Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:27   #1
minkis18

PMC starfire

so I bought a Kel-Tec P11 last weekend and noticed immediately it did not like my Speer Gold Dot 115gr hollow points. They are a long round and the P11 has a fully supported barrel with a short, steep feed ramp. It would often lock up when manually loading and had a FTFeed in the 15 spare rounds I tested.

Note, I'm cheap and only had 40 rounds (two boxes) to test and since I wanted to have enough for 12+1 with a spare magazine, I only shot my surplus ammo. It's not much but it's better than nothing if you ask me.

I had also brought along 15 spare rounds of PMC Starfire 124gr hollow points though unsure how they would really perform out of a 3" barrel. the Starfires fed flawlessly despite my tired, hung over and malnourished (not to mention broken finger) shooting hand. They have a shorter OAL than the Gold Dots and a more rounded front. I do not have a chronograph nor was I at a range to test the favored 'milk jug test' but the fact that they actually cycled thru the gun was a major improvement to me

has anyone else tried, tested or seen these rounds? They were cheap in comparison which was also a plus (and might allow for more testing) but besides that I don't know if they will actually perform as expected or just become the worlds most expensive FMJ defense round.
minkis18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:25   #2
Natty

Tom Burczynski is the guy who designed the PMC Starfire HP round. He is the same guy who designed the Federal HST round, after he left PMC. Pictures of the Starfire when fully expanded look very similar to the HST round.

I believe the Starfire rounds are now made in Korea.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49   #3
8th SPS USAF

Pmc

I have never owned or shot the 9mm, but I shoot and carry (sometimes)

this in 45acp. I like them. No tests, just carry/shot.

8th
8th SPS USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 14:21   #4
dkf

Somewhat of a "test". Take results with a grain of salt because water is obviously different than tissue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlFl7TdY4k
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 14:32   #5
fiasconva

I had some in 9mm about 10 years ago for carry. It was 124 gr and was probably not the modern version that is out now. However, it was very accurate and fed well but was really dirty and made quite a large cloud of smoke when you fired it.