SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2010, 19:48   #1
mlyon55

2 questions

Mas,

First off this is an honor being able to ask for your opinion, and greatly appreciate your responses.

I have 2 questions for you. I searched through the thread to see if the questions have been asked but never ran across anything.

1. I am an avid hunter, so I have kept my HD shotguns loaded with leftover BBB, 3, or 4 shot. In the event of having to use one in an invasion. Would using a hunting load rather than a self defense load cause a problem for my defense in court?

2. I was wanting to buy a short barrel shotgun. Of course doing the proper paperwork and approval beforehand. Would this type of gun cause more problems for me in court rather than the normal 18" barrel?

Thank You
Matt
mlyon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Hi Matt,

Responding in order:

1. I can't see where it would cause a problem in civil or criminal court, but just on the tactical/practical side of things, I think you'd be better served with buckshot.

2. Google the work of Dr. Glenn Meyer, who posts here at GlockTalk. His research on jury dynamics indicate that what has been demonized in the eyes of the public (and therefore, of the jury pool) as "assault weapons" are likely to result in prejudice against the defendant. I've seen that sort of thing in actual court myself. Since even among us gun people we find folks who don't realize Class III weapons are perfectly legal in many jurisdictions, you can expect a politically-motivated prosecutor or a greedy plaintiff's lawyer trying to turn a clean shooting into a wrongful act, to harp on the "forbidden sawed off shotgun, weapon of the thug" BS.

I personally think a person who's been checked out by the US Government and authorized to own "machine guns" and "sawed off shotguns" is an absolute card-carrying good guy and should be treated as such. Unfortunately, certain lawyers don't think so, and they have a jury pool that is very vulnerable to BS arguments. For those reasons, I'd personally be inclined to stay with something in the 18" range...which will also allow a longer magazine tube, and actually give you more shell capacity.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I don't like it any better than you, but it's a reality we both have to deal with.

Best wishes,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:44   #3
mlyon55

So you do not see any problem with hunting loads versus self defense ammo? Also what buckshot do you favor?

Thanks Again
Matt

Last edited by mlyon55; 10-28-2010 at 09:52..
mlyon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:10   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I do see problems with bird versus buck, but as noted, from a tactical more than legal standpoint. I'll go with those who feel birdshot is, well, for the birds.

In a 12 gauge, I'm partial to the Express load of #1 buckshot. The late Ray Chapman was, to my knowledge, the first to notice that these .30 caliber pellets most efficiently utilize the geometry inside a 12 gauge shell, minimizing air space and giving you about a hundred grains more lead in the air per pull of the trigger. Southern cops were the first to notice it gave a denser pattern with its 16 pellets than double-ought, and optimum penetration on bipedal targets: deeper than the sometimes-inadequate smaller pellets of #4 buck, but seldom experiencing the frequent overpenetration seen with the larger 00 buck.

In a 16 gauge, I'd go with #1 again: standard load, if memory serves, is 12 pellets.

In a 20 gauge, the 20-pellet load of #3 buck is pretty much the only game in town.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote