Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2010, 15:31   #1
12dmax

200grWFN Hardcast, Impressive!

Packed in front of 9+ gr's of 800X these dogs really hit the steel hard! No doubt I have found my town&country load!
12dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 17:27   #2
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dmax View Post
Packed in front of 9+ gr's of 800X these dogs really hit the steel hard! No doubt I have found my town&country load!
9 grains of 800x behind a 200 grain mass is gonna move out, no doubt.
Old 11-03-2010, 19:14   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:

Welcome to the world of Hard Cast bullets ! haha. The more stuff you shoot them in, the more you won't hardly settle for anything else .

I would suggest you 'curb' your excitment on the 'in town' use of those for carry ! I use HC in everything here on the ranch, but that is a heck of a load in the 10 mm for "in town amigo," unless your expecting to take out three guys at once behind a cafe table ! haha !

I mostly use big bore Ruger hog legs, but been been loading and shooting the 10mm for a looooong time now. Fun gun ! I also like 10.5 gr B.D with my Cast Performance 200gr WFNGC. Try that as well when ya can. Plus got one or two other powders I like there as well. The 9.0 grs of 800X is a good one ya got there.

Good going man.

Have fun.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-03-2010 at 19:19..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 19:41   #4
12dmax

Quote:
unless your expecting to take out three guys at once behind a cafe table ! haha !
Would that be a 3FOR haha!

Quote:
I also like 10.5 gr B.D with my Cast Performance 200gr WFNGC. Try that as well when ya can. Plus got one or two other powders I like there as well. The 9.0 grs of 800X is a good one ya got there.
I do play with blue dot also and like it but my brass really gets dimpled bad by the ejector, much more than the 800x loads

Quote:
9 grains of 800x behind a 200 grain mass is gonna move out, no doubt.
Welp, you definetly know about that, read through your quest thread Nice work hoss!
Old 11-03-2010, 19:47   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Would that be a 3FOR haha!

I do play with blue dot also and like it but my brass really gets dimpled bad by the ejector, much more than the 800x loads:headscratch:

Welp, you definetly know about that, read through your quest thread Nice work hoss!

I guarantee it amigo with those HC bullets ! haha.

Hummmm. Have not had that trouble at all. maybe your brass type or extractor.

Good shooting
Stay safe

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-03-2010 at 19:48..
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18   #6
12dmax

Quote:
maybe your brass type or extractor.
starline silver & gold, yeah I dont know, it seems to iron itself out after going through the dies though.

Blue dot gets er done for sure. Gunna dig out some STEEL next and cook somin up

ADIOS

shooteminthemiddle!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29   #7
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
starline silver & gold, yeah I dont know, it seems to iron itself out after going through the dies though.

ADIOS

shooteminthemiddle!

I try and use starline 'only', but have over the years got to where I use about anything. If I am loading hot (say for hunting) I go ahead with the SL brass, but for playin around, I just use whatever is in the 'mixed bag " under the bench and inspect them first.

Yep the 10.5 BD does a real good job, your right !

Have fun
good shooting

CM

Old 11-04-2010, 10:33   #8
12dmax

Quote:
for playin around, I just use whatever is in the 'mixed bag " under the bench and inspect them first.

Never been a plinker, thought about it at times for cost reasons, just somem bout a fist full of fun keeps me loadin em hot. The 10 is new to me and sure is alot more exciting than the old faithful THREE FIVE SEVEN hog leg!

Picked up 150lbs of wheel weights, going to (in the near future) try my hand at casting these hardcast for the 10.
Old 11-04-2010, 13:06   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Never been a plinker, thought about it at times for cost reasons, just somem bout a fist full of fun keeps me loadin em hot. The 10 is new to me and sure is alot more exciting than the old faithful THREE FIVE SEVEN hog leg!

Picked up 150lbs of wheel weights, going to (in the near future) try my hand at casting these hardcast for the 10.

Cool... I tried "molding my own" about 40 years ago when I started loading for the big bores, but I just could not get into it. If you like doing it, you sure can turn out some great stuff though. One suggest amigo. Try and keep that lead to high BHN. At least 19-21. It will reduce fouling and give greater penetration on large game. I use 21 BHN (hardness) on all my hand guns that I hunt with or EDC on the ranch. No matter the caliber or gun type.

My 'plinker loads" I spoke of are 1100 fps just to mess around with, and this is because the brass has been used a good deal before. Everything else sees full power to nuclear with the SL brass.

IN the pic (below) Left to right: 45LC 335gr 21bhn HC. 44mag 275gr 21BHN HC. 10mm 200gr 21BHN HC.

Good shooting

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 05-23-2011 at 09:36..
Old 11-04-2010, 13:14   #10
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Slip this in just for grins:

These puppy's go through almost anything !
405 gr 21bhn HC 45-70. I have them loaded plenty good enough for cape buff.

Later bud

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 05-23-2011 at 09:36..
Old 11-04-2010, 17:15   #11
Meathead9

Quote:

ADIOS

shooteminthemiddle!
I hope you have better luck with STEEL than I did. I tried to work up to McNETT's data with it, but I couldn't get it to ignite consistently, or produce anywhere near the velocities he posted. Even with Mag primers and a heavy crimp. I have settled on 800X for the 200gr WFNGC. I still really like Blue Dot and Longshot, but I hit over 1400fps with 800X, and nothing else came within 100fps of those numbers. If you haven't already bought the STEEL, I wouldn't waste the money
Old 11-04-2010, 19:26   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead9 View Post
I hope you have better luck with STEEL than I did. I tried to work up to McNETT's data with it, but I couldn't get it to ignite consistently, or produce anywhere near the velocities he posted. Even with Mag primers and a heavy crimp. I have settled on 800X for the 200gr WFNGC. I still really like Blue Dot and Longshot, but I hit over 1400fps with 800X, and nothing else came within 100fps of those numbers. If you haven't already bought the STEEL, I wouldn't waste the money

If you don't mind me asking: What barrel and barrel length are you using, and what gr. weight of 800X are you using to get 1400fps out of a 200gr cast bullet ? I have done this for a loooong time, and even with a 6" barrel I have not been able to get this vel. Just curious hoss.

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-04-2010 at 19:27..
Old 11-04-2010, 19:48   #13
Meathead9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
If you don't mind me asking: What barrel and barrel length are you using, and what gr. weight of 800X are you using to get 1400fps out of a 200gr cast bullet ? I have done this for a loooong time, and even with a 6" barrel I have not been able to get this vel. Just curious hoss.

CM
Here's my "don't try this at home kids" disclaimer:
Don't try this at home kids...

It was out of my 6" LWD barrel (G20L), with a Wolff 24# spring. I was using DT 200gr WFNGC's, New Starline Brass, CCI350 Primers & 9.6gr 800X. This load averaged 1416fps. I felt a little bit safer with 9.2gr, which averaged 1370fps. I started a thread about that data a while back, I'm pretty sure you commented in it. I have since loaded some @ 8.6gr & 8.8gr to see what velocities those charges get. Hopefully I'll have time to test those rounds soon.

I also tested a bunch more ammo the same day, so I'm pretty sure the chrono wasn't off. I tested DoubleTap's factory loaded 200gr WFNGC's, RA45TP and some W231 loads out of my G30SF, and some 124gr+P Ranger T's out of my G26. DT's load averaged just over 1200fps that day.

Here's the link to my thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264271

Last edited by Meathead9; 11-04-2010 at 20:13.. Reason: added the link to my thread for reference.
Meathead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 20:19   #14
12dmax

Quote:
If you haven't already bought the STEEL, I wouldn't waste the money
Got lb's of it for the honkers. Thanks for the heads up bro I wont bother.

Quote:
These puppy's go through almost anything !
405 gr 21bhn HC 45-70. I have them loaded plenty good enough for cape buff.
Frikin King Kong! NICE
Old 11-04-2010, 20:33   #15
12dmax

Buddy threw me some freebies today, 500 180XTP's, sold his .40. You fellas got some juicee loads for these with BD&800X?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead9 View Post
Here's my "don't try this at home kids" disclaimer:
Don't try this at home kids...

It was out of my 6" LWD barrel (G20L), with a Wolff 24# spring. I was using DT 200gr WFNGC's, New Starline Brass, CCI350 Primers & 9.6gr 800X. This load averaged 1416fps. I felt a little bit safer with 9.2gr, which averaged 1370fps. I started a thread about that data a while back, I'm pretty sure you commented in it. I have since loaded some @ 8.6gr & 8.8gr to see what velocities those charges get. Hopefully I'll have time to test those rounds soon.

I also tested a bunch more ammo the same day, so I'm pretty sure the chrono wasn't off. I tested DoubleTap's factory loaded 200gr WFNGC's, RA45TP and some W231 loads out of my G30SF, and some 124gr+P Ranger T's out of my G26. DT's load averaged just over 1200fps that day.

Here's the link to my thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264271

Thanks man, I have never got that speed out of the 6" barrel and have run some very hot stuff down the pipe with different powders. Got real real close, but just did not touch the 1400fps mark (with a 200gr bullet that is) with any powder I tried. I went ahead and stuck with the 10.5grs B.D. sometimes just a touch more, and that has proven 'out of the stock length barrel' to be plenty enough for 100yd deer. That's a real decent load.

Yep, I agree, 9.0/9.2 800X is a much wiser place to settle. haha. Just wondered what in the world I was missing, that you were doing to get those vels. haha

I appreciate ya repeating it for me amigo. I forgot about the other thread and what we talked about.

Hey, stay safe
good shooting!
have fun..

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-05-2010 at 08:22..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22   #17
crsuribe
10mm Auto

I see somebody mentioned 357 mag... and it made me wonder. Which one has more recoil; .357 or 10mm? I've never shot a .357 but they always made it sound like a high-recoil caliber, which is something that people also say about the 10mm, but it's not necessarily true.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:34   #18
MSgt Dotson

felt Recoil (perceived) varies depending on the weight of the firearm, grips used, etc...; 357 Mag is pretty gentle in a 46 ounce N-frame, but much less so in a thirteen ounce J-frame....

The Glock 20's recoil is spread out over a fairly wide/thick grip, and it's recoil is likely perceived to be gentle in the Glock 20 for most folks, myself included...
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote