GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 19:16   #1
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 17,099
Wireless printing help

I have an HP 6500 at home for printing duties. The wireless feature craps out all the time. Like when my daughter connected via USB yesterday - now the wireless needs to be "reset" by partially re-installing the software on my main laptop. The house contains 5 laptops and one Mac.

I'm more than willing to go buy something better.

What are your thoughts?
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 19:45   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,419
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
I have an HP 6500 at home for printing duties. The wireless feature craps out all the time. Like when my daughter connected via USB yesterday - now the wireless needs to be "reset" by partially re-installing the software on my main laptop. The house contains 5 laptops and one Mac.

I'm more than willing to go buy something better.

What are your thoughts?
If you're happy with the printer, it's USB, AND you have a free spot on your router..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Print-Servers&

However, looking at the specs for your printer, it shows it has an ethernet port, which means you should be able to plug it directly into the router... That *should* allow any PC/Laptop on the network, to print to it.

If it doesn't, one of those in the Link should handle your problem.
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 20:44   #3
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
If you're happy with the printer, it's USB, AND you have a free spot on your router..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Print-Servers&

However, looking at the specs for your printer, it shows it has an ethernet port, which means you should be able to plug it directly into the router... That *should* allow any PC/Laptop on the network, to print to it.

If it doesn't, one of those in the Link should handle your problem.
Working on this now. Thank you!
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,419
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Working on this now. Thank you!
I just took a gander at the manual for your printer, and Network printing looks pretty easy to set up.

If you don't have it, the User Guide is here..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...oduct=3795314&


Good luck w/ it.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 11-11-2010 at 04:50..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01   #5
Linux3
Senior Member
 
Linux3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,399
How did we survive before printers had ethernet ports?

When I think of all the hours I spent getting print servers / system print buffers to work.
__________________
It it's not on fire,
It's a software problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:41   #6
srhoades
Senior Member
 
srhoades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,595
If i is setup as wireless plugging it in USB will screw it up every time, you either have it configured for network access or USB, not both.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,419
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
If i is setup as wireless plugging it in USB will screw it up every time, you either have it configured for network access or USB, not both.
That's actually a good point, if it's USB connected to the desktop, that would possibly explain the problem.

Still think the easiest way is to hook it up to the router... Should be fairly easy I would imagine.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 684
142 Members
542 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31