Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2010, 14:04   #1
FiremanMike
Way too busy

How clean/dirty do you find Accurate 2230?

We had rifle quals yesterday, "bring your own ammo".. I brought out my 55gr junk ammo with about 23gr of Accurate 2230 (my load data is in the basement, I'm too lazy to go look up what exactly it is, plus there's a silverfish running amok down there....)

Anyhoo, ammo ran great, but my bolt/chamber were getting very dirty. At one point a round got stuck in the chamber, when I forced it out via the charging handle (wasn't horribly stuck, but stuck enough that it took some force) I noticed quite a bit of gunk around the case neck. I have had this happen once in the past with a chambered round that had been sitting in there a few weeks after a light range session that I didn't clean after.

So I tear down my rifle today, and as expected it was absolutely filthy, with some caked on crap that is from my whopping 90 rounds shot yesterday. I scrubbed out the chamber, scrubbed all the parts off, and I'm getting ready to relube and reassemble. I'm considering using a dry lube (militec) this time instead of grease, but I'm still trying to read up on that.

Long story short, do you guys find 2230 to be exceptionally dirty as well?
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 14:07   #2
FiremanMike
Way too busy

I should mention, the stuck round occurred when I was manually clearing the rifle, I did not have any failures to extract..
Old 10-31-2010, 17:19   #3
Harley08

I have used Accurate 2230 for years.
I do not find it real dirty.
I shoot semi + full auto
I load 55gr FMJ with 25.5grs of Accurate 2230.
Make sure you rifle is cleaned after shooting.
Harley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 17:30   #4
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Yeah I definitely clean it afterwords, but my charge is much less than yours. I'm wondering if it's not just light charge induced incomplete burning..
Old 10-31-2010, 21:49   #5
tjpet

I've loaded 25.5grns. 2230 w/Winchester 55grn. SPs for more years then I care to remember. Never noticed it being particularly dirty, at least no worse then any other powder. I think you're loading too light and the case isn't expanding enough to seal off the chamber. Try bumping up your charge weight and see if that doesn't fix the problem.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24   #6
MrOldLude

If memory serves, my book lists the minimum 55gr FMJ load to be 22.5 grains of powder. I believe my best observed accuracy was with 24.5 gr in my AR, so that's all I load it at now. I don't find it to be particularly dirty.
MrOldLude is offline   Reply With Quote