Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:31   #1
Colorado4Wheel

X-Die and Lee Trimmer

Who has used the X-die and also the Lee trimmer for .223? Lee trimmer will not adjust and the X-die needs a specific "trim to lenght". Is that a issue?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48   #2
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

I use the LEE .223 trimmer, works good. Its not adjustable, but i think you could grind the tip down a tad to get it where you want.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 13:00   #3
Colorado4Wheel

I figure I could make it trim shorter easy enough. What length does yours trim .223 too?
Old 10-26-2010, 15:13   #4
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

1.755, but it can vary on the amount of pressure you put into it. Are the X dies that picky because i want to get one.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 16:25   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

This isn't going to end well.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 17:14   #6
Colorado4Wheel

I have no idea if the X dies are that picky. My lee trimmer works OK in 9mm. I just have a lockstud and cutter. I did a bunch by hand in 9mm before I knew better. It's slow. With the x-die you only do it once.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 10-26-2010 at 17:15..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 17:26   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

From the RCBS instructions, the die isn't picky, but C4W is. I read the instructions and it didn't specify any particular length, just that the die not be adjusted after everything is set up, for the life of the cases.

The cases will actually grow into the die for the first couple of loadings and then stop. So the die will ultimately determine the case length.

Old 10-26-2010, 17:50   #8
OkieGunNut

Several thousands of 308 win X-die rounds down range and I think it's the only way to go. I did chamfer and deburr after each sizing as the case mouth impinges on the decap rod/mandrel. I think the instructions say to trim .020" below normal length. For the 308 that would be 2.015"-.020" = 2.005". However I trimmed to 1.985".
OkieGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:04   #9
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I have no idea if the X dies are that picky. My lee trimmer works OK in 9mm. I just have a lockstud and cutter. I did a bunch by hand in 9mm before I knew better. It's slow. With the x-die you only do it once.

I'm surprised to see that you trim handgun brass. Being a guy that measures everything - have you ever found a 9mm case that was too long? I'm not saying the trimmer wouldn't take a little off, (because they are not fixed at max length) but I'm talking over max length.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:12   #10
sig2009

I have the RCBS X Die. The instructions say and I called RCBS to double check this. The max oal of the 223 case is 1.760. They have to be trimmed .020 in. That means they have to be trimmed to 1.740 inch AFTER they are sized not before! Then they are fully inserted in the die again. Then you turn the center black collet down on the case neck till you hit hard resistance. You lock it there. You load the rounds and shoot them. Now when you reload them the die is set up for the reload.
Old 10-26-2010, 18:17   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Don View Post
I'm surprised to see that you trim handgun brass. Being a guy that measures everything - have you ever found a 9mm case that was too long? I'm not saying the trimmer wouldn't take a little off, (because they are not fixed at max length) but I'm talking over max length.
Like I said I did the trimming before I knew better.

About 1/3 of them got nothing, 1/3 got a little off, the last batch got enough to take off a reasonable amount.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 10-26-2010 at 18:21..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:22   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
I have the RCBS X Die. The instructions say and I called RCBS to double check this. The max oal of the 223 case is 1.760. They have to be trimmed .020 in. That means they have to be trimmed to 1.740 inch AFTER they are sized not before! Then they are fully inserted in the die again. Then you turn the center black collet down on the case neck till you hit hard resistance. You lock it there. You load the rounds and shoot them. Now when you reload them the die is set up for the reload.
It sounds like the Lee trims to MAX length. Not sure if it's a good choice for a X-die then unless you mod it to trim shorter.
Old 10-26-2010, 19:01   #13
n2extrm

Steve I bought the Hornady trimmer for around $60 with their shell holder. I used it for tons of 308 brass and it was great. Fully adjustable, terrific cut and speed was good. I think it even came with an adapter for a cordless screwdriver 1/4 square drive. You can bolt it down or clamp it to the bench.

I also bought the Redding one, the more expensive like $175 trimmer. The cheaper Hornady blows it away for speed, ease and cut quality.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=315831
Old 10-26-2010, 19:14   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-01-2010, 20:49   #15
joeyshmoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
So do you need to have a different die to resize and then re trim to 1.740 then use the x die?
joeyshmoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:42   #16
sdelam

The X-Die comes by itself so you need a seperate set of dies anyway. I use it for .223 and it works alright. The only problem I have is that my brass gets mixed with other brass at the range so I have to chheck it all again to sort it, if I miss one the x-die will buckle the shoulder just a tad and cause issues.

If you are shooting a bolt gun, or are able to keep your brass together ir works well. I think I'm going to buy a Giraud trimmer and be done with it though.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm
Old 11-02-2010, 08:26   #17
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Steve, just get all your 223 brass sized and put it in a bucket. I will drop off my Giraud and you can trim to your hearts content.

If you are using this brass in an AR, get the Dillon Carbide die and be done with it.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42   #18
sig2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyshmoey View Post
So do you need to have a different die to resize and then re trim to 1.740 then use the x die?

No. You don't need a separate die. After all your brass is deprimed, resized and trimmed you put a finished trimed and resized die back into the die. You then turn the black center rod down till it meets hard resistance at the case mouth and when you resize and deprime the next time the die will prevent the neck from expanding past that point. If you have a problem setting it up just call RCBS and talk to one of the techs and he will explain it to you.
Old 11-02-2010, 13:42   #19
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
If you are shooting a bolt gun, or are able to keep your brass together ir works well. I think I'm going to buy a Giraud trimmer and be done with it though.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm
If you're using a bolt gun, I highly recommend the Lee collet die. Trim, don't trim, makes no difference. It neck sizes only and even saves the minor trouble of lubing.

Old 11-02-2010, 16:52   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer View Post
Steve, just get all your 223 brass sized and put it in a bucket. I will drop off my Giraud and you can trim to your hearts content.

If you are using this brass in an AR, get the Dillon Carbide die and be done with it.
This is for my brother in law so it's his responsibility to do it. I am just educating myself so I can talk to him about it.