Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2010, 20:57   #1
GlockUniverse

Reloading Costs and New Ammunition

Has anyone else noticed that your re-loading costs for 9mm are going up for individual bullets, powder, and primers?

While the cost of regular Ammunition (Remington, Winchester, and Federal) are going down in price.

Cost of Reloading 500 = $126.00
Cost of Buying 500 = Remington UMC (50 Pack) $150.00
Winchester $135.00 Sellier & Bellot $140.00 Remington UMC (Bulk) $120.00

Is anyone else out there seeing a drop in the practicality of the recreational re-loader for range and general use? I used to see a 40.00 - 60.00 savings per 500. Now it is 25 - 30 Savings.
Old 10-30-2010, 21:06   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Dude that sucks. Glad I pay $35 per 1K for my 9mm stuff.
Old 10-30-2010, 21:09   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

One word solution... CAST.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 21:13   #4
Colorado4Wheel

+ ING

and

Free Lead

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 10-30-2010 at 21:13..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 21:43   #5
XDRoX

I don't even cast and I load 500 rounds for around $60. I'm not sure how you're figuring $126 per 500. My wife has better shopping skills than that.

Last edited by XDRoX; 10-30-2010 at 21:48..
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 21:45   #6
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUniverse View Post
Has anyone else noticed that your re-loading costs for 9mm are going up for individual bullets, powder, and primers?

Cost of Reloading 500 = $126.00
Cost of Buying 500 = Remington UMC (50 Pack) $150.00
Winchester $135.00 Sellier & Bellot $140.00 Remington UMC (Bulk) $120.00
I am paying $110 to 112 per K for 9MM. You are paying more than double that. PD bullets from them, primers local, tightgroup local. the price will go down when I work my way through the primers I bought at $34 a K.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 21:50   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I don't find this to be true at all... not in my area anyways.

You appear to be paying way too much IMO for your loading components at $126 for 500 rounds reloaded cost.

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago and alot of people chimed in stating thier current costs.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277843

I load 9mm FMJ at $107 a thousand, but my last purchase of Wolf primers at $18 got me to break the $100 a K mark. I could save yet another $14 a K by buying Bear Creek 9mm 125 RN moly coated lead bullets from a local distributer in our club. That would get me down to $86 a K.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 10-30-2010 at 22:05..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 21:53   #8
XDRoX

Maybe the OP doesn't like to pick up brass, so he's figuring the cost of new brass into his numbers
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 22:07   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Maybe the OP doesn't like to pick up brass, so he's figuring the cost of new brass into his numbers
I just think he doesn't take advantage of bulk buying. Even just #4 pounds of powder, 5K in primers and 2K in bullets at a time would get him double his current $126 for 500 in savings costs.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 22:07   #10
MrVvrroomm

You're paying too much for individual components.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 22:12   #11
OkieGunNut

It costs me $25.00 per five hundred 9mm rounds. I know, I know; but, that's all it costs me.

Last edited by OkieGunNut; 10-30-2010 at 22:12..
OkieGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 22:55   #12
fourrobert13
I am the law.

I'de suggest the OP find a new place to buy components. I load a K of 40 cheaper than his 500 9mm. My advice...buy it cheap and stack it deep!
Old 10-31-2010, 00:31   #13
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I just think he doesn't take advantage of bulk buying. Even just #4 pounds of powder, 5K in primers and 2K in bullets at a time would get him double his current $126 for 500 in savings costs.

This is exactly right. Buying any kind of bulk is gonna save you. Even buying 2K bullets, 5K primers & 4# of powder allows me to load 9mm for right @ $100/1K rounds. I just got primers from Graf's @ $26/1K shipped including the HM fee. So shop a bit better & you can easily beat $126/500.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:42   #14
dudel

OP should try shopping for components as much as he tries shopping at Walmart. My cost per 1000 is way lower than his number. Plus, for me it's about availability. Stock up on component, and you have ammo while the shelves are empty. Wasn't too long ago people were moaning about no ammo on the shelves. You think it won't happen again?
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

I don't think the OP has ever reloaded. I'd couldn't spend that much on components if I tried.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:14   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Exactly...

The OP is either paying WAY to much for components, or he's not buying in enough bulk to offset shipping/hazmat charges. I'm running right around 115 per k on 9mm... so there's something not right with what the OP is paying.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:24   #17
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Exactly...

The OP is either paying WAY to much for components, or he's not buying in enough bulk to offset shipping/hazmat charges. I'm running right around 115 per k on 9mm... so there's something not right with what the OP is paying.

IGF
Or, he's putting a dollar value on an hour of their time. Same old argument. If walmart is less expensive for the OP, then by all means, they should get their ammo there.

More components for the rest of us.

However, I have noticed prices coming down though. 100 rounds of Federal 9mm for $20. That puts it at $100/1000. Some interesting deals on 45ACP as well. Of course, that's just the bulk plinking stuff. I'd like to see some of the good SD stuff (Hornady, Speer, Corbon) come down. It's still at crazy prices.

Things got tight, ammo makers ramped up, supply is hitting us, prices come down. It's the way of the world. It will swing the other way eventually. Make your plans now.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:37   #18
wanderinwalker
6 of .44

Send a message via AIM to wanderinwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I don't think the OP has ever reloaded. I'd couldn't spend that much on components if I tried.
Maybe he's ordering online in small batches and paying the HazMat on that? Using new brass and Hornady XTP bullets as a comparison to plinking ammo? Factoring a whole pound of powder in the 500 price?

And I will say, my LGS's are still charging hefty primer prices, like $40/1000 for regular small pistol primers! If I hadn't just had a car repair, I would probably buy even 5k online and pay the HM, because it would still be cheaper. Luckily it's gunshow season, so I know I will be able to pick up a couple thousand primers cheaper at one of them.

But to the OP, BUY IN BULK! You'll save a bundle. And shop around. Berry's plated bullets work well in 9mm, and can be found for $70-75 per 1000 with shipping. I don't know you're location, but locally even 4-lb jugs of pistol powder can be had for $80 and will load about 5600 rounds of 9mm, costing $0.014 a round. Primers are a sticking point, but even those can be found cheaper.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:00   #19
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinwalker View Post
Maybe he's ordering online in small batches and paying the HazMat on that? Using new brass and Hornady XTP bullets as a comparison to plinking ammo? Factoring a whole pound of powder in the 500 price?

And I will say, my LGS's are still charging hefty primer prices, like $40/1000 for regular small pistol primers! If I hadn't just had a car repair, I would probably buy even 5k online and pay the HM, because it would still be cheaper. Luckily it's gunshow season, so I know I will be able to pick up a couple thousand primers cheaper at one of them.

But to the OP, BUY IN BULK! You'll save a bundle. And shop around. Berry's plated bullets work well in 9mm, and can be found for $70-75 per 1000 with shipping. I don't know you're location, but locally even 4-lb jugs of pistol powder can be had for $80 and will load about 5600 rounds of 9mm, costing $0.014 a round. Primers are a sticking point, but even those can be found cheaper.

So he's savy enough to reload and use GTalk, but it never occured to him to use places like Widener's or MidwayUSA?

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:33   #20
wanderinwalker
6 of .44

Send a message via AIM to wanderinwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
So he's savy enough to reload and use GTalk, but it never occured to him to use places like Widener's or MidwayUSA?
Maybe a misplaced decimal or a wrong integer? I think all of our replies suggest he could hit 1000 rounds for $126 (or less) reloaded. That price would compare to 500 rounds of new factory ammo.

Seriously, I spend enough time at work making corrections where people wanted 123 quantity of A and 123 of B but calculated it all on A and got 246. It looks like a mathematical error to me.