SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2010, 19:55   #1
Myke_Hart
Handloader

My new RCBS bullet feeder

The wife bought me the uber expensive RCBS bullet feeder for my birthday!
I was stoked to get it hooked up but… I ran into a few problems.

First I have a broken piece on the collator (pic attached). Might have happened in shipping but the box was flawless sooo, I will call RCBS in the morning to see if they will ship me a new piece. This tiny broken piece holds the collator plate down at the top when you have heavy bullets on the bottom of the plate. I thought it was not necessary but tests I performed show that it is needed as the collator plate lifts with belt tension when there is a heavy load of bullets on it.

Second the casting on the collator plate is horrible (pic attached). There are pits and holes all throughout the plate. I will query RCBS to see if they will send me another one without shipping the whole unit back. If not I will probably live with the flaws, especially if I have to pay return shipping. All those black spots are holes in the aluminum casting. Shouldn’t affect anything but it wouldn’t take much to crack the plate with all those bubbles in the aluminum.

Third is that the super steep angle that the collator runs at 30, 40, or 45 degrees seems to be too steep for my 230 grain .451 XTP hollow points. They seem to line up and just slip on the plate. If I reduce the angle of the collator to an unsupported 25 degrees or so, things start working like clock work. This may not be an issue once I get the broken plastic piece replaced. So disregard this issue until I get my unit fixed and I can test again.

Like I said above I will call RCBS in the morning and see if I can get some pieces in the mail. If I have to ship the unit back I will just return it to MidwayUSA where it was purchased for a swap out. I will be using this thread to document my success… or failure.

I need to pick the brains of those of you that own the RCBS bullet feeder once I am up and running…(the search feature tells me that very few of you do own one)

If you have any tuning tips for the RCBS bullet feeder let me know. I can already see that I will have to fabricate a new stand for the unit as my setup will not allow the factory supplied stand to work. I guess I get to play with my tubing bender and Miller tig welder! Watch out jmorrismetal, I’m about to fabricate!

It was a bummer I didn’t get to permanently hook up and use the feeder tonight but that’s how it goes with new toys. They always let you down at first… Then you get out the cutting torch and welder and make it work how YOU think it should!

Broken!
Reloading

The PITS!
Reloading

Bullet line up and slip
Reloading

How it looks now.
Reloading

Got Guns? Does she know about it?
Myke_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 20:09   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Good wife, good wife... does she have a single sister?

Myke, if you ever get a chance to run lead bullets through it will you let us know how it goes. I understand that if you use a hard, non-sticky lube and dust the bullets with baby powder it's supposed to work fairly well.

I'll use you as a guinea pig... too much money if I can't use it for lead.

Congratulations on the feeder, hope it works out great for ya.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 21:22   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

OOOOOhhhhh…..AAAAhhhhh!!!!! Very cool
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:15   #4
Bello
America/Italia

is the rcbs for the lock and load ap?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:24   #5
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Good wife, good wife... does she have a single sister?

Myke, if you ever get a chance to run lead bullets through it will you let us know how it goes. I understand that if you use a hard, non-sticky lube and dust the bullets with baby powder it's supposed to work fairly well.

I'll use you as a guinea pig... too much money if I can't use it for lead.

Congratulations on the feeder, hope it works out great for ya.

Jack
Yep she does have 2 sisters, 1 is recently single. I know how you love x's.

Yes, I will try some cast when I get her going. Just looking at how it operates I am afraid that it would damage cast bullets. The collator has a pretty violent tumble and drop and I have a feeling it will tear them up pretty good especially at the angles it operates. When I make my stand I will probably add a few non standard angle holes to give the bullets a softer tumble or make it so I can set it at any angle.

Do you use a lubrisizer/Stick lube or tumble lube? I do NOT own a lubrisizer style sizer/luber, Just those silly lee push thru sizer dies as I use tumble lube. I DO have molds for both type boolits, so if I can figure out how to get the stick lube in the grooves without the lubrisizer I can test both.

What calibers do you want tested in lead? As I don't have plethora of molds. Worst case you can send me some boolits!

Oh I did't mention above but my version of the RCBS feeder is the pistol version not the rifle. Yes there are 3 different versions of the feeder, Pistol, Rifle 22 cal, Rifle 30 cal. And No, I don't know the differences in the models.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:29   #6
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
is the rcbs for the lock and load ap?
The RCBS bullet feeder is for any press that has a stationary die plate/head. If your dies move up and down or spin around you are out of luck.

View videos of the Feeder connected to different presses on Ultimate reloaders site.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/12/...009-at-509-pm/

Last edited by Myke_Hart; 11-03-2010 at 05:30..
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41   #7
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Cool toy !

Nice wife!

Lookin forward to ya gittin it goin !

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Bob2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Myke, when you get a chance send me a PM with your address, I'll send you an assortment of cast bullets lubed with Blue Angel, a very hard lube with a very high flow rate. Not sticky at all.

Let me know what calibers, diameters and weights so you can try some different types. We'll use straight wheel weights so you can get an idea of what the feeder does to an 'average' alloy.

Don't wait till just before Christmas 'cause I ain't standin' in line at the post office.

Jack

Old 11-03-2010, 08:58   #9
buyobuyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke_Hart View Post
...if I can figure out how to get the stick lube in the grooves without the lubrisizer I can test both.
Pan lube them. One popular lube is BAC (http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/). I've never done any pan lubing (just getting into casting myself), but I've read some lubes work for pan lubing and some don't. BAC is one I've read in a number of posts about pan lubing.
buyobuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14   #10
jmorris

Quote:
If you have any tuning tips for the RCBS bullet feeder let me know. I can already see that I will have to fabricate a new stand for the unit as my setup will not allow the factory supplied stand to work.
When I built my first collator (now case feeder) I mounted it with split set collars so the angle could be adjusted quick and easy.

Reloading
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:29   #11
Myke_Hart
Handloader

On the phone with RCBS now. They are sending me a 781201 Pistol Bullet Wheel and a 181206 Tube Retainer free of charge. If they don't have the parts in stock he said he will rip apart one of the functioning units, so I should have the parts soon. Apparently I don't have to send back the pitted bullet wheel.

I guess I will go ahead and start on my custom stand.

So far RCBS customer service is still A+.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:31   #12
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
Myke, when you get a chance send me a PM with your address, I'll send you an assortment of cast bullets lubed with Blue Angel, a very hard lube with a very high flow rate. Not sticky at all.

Let me know what calibers, diameters and weights so you can try some different types. We'll use straight wheel weights so you can get an idea of what the feeder does to an 'average' alloy.

Don't wait till just before Christmas 'cause I ain't standin' in line at the post office.

Jack
PM sent. If you send them I will give you a video of each running in the collator and post.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:36   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
PM sent. If you send them I will give you a video of each running in the collator and post.

PM received. What calibers, weights, diameters? I cast .380, 9mm, .38, .41, .44, and .45. Nothing you can really use in .40 or 10 mm. (Sorry, old school.)

Jack

Old 11-03-2010, 12:39   #14
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
When I built my first collator (now case feeder) I mounted it with split set collars so the angle could be adjusted quick and easy.
Do these collars bolt together? Its hard to tell in the photo.

Old 11-03-2010, 13:12   #15
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
PM received. What calibers, weights, diameters? I cast .380, 9mm, .38, .41, .44, and .45. Nothing you can really use in .40 or 10 mm. (Sorry, old school.)

Jack
It doesn't matter, cause I reload them all except .41. I will probably just keep them around to test for you in the future. Worse case is I remelt them.

Just send what you want tested.

Are any comming from lee molds?

Last edited by Myke_Hart; 11-03-2010 at 13:18..
Old 11-03-2010, 13:17   #16
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
It doesn't matter, cause I reload them all except .41. I will probably just keep them around to test for you in the future. Worse case is I remelt them.

Are any comming from lee molds?

Blasphemer! Lyman and Lachmiller moulds, maybe a RCBS or two. I'll get 'em out to you within the next couple of days.

I'll send 'em sized and lubed so you can see if they have any effect on the cleanliness of the bowl or feed tube.

Jack

Old 11-03-2010, 13:22   #17
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
Blasphemer! Lyman and Lachmiller moulds, maybe a RCBS or two. I'll get 'em out to you within the next couple of days.

I'll send 'em sized and lubed so you can see if they have any effect on the cleanliness of the bowl or feed tube.

Jack
Just asking cause I have quite a few lee molds. I am a cheap bastard.

I will take before and after pics and vids of the boolits and bowl. I have a feeling the colator will knock the lube out of the grooves...But we will see!

Old 11-05-2010, 16:29   #18
Myke_Hart
Handloader

No deliveries yet! As in no brown truck of fun... What's the odds that RCBS set it out Sat delivery or USPS? Oh well, It gets here when it gets here.

I did purchase the metal tubing to make the stand... But I might have come up with a better Idea and it involves very long springs...

I will let you know what I come up with soon.

Old 11-05-2010, 16:42   #19
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Your bullets went in the mail yesterday. The mail lady is starting to get suspicious, asked my why I always mail such heavy packages.

Told her they're resumes to all the women who contact me on Match.com. Not sure why she wanted to know what my screen name is.

Jack

Old 11-06-2010, 15:06   #20
Myke_Hart
Handloader

Quote:
Your bullets went in the mail yesterday. The mail lady is starting to get suspicious, asked my why I always mail such heavy packages.

Told her they're resumes to all the women who contact me on Match.com. Not sure why she wanted to know what my screen name is.

Jack
Thats Wierd!

Would this be them? That is the fastest delivery I have ever seen!

If only RCBS would follow your lead...

Looks like I got some testing to do!
Reloading