Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2010, 17:32   #1
Melissa5

Ameriglo Ghost Ring Night Sights vs. XS Big Dots

Has anyone tried them? If so, what do you thing about them? Are they too big for CC? Would the XS Big Dots be a better choice?

Sights, Optics and LasersSights, Optics and LasersSights, Optics and Lasers
John 3:16

Last edited by Melissa5; 10-26-2010 at 17:39..
Melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 17:46   #2
TheRogue

I have the AmeriGlo Ghost Ring Sights on my Gen2 G23. - I like 'em.
No problem carrying IWB.

I can't comment to the XS Big Dots, because I have never tried them.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:43   #3
samuse

I've used both on Glocks. IMO, they repesent the two worst sighting systems for handguns.

I shoot much better with notch and post sights. Plain black rear, some kind of bead on the front.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 20:54   #4
VOLGRAD

I have shot both. I used to have XS on a couple of pistols. I really didn't feel either gave me much precision but both were fast on target. A compromise is the Ameriglo U-Rap with ProGlo front sight in orange. Not sure that setup is listed on the sight yet as they just got the taller ProGlo required for that rear in stock. Call to order. I just sold a set in the Classifieds that I bought to try out. They were about the same as the others you listed .... fast but not as precise unless you really focused. I'm sticking with traditional post and notch.
Old 10-27-2010, 21:09   #5
samuse

Rapid front sight aquisition is great, but it has to be in relevance to the rear sight to to effective. From what I've seen, Big Dots and rings make people shoot sloppy and fast. What decent shooter with training and practice really needs sights at 7 yards and in?

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01   #6
Melissa5

Thanks for the info, guys. I thought those sights would help with shooting high or low, but maybe I just need a lot more practice.
John 3:16
Melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 14:15   #7
albinlee

The ghost ring seems like a worthy sighting system on shotgun, simply because of the greater distance between the sights and the increased spread pattern. I just don't see them being worthwhile on a pistol platform. The reason I would never buy either of those sight systems is the lack of precision and obstruction of sight picture. For me, the ideal combat sight is a traditional notch and post. That is why I am an avid user of Trijicon brand night sights. You cant go wrong with either Glock Night sights or Meprolights, but what Trijicon has over those two is the ratio of front sight width to rear sight notch, which is more precise for target shooting. This to me is an advantage, because the Trijicons still have fast acquisition and a great sight picture. They just do more in terms of precision.
- Quark 123 single cell
- Luminox Colormark 3051
albinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 14:59   #8
G19aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa5 View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I thought those sights would help with shooting high or low, but maybe I just need a lot more practice.
Yeah, just practice a bit more until you figure out what you're doing wrong. Could be your trigger finger, could be the gun isn't sighted in properly.

There's a reason the post-notch pattern of sights are still the best available for handguns (accuracy wise).

The aperture rear is great as a combat sight on a rifle or shotgun because the stock is fixed to your shoulder and you have a cheek weld on the stock.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 20:57   #9
Doc Kevlar

I recently tried a new sight combo that works very well for me.

On my G-19 I have a XS Big Dot front and an Ameriglo i - dot rear. You drop the golf ball in the slot and shoot. It is quick and for me much more accurate than using the XS rear.
Doc Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 17:58   #10
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa5 View Post
Has anyone tried them? If so, what do you thing about them? Are they too big for CC? Would the XS Big Dots be a better choice?

Sights, Optics and LasersSights, Optics and LasersSights, Optics and Lasers
Had the XS Big Dot on a Glock 20 for a while. They work great in poor lighting conditions. On the Ghost ring on Glock 21 I replaced them with the URAP sight. Need to go out shooting more with the URAP, but it seems to work good. The Ghost Ring covered too much of the target. Finally switched to J Point 8 Moa Red Dot.
Old 11-04-2010, 18:50   #11
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

In case you are considering using the gun in GSSF, just remember that those Ghost Ring sights will automatically put you in the Unlimited class. Just saying....
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle

Last edited by Njanear; 11-04-2010 at 18:52.. Reason: Meant to say Ghost Rings in the sentence
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote