Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:20   #1
EL COLONEL

Barnes TSX

Wanting to know if the Barnes ammo with the TSX tip in 223 is enough for hogs ? Thankx
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38   #2
CC Glock

I have a buddy that uses it, it does "OK" for him. He has had one boar drop more or less right in his tracks and about a week latter shot another and it didnt even phase it. I figure waiting for the perfect shot is more important. Thats just my 2 cents though. Good luck
Old 10-28-2010, 11:53   #3
357glocker

Get the November issue of field and stream. It has an article about hunting with the .22 centerfires.

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 16:44   #4
K.Kiser

I will say that after 25 years of My Dad and Brother handloading for quite a few avid shooters and hunters, the Barnes X family bullets have given us the cleanest kills of any thing we've ever used... If there are any weak spots in Your combo it will be the caliber, but the bullet is everything it can be in terms of a show stopper... If the situation presents itself, shoot'em in the neck but that sure result that goes with most any hunting bullet... Unless it's a real big hog though, I'd still say a good lung shot will put'em down without them going too far...

Just for reference, the smallest round that we've used these bullet in were 90 grain .243 Win on deer and hogs...

Last edited by K.Kiser; 10-28-2010 at 16:46..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 17:06   #5
EL COLONEL

Thanx everyone .
Old 10-28-2010, 19:42   #6
K.Kiser

This a little food for thought, but You may already know this stuff so forgive Me if You do... Bullet options for a .223 are very poor from a sectional density standpoint (penetration) and a Ballistic coefficient standpoint (retained energy downrange)... The 50 grain barnes has a S.D. of .142 and a B.C of about .197, and these number are quite unimpressive from a hunting standpoint... Although a personal opinion, I like the S.D to be at least no less than .240 and S.D. to be around .350 or more for such game as deer and hogs... For comparison to a common round for such game a 130 grain Barnes .270 bullet has a S.D. of .242 and a B.C of .431... Same ol' thing, but shot placement and range distance is critical a swith any situation... Good luck..

Last edited by K.Kiser; 10-28-2010 at 19:42..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:27   #7
noway

Great bullets but quite a few $$s and just how much more better is it for the cost. I'm happy for now with an classic metal jacket and lead core bullets. Unless I was hunting a hard to kill animal, than maybe a all copper bullet would be a pick of mine, but I haven't had that problem in the past.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote