SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2010, 17:57   #1
rd21
Rationalist

Problem w/ MTAC c-clips?

Just got a new MTAC for my glock 19, and I like it pretty well, but I'm having one issue I wonder if anyone else has experienced.

I went with the 1.5 inch c-clips from the maker, and I'm having a hard time getting them to stay on the belt, especially when standing after sitting.

I'm using a quality 1.5 inch gun belt (Aker B-21), but when I measure the MTAC clip, I notice that it's actually about 1/8-1/4 inch more than 1.5. It seems like a small difference, but it's just enough to cause my belt to wriggle-free.

I guess I always have the option of going to a standard clip, but one of the major selling points of the holster for me was tuckability, and a big part of that is the more discrete c-clip.

Anyone else having this problem?
"People say, 'Oh it’s dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace.' Well I say, it’s better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose." -- Dwight Schrute
rd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 20:46   #2
Doc8404
Master Chief

no replies? ever figure this out? I have a Tommy Theis and HATE the metal clips that tear up my belts.
Old 04-26-2011, 20:50   #3
r3dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8404 View Post
no replies? ever figure this out? I have a Tommy Theis and HATE the metal clips that tear up my belts.
I think any IWB holster with metal clips is going to tear up a leather belt if care isn't used. I know mine did...which is why I switched to a Wilderness Tactical belt.

By the way, how's that Gen4 with the 03 spring working for you? I just picked one up and it has the 03 spring.

Last edited by r3dot; 04-26-2011 at 20:50..
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 20:52   #4
Captains1911

I have an Aker B-21 belt and noticed that it actually measures closer to
1 3/8", that may or may not be the problem, just pointing it out.
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 20:56   #5
Doc8404
Master Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dot View Post
I think any IWB holster with metal clips is going to tear up a leather belt if care isn't used. I know mine did...which is why I switched to a Wilderness Tactical belt.

By the way, how's that Gen4 with the 03 spring working for you? I just picked one up and it has the 03 spring.
Re 03 spring: at first.....!@#!%$&# Now, no problems at all. I have a few rants on here about it.

I just bought the CTAC standard clips....frigging $21.50 with shipping! hope they work. I love my Tommy Theis but those metal clips will slice a finger off....got the 1.5" and the way they appear, they should work with the 1" belt (sometimes wear with dress/dressier belts).
Old 08-04-2011, 22:23   #6
Doc8404
Master Chief

i just found out that Mr. Theis now sells the Kydex clips, not just metal! Great, because I think his holsters are great, just didn't like the metal clips
http://theisholsters.com/products.php
Old 08-04-2011, 23:29   #7
CodyBoy

Sorry no haven't used the J or C clips.

Just the plain old standard clip.

Works fine for me. If I have to tuck I just don't tuck so tight.

And besides, who except a person that is a gun person would know what those clips are for anyhow?

Old 08-04-2011, 23:37   #8
CodyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8404 View Post
i just found out that Mr. Theis now sells the Kydex clips, not just metal! Great, because I think his holsters are great, just didn't like the metal clips
http://theisholsters.com/products.php
Those kydex clips look like the ones Comptac used to use that would break after 6 months or so. Kydex clips won't hold up to the constant bending whilst putting on and taking off a holster.

Comptacs clips are some sort of nylon special plastic gooma ju.

Maybe like the clips on Nite ize products. Have had a phone pouch for 3 years and never a problem with a clip breaking or stretching out. Naw just the velcro gives up on the flap.
Old 08-04-2011, 23:39   #9
Seraph

The worst thing about clips is... they're clips. They're a compromise. We all make compromises, which mean that we give up something, to get something else. You might try the "V Clips" with a Velcro lined belt. I prefer belt loops -

Carry Issues
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13   #10
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd21 View Post
Anyone else having this problem?
No. I've got a Beltman gun belt and the M-Tac for my G19. I wear it at 4 O'clock. My only problem was getting the holster tension loose enough to draw and tight enough to be secure. But no problems on the clips working off the belt.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 14:12   #11
cowboy1964

I have the C-clips. No issues at all with a Wilderness Instructor belt. Very tight fit. So tight in fact that it's pretty much impossible to get the clips on or off the belt except by threading it through the clips. I prefer the J clips for quicker on/off.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:32   #12
up1911fan

I've only used the standard clips, but I too prefer belt loops on my IWB holsters.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:45   #13
jack the toad.

Cant help with any suggestions but I have the 1.5 C clips on current mtac and also had them on ctac. no probs with either.
even though drawing was better with ctac, I sold it and went with mtac due to comfort.
I've used different brand/quality of belts from kydex lined looper to web to cheap walmart with no complaints.
jack the toad. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:59   #14
medusaoblongata
Crazy

I use C clips with a 1.5" 5.11 belt and they've never come off.
medusaoblongata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:18   #15
TurboRocket

I've used CT's c-clips before. At the time, I was also trying v-clips, so I already had velcro on the belt. The c-clips did slip off the belt a few times, so I put a piece of velcro inside the C, while using the same gun belt with velcro. It helped. Still not a big fan of c-clips though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:42   #16
nelsone
rank amateur

Send a message via Skype™ to nelsone
I've been using the same standard, old-style clips on my MTAC almost daily for more than three years, and yes, they're finally starting to slip off the belt in rare occasions when I draw. It has only happened with one particular belt that has a convex outer surface, and it never slipped off this belt before. But it scared me when it happened, so I'll be switching to my spare, new-style clips soon.
nelsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:27   #17
Mohawk Grenade

I use C clips on a tactical tailor riggers belt with no issues.
Mohawk Grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:15   #18
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

I'm using C-clips with a 5.11 Trainer belt and I've never had a slip. They work great for me.
codecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:00   #19
blinkin357

Mtac

I bought two MTAC holsters with standard clips and later bought a 1.5" velcro lined gunbelt.

The standard clips don't fit over the thick belt so I bought two sets of velcro clips. One clip came with the velcro detached causing the holster/gun to fall loose unexpectedly. I asked for a replacement velcro clip and they insisted that I mail back the defective clip. I never did that so they ignored my problem. So I now use one of the two holsters with velcro and they never pull off from the belt.

My most serious issue is that the screws attaching the clips have come loose, causing the gun to flip upside down and fall to the floor for everyone to see.
“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.” - Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]
blinkin357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 13:43   #20
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
The worst thing about clips is... they're clips. They're a compromise. We all make compromises, which mean that we give up something, to get something else. You might try the "V Clips" with a Velcro lined belt. I prefer belt loops -

Carry Issues
I don't compromise...... I load my ammo backwards and carry a HK!
Spiffums is offline   Reply With Quote