SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2010, 23:16   #1
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Which SPP for .380 Auto?

Which primer manufacturer makes the softest small pistol primers, by softest I mean easiest to ignite. I'm having issues with some .380 Auto that I loaded a while back, can't remember what primers I used (could be Wolf, CCI, Magtech) but 2 out of every six are failing to ignite the first time. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries through the P3AT to get them to fire off, they aren't high either… which is weird.
I want to load my next 500 rounds with the easiest igniting primers I can find. On the bright side this load is such a great performer for a pocket gun. This was the 40 rounds I tried out today, 8 yards strong hand only with 2 flyers off the see n shoot.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 03-11-2011 at 22:42..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 23:23   #2
2wheelDuke

What are the specifics on that load? I started casting the Lee RN for the .380, and just worked up a starting load of 2.7gr of bullseye behind it.

I'm using CCI primers for now, but haven't tried them in the Keltec yet.
2wheelDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 23:31   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
What are the specifics on that load? I started casting the Lee RN for the .380, and just worked up a starting load of 2.7gr of bullseye behind it.

I'm using CCI primers for now, but haven't tried them in the Keltec yet.
100g Berrys RN with 3.2g HP38 at 0.980 OAL... this is Freakshows commercial load recipe. I've shot a few hundred of these already with CCI SPP's they are great, but the last couple of hundred I loaded must've grabbed the wrong primers I want to just make sure the next batch has the easiest igniting ones I can find.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-21-2010 at 23:33..
Old 10-21-2010, 23:53   #4
sicbstrd

Im pretty sure its Federal. they seem to be the softest ones ive used
sicbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20   #5
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

BG:

I loaded quit a few .380's for my Walther PP and LCP over the summer, prior to getting any Wolf primers.

Loaded 'em all with a mixture of CCI, Federal and Winchesters without a problem... really didn't notice a difference at all.

Been using HP-38, a little lighter than Freak's load, and can't complain about the performance.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.

Last edited by GioaJack; 10-22-2010 at 10:20..
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44   #6
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Which primer manufacturer makes the softest small pistol primers, by softest I mean easiest to ignite. I'm having issues with some .380 Auto that I loaded a while back, can't remember what primers I used (could be Wolf, CCI, Magtech) but 2 out of every six are failing to ignite the first time. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries through the P3AT to get them to fire off, they aren't high either… which is weird.
I want to load my next 500 rounds with the easiest igniting primers I can find. On the bright side this load is such a great performer for a pocket gun. This was the 40 rounds I tried out today, 8 yards strong hand only with 2 flyers off the see n shoot.
Federal, hands down. My guess is you grabbed the Wolf...good enough primers overall but they do require more of a whack to set off than other primers.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05   #7
BigDog[RE]
NRA Member

Fedral MATCH primers have the softest cup. I use them for my old PPC gun that has the lightest DA trigger pull I have ever seen.
BigDog[RE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:15   #8
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
Federal, hands down. My guess is you grabbed the Wolf...good enough primers overall but they do require more of a whack to set off than other primers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog[RE] View Post
Fedral MATCH primers have the softest cup. I use them for my old PPC gun that has the lightest DA trigger pull I have ever seen.
Federal is what I suspected would be the concensus... shame I traded a couple of thousand for some CCI's to a fellow IDPA club member that shoots revolver last summer... didn't realize I would have these issues. I know one of the local gunshop.reloading supply places here has them though so I'll pick up a brick. Thanks all.
&