SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2010, 20:51   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Police duty belt for SHTF?

First off I'm in no way suggesting anyone impersonate a cop. But you have to admit, a cop's duty belt is a pretty efficient way to carry a good amount of weapons/tools from gun, mags, light, batteries, knife/multi-tool, phone, first aid/meds, etc. Plus you can wear them over top of another belt/shirt/etc.

Anyone have a duty belt packed as part of your preps? Is it a bad/inefficient idea for any reason?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 10-31-2010 at 20:52..
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 20:55   #2
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

That's just downright silly, and even worse than a fanny pack.

At least a fanny pack is an efficient load carrying device, but it too falls way short of anything with a shoulder strap, whether it's your mom's purse or a daypack.

It would only look cool with a CCW badge on it.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 20:57   #3
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
That's just downright silly, and even worse than a fanny pack.

At least a fanny pack is an efficient load carrying device, but it too falls way short of anything with a shoulder strap, whether it's your mom's purse or a daypack.

It would only look cool with a CCW badge on it.
I wasn't talking about it for carrying supplies around, just weapons/tools. It provides quick access and seems efficient enough for LE to use it.

-Emt1581
Old 10-31-2010, 21:22   #4
Nest

I think a load bearing vest, or even the old belt and suspenders the military used to use. Not sure if they still do with the vest these days. But you can load up a war belt with enough ammo and weapons to carry far more than a police duty belt. All of the pouches they make can be used for everything. They make ammo pouches, first aid kits, and the butt packs can hold a lot of gear. You can carry 2-3 days worth of supplies and more ammo than you can shoot before getting shot yourself on one of these belts.
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 21:25   #5
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
First off I'm in no way suggesting anyone impersonate a cop. But you have to admit, a cop's duty belt is a pretty efficient way to carry a good amount of weapons/tools from gun, mags, light, batteries, knife/multi-tool, phone, first aid/meds, etc. Plus you can wear them over top of another belt/shirt/etc.

Anyone have a duty belt packed as part of your preps? Is it a bad/inefficient idea for any reason?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Wear that sucker around for a while and you will have your answer. Don't forget to wear your keepers.
Goldendog Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 21:35   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog Redux View Post
Wear that sucker around for a while and you will have your answer. Don't forget to wear your keepers.
I've seen several used in conjunction with suspenders if that's what you're talking about.

If not, please elaborate more.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 10-31-2010, 21:51   #7
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Its just a belt... I dont really get the question. Carry stuff on a belt? sure... Carry lots of stuff on a belt? probably not. Loading your waist up with 25lbs gear is not the best idea in the world if there are other options.
Old 10-31-2010, 22:16   #8
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
I've seen several used in conjunction with suspenders if that's what you're talking about.

If not, please elaborate more.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Loaded duty belts are not particularly fun to wear. I can run around and jump over stuff with relative ease. I feel like complete tard trying to do that wearing a duty belt. A load bearing vest is better for your application. I would run a pistol on the vest instead of a belt/thigh rig.

MF
Goldendog Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 22:46   #9
South Fla
©South Fla 2014

Quote:

Thanks!

-Emt1581
This reeks of Mall Ninja.
South Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 23:31   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
Its just a belt... I dont really get the question. Carry stuff on a belt? sure... Carry lots of stuff on a belt? probably not. Loading your waist up with 25lbs gear is not the best idea in the world if there are other options.
My nylon duty belt weighs about 12 pounds fully loaded with a sidearm, 2 mags, flashlight, baton, and other miscellaneous items. Would I wear it when SHTF? Probably.

But then again, I am used to it and I know where everything is and it's second nature to me. I personally prefer a LBE type vest for a setup. Try sitting for an extended period of time or manuevering in tight quarters and the shortcomings of a full duty belt will become quite apparent.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 23:42   #11
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Diversify your load,as stated, a duty belt is a pita if you havta move around a lot.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 23:50   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
My nylon duty belt weighs about 12 pounds fully loaded with a sidearm, 2 mags, flashlight, baton, and other miscellaneous items. Would I wear it when SHTF? Probably.

But then again, I am used to it and I know where everything is and it's second nature to me. I personally prefer a LBE type vest for a setup. Try sitting for an extended period of time or manuevering in tight quarters and the shortcomings of a full duty belt will become quite apparent.
When I'm at work my belt/eagle/ carries a G23/loaded 13+1
w-2 15rndmags a Asp/surefire/multi tool.I'm usta the weight and have learned how ta "move" wearing this set-up.Until I learned "how" ta move wearing it,I beat the heck outta my gear.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:42   #13
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:

Thanks!

-Emt1581
I think a load bearing vest would be a much more efficent tool for this application. All that weight just on a belt would not be a good thing for long. Ask any cop that has to wear one with just what they have. LBV not a bad idea for a prep though.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:44   #14
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Fla View Post
This reeks of Mall Ninja.
EMT is not a mall ninja, he just has a lot of ideas running around in his head all the time. Sparks a lot of good discussion here. I don't think he is talking about actually wearing the belt around all the time, but rather having something like it packed and ready for a SHTF situation (whatever that might be).
Old 11-01-2010, 07:38   #15
bdcochran

different response

I am going to give EMT the benefit of the doubt.

The newspaper reporter writes saying: who, what, when where, why and how.

Concepts: 1. carrying gear;
2. where to carry gear;
3. when to carry gear.

One size does not fit all.

You have to have an objective and situation. Police belt carry suggests that you want to have items available and not in your hand. Ok. Go back to the questions. Then you find out what everyone concludes. There isn't one answer.

If the next question is "why shouldn't I buy South African surplus 3 day pack", my response is the same.

If the third question is "why shouldn't I modernize and wear a hydration bladder rather than carry a WWII canteen on a pistol belt", my response is the same..

EMT- Suppose you asked the question about the police pistol belt when you were in school. Ask the same question when you are 65. Ask whether your wife should wear a police pistol belt too. How about any kids that may come along? Do they wear pistol belts? My kid had his own gear when he was 11 years old and this included a government .45 acp pistol. Conversely, there are a number of adults that I would never trust around me with a knife and spoon.

How about boots. Yeah, everyone wants to own the meanest, baddest army boots available. Yet, when I did the Golden Triangle in the 1970s, I deliberately wore sneakers because I estimated that I would be lifting each foot thousands of times a day in mud.

Ok. So you go out and buy the police pistol belt, police holster and surplus police gear on line. Next, go roll on the ground while wearing it. Then walk around all day with it on. Run a mile wearing it. Take out the trash. Bend over in the garden and pick the vegetables.

I am not making fun. I am asking you to think about your answer, not someone else's answer.

I have a dear friend and full time shooting instructor. He doesn't believe in upper thigh carry holsters. I am the opposite.. I carried the military pistol belt set up and don't want to do so when shtf, based solely on my experience. When I look at surplus police gear, it is generally too heavy, too bulky, and not responsive to what I want to do.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:35   #16
why

bdc nails it again. whatever flavor you like, TRY IT now and see how well it actually works.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:51   #17
quake

+1 a lot of the responses here, including bdcochran's. My duty belt would work, but wouldn't be my first choice; and that's with it already here, configured, and broken in. Besides the other comfort & convenience issues mentioned above, I can't see how one could possibly wear a pack with it.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54   #18
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

My belt is the last thing I'd be wearing unless I was already on duty. Vest with thigh rig would be my ideal setup and probably a small backpack.
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:59   #19
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

Having worn duty belts for a living before, I can say its not what you think. They're not that comfortable, and will slow you down if you have to run, or move through tight spaces. I 2nd the vest as a better option
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15   #20
RichJ

Why do they force LEO's to wear them if they are so inefficient?

I think having a flashlight, extra mag, knife, sidearm and maybe even a multitool on your belt would be a good thing to have handy.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote