their properties regarding temp, viscosities, shear strength applications to surfaces , flashpoints etc.... been involved in many a test over my career evaluating different oils for applications in aircraft piston and turbine engines. I was a lead technician for field evaluation of Mobile 1 AV, for turbocharged piston engines we proved it was crap caused nothing but problems in TIO540 Lycoming engines and they pulled it. Worked on evaluation for Exxon 2380 as well now BP Turbo Oil 2380.

Lateral load, provided you wipe away the dirt and apply it often enough, you will have no issues...even with as I said olive oil, caster oil, WD-40, Mil-H-5606, Mobile 1, Tri-flow, Gun Butter, BE Slide glide... Whatever, it this case it don't matter. People get hung up on the weight of a oil as being a visible assurance that it is better cause they can see it. Viscosity has nothing to do with surface tension, you could have something thick and have relatively no surface tension adhesion. The important thing is there is a layer of lubricant between the ram wall and the frame bore, and my stickler is that it is fresh and clean. Always clean the ram before you relube. There are no shear (pressure) forces in this particular application with counteracting temperatures so the reference to weight means nothing.
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-20-2010 at 20:54..
Old 10-20-2010, 21:00   #17
Colorado4Wheel

Thicker will stick around, Thinner will run off. They both will work but you will have to re-apply the thinner more often. I have used Rem Oil, WD, and 30w. 30w sticks around better. Right or Wrong?
Old 10-20-2010, 21:16   #18
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Thicker will stick around, Thinner will run off. They both will work but you will have to re-apply the thinner more often. I have used Rem Oil, WD, and 30w. 30w sticks around better. Right or Wrong?

Loaded question... Your right in the sense that your deduction by using 30w that visably seeing the coating is better and you need to relube less often.
From previous experience my preference is to clean/add more often and have a thin clean layer rather than a thick visable dirty one. Oh and thinner running off is not a correct statement. If you add too much of a thinner oil it will appear to completely run off, but there is still a layer there.
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-20-2010 at 21:18..
Old 10-20-2010, 21:20   #19
hoffy

Been using Break Free sparingly since it came out, before that, some light machine oil I had left over from the factory I worked at the mechanic gave me for helping him when I was on hour work(was a pieceworker). It was pretty good stuff, little or no fling and did not attract dust as much as one would think(I worked at a boot factory out of high school, we called it the leather mine). My mid '70s vintage rockchucker has probably seen a million rounds or close, and is still tight, and keeps OAL steady, my LNLAP,a display bought new, on the other hand can't keep OAL variation below 15 thousandths. It has grease fittings, which I questioned when talking to a Hornady tech, and he said people wanted them, oil is fine, which is good, because I tried to pump light bicycle grease in and all the zerks came out. I finally gave up and pulled it off the bench,(it broke the toggle, a handle, replaced free, am going to see what Hornady will, or can do. It is a low 3 digit numbered machine, avoid them like the plague.
I think as long as something is used.... That aircraft stuff looks good, might try it on my motorcycles, which see year round use. I think too if the body is aluminum, lube more often.
Old 10-20-2010, 21:41   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Loaded question... Your right in the sense that your deduction by using 30w that visably seeing the coating is better and you need to relube less often.
From previous experience my preference is to clean/add more often and have a thin clean layer rather than a thick visable dirty one. Oh and thinner running off is not a correct statement. If you add too much of a thinner oil it will appear to completely run off, but there is still a layer there.

The thicker oil clings better, is more visable and lubricates fine. You could clean the ram just as often using it as the thinner oils or any other setup you choose. Rem is thinner. It does disappear faster. Motor oil will seem to hang around forever almost. It's nice to not wonder if the thin is actually there or not. I never said it completly runs off. But when it's dry it's not lubing any longer. Eventually it will dry out before the thicker oils. I am sure that is why they recommend it.