Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:32   #26
NHmike

Not chambered, then you might as well use it as a strilking tool. It must be chambered, you will fell more comfy with it as time goes on. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47   #27
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossEyedShooter View Post
I just grabbed a shirt from the laundry pile. I ran a corner thru the trigger and around the other side up the grip. Holstered the Glock like that into kydex holster.

Pulling the shirt out hard fired the empty weapon. Pulling with same force as a shirt that moves while walking - no trigger depression.

Any other scenario (i.e. shirt only partially thru the trigger in various positions) will not depress the trigger.

The morale of the story - don't tuck your shirt into the glock trigger, and you should be fine. I think that anyone with an IWB holster is naturally wary of clothing in the holster, so I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

As far as my love handles - not an issue - Kydex holsters that cover the trigger mean no amount of chub will have any hope of getting lodged into the trigger guard & depressing the trigger. NOTHING can depress the trigger on a weapon in kydex, unless you tuck an object into the holster with the pistol, or you pull the gun out of the holster.
I once saw a post either here or on another forum where a police officer shot himself in the leg because the drawstring from his pants or windbreaker somehow found its way into this trigger-guard upon re-holstering. It is most definitely something to look out for and do EXTRA slow.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58   #28
chukb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Point the holstered G19 downrange at a target and try to fire it without removing it from the holster.
sounds like good entertainment for the other people at the range.
Walther P22
Old 11-11-2010, 11:01   #29
hatidua

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaum View Post
Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds?
Daily.

It initially takes some getting used to (coming from a 1911 with manual safety), but you do get used to it, especially if your holster has retention adjustment.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05   #30
brisk21

well, you could always carry it empty for a few years. Then count the number of times the trigger gets pulled inside your holster while on your person. Think of it like that. Just don't leave the gun laying around. Keep it on you in your holster or locked in a safe and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11   #31
myesque

One in the tube. All day....
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15   #32
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

1. Carrying unchambered is pretty much useless, 2. if you are worried about your holster not protecting the gun from going off, then you should get a new holster.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:29   #33
teeuu

I know this is blasphemy but...

If you're really uncomfortable packing a Glock with one up the spout you might want to consider trading it in on a Ruger SR9. A nice Glock-like pistol with a manual safety.

I think that you must be completely comfortable with a gun you are going to trust your life to.

As for me, My 17 & 23 ride IWB (yep, even the 17) or OWB always with chambers loaded.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:30   #34
dkf

Possibly get another IWB holster with a hard Kydex body that surrounds the pistol? The hard Kydex will keep you from bumping the trigger accidently when holstered. Luckily Glocks are very common so you have a LOT of good holsters to choose from.

Last edited by dkf; 11-11-2010 at 11:31..
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33   #35
Cheytac

LEOs carry chambered. Is your Glock any different than yours? I always have 1 ready to head downrange...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:44   #36
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoCHL View Post
Yes. If you carry in a decent holster that covers the trigger, you will be fine. just be contious of clothing and your finger while holstering. its the same thing as carrying your DA revolver with the hammer down.

I carry my 19 and 26 ready to go, with one in the pipe. and have never thought twice about it.

eta: welcome to the forum!!
This is what I would say.
Old 11-11-2010, 13:37   #37
Zertek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoCHL View Post
Yes. If you carry in a decent holster that covers the trigger, you will be fine. just be contious of clothing and your finger while holstering. its the same thing as carrying your DA revolver with the hammer down.

I carry my 19 and 26 ready to go, with one in the pipe. and have never thought twice about it.

eta: welcome to the forum!!
and btw to GT
Old 11-11-2010, 13:42   #38
RDW
BTDT

YES! I carry a pistol - Not a Club.
Formerly Posted as "Big Dawg #383" (10/2000)
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW.
Old 11-11-2010, 14:07   #39
hackinpeat

I always carry with one in the pipe...

Do not use a soft holster, the holster is your safety, find some stiff leather.
Old 11-11-2010, 14:13   #40
bassin98

Old 11-11-2010, 15:19   #41
awq134

Send a message via ICQ to awq134 Send a message via AIM to awq134 Send a message via MSN to awq134 Send a message via Yahoo to awq134
Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
You just have to get comfortable with it. Carry without one in the pipe for a while to get used to it. Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. With any decent holster you will be fine.
this is what i did... made sure the chamber was empty with the trigger in the forward position and a full magazine. I carried it like this for 2 weeks and checked every night to see if the trigger had moved, and as i was hoping, i didnt' budge!

Old 11-11-2010, 16:05   #42
KenB22

I'll take the heat for trying to make the opposite argument. I carry in condition 3. Early on, I carried with one in the pipe since I didn't want to carry a "brick." It worked fine. As I carried more and more I changed my mind. I have to wear dress pants to work that fit and I often go to many places during a day that do not allow me to carry inside. I found myself holstering and unholstering sometimes 3-4-5 times per day. I am a criminal attorney. I have to dress for work. I go into bad neighborhoods where some people get nervous when they see guns. I meet with prosecutors who get nervous when they see people with guns. I go into office buildings (not posted) where people get nervous when they see guns. Its my reality. I have a G19 at home by the nightstand, not in a holster, that is in condition 3 because it's the only way my wife will allow it in the house. She is not comfortable any other way. I'll leave the possible argument that putting a nightstand gun in a holster or case or safe just loses precious seconds over my setup for another day.

If I carry at all, I have to carry IWB in a pair of pants that fit. My gun is covered by a shirt that must also completely cover the gun. I must tuck my shirt in. Wearing a hard covered holster made the gun print too much. Carrying in a holster that had a retention strap was just one more thing to think about when practicing drawing. I never worried about my gun going off when I sat at a desk or drove a car or anything like that. After much carrying my focus narrowed to drawing in an emergency. I can't carry OWB or with the gun exposed at all. To get at my gun, I have to first untuck my shirt. That's the reality. I found during extensive practice at an outdoor range over many sessions that I was much faster untucking and ripping the gun out of my holster and racking the slide Israeli style than I was with one in the pipe. Trying to imagine how I might feel and react in an emergency, I simply slowed down too much worrying about shooting myself with a round chambered and my shirt tucked in. That's the moment that was of concern to me when deciding which was more advantageous TO ME. With my daytime setup requirement and my nightstand setup, it made more sense TO ME to carry in condition 3. Finding I was faster when I really pushed myself drawing from a holster had the added benefit of making my training consistent for both home and outdoor scenario's.

I also try and practice situational awareness. If I'm in an area in my car that I'm not comfortable, I'll chamber a round and put my G19 in the center console. If its after work and I can wear jeans and carry OWB with a sweatshirt over it, I may chamber a round but I'd hope my training would take over and I'd still rack the slide before shooting. I haven't fired a magazine in 3 years where I didn't start the process by racking the slide unless I'm practicing shooting multiple mags in a row. I'm aware that there MAY be a circumstance where having to rack the slide is a disadvantage but FOR ME Condition 3 was the best way to go. I use snap caps and practice racking the slide using my belt or shoe in case I only have one arm free. I have tried both methods and for me, condition 3 was the way to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 16:18   #43
Melissa5

I've carried in a Stow-n-go for the past year without any mishaps. No worries.
John 3:16
Old 11-11-2010, 16:30   #44
Jim S.

I would like to say that if it makes you nervous to carry a Glock with one in the chamber then it would be silly for you to do so.
You have to be comfortable carrying a weapon. Otherwise you will stop carrying it.
Glocks are probably one of the safest guns to carry with one in the chamber.
Learn about the Glock safe action and carry it unchambered until you are confident in it.
Getting a gun with a manual safety probably won't make you feel any safer.
Glocks do not fire themselves.
people who accidently fire a Glock more than likely pulled the trigger in some way.
When you go to the range and shoot your Glock, feel how far the trigger has to travel to make it shoot.
Feel how hard you have to pull on that trigger.
Learn your gun and gain the confidence to carry it with a round in the chamber.
Until then carry it unchambered.
Just be sure you know how to rack a round in there quickly and confidently because it is an extra step that is not considered a good thing in a very bad situation.

Last edited by Jim S.; 11-11-2010 at 16:31..
Old 11-11-2010, 16:39   #45
ray glock

It is all about knowing your firearm, how to use it and self-discipline. You might call it ...Gun Control.
Old 11-11-2010, 17:34   #46
fmfdocglock

Time

For a couple of months after I got my G30 I carried without a round chambered. I was trained in the Israeli draw when I was in the service.

I gradually started carrying with one in the chamber, and now that is how I carry.

Getting a first rate holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck that completely covered the trigger and stayed in place definitely helped.

Still doesn't change the fact that you have to pay attention the trigger doesn't get caught on anything.
Old 11-11-2010, 17:49   #47
robbyg1

Maybe this will help you make a decision

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife#p/u
Old 11-11-2010, 18:18   #48
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I once saw a post either here or on another forum where a police officer shot himself in the leg because the drawstring from his pants or windbreaker somehow found its way into this trigger-guard upon re-holstering. It is most definitely something to look out for and do EXTRA slow.
I posted them on here

Last edited by SCC; 11-11-2010 at 18:37..
Old 11-11-2010, 18:22   #49
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaum View Post
I have been a revolver guy my whole life, and just switched to a Glock 19 after getting two days of excellent training and realizing I could shoot the Glock better (to say nothing of more copiously) than my old Detective Special. I have a CCW and am carrying the Glock in a Galco Stow-n-Go IWB holster. Here's my situation: Carrying the pistol with a round in the chamber freaks me out. I worry that my flesh pushing against the soft holster will somehow depress that little trigger safety and nudge the trigger back. I find myself walking around with my hips thrust foward, flinching away from the gun. Actually, I only did that for about ten minutes before retreating to a men's room, unchambering the round, and putting the gun back in its holster with a full mag but empty chamber. I could carry Israeli style, I suppose, and draw-and-rack if it comes to that, but I just saw a training video in which a woman carrying Israeli style would have been killed by a knife had the attack been real. I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.
yes you're being silly. that trigger will not go off without you putting your finger on it and pulling it. i carry a 19 in that same holster. it's not gonna go bang without you pulling the trigger. also, most of the folks i know that cc a glock, carry IWB with one in the chamber.

Last edited by powder86; 11-11-2010 at 18:29..
Old 11-11-2010, 18:31   #50
pacountryboy

The idea of no "safety" on glocks is the reason I didn't buy one first. Started with a SR9 with the manual thumb safety. Carried it one in the chamber and safe on. I bought a LCP and to ease my mind with it, I carried the SR9 without one in the chamber and and safety off. After I realized that the trigger wasn't being pulled(by clothing or anything catching it) until I pulled it, I carried my LCP, then shortly after bought my glock. Now it's always one in the chamber. Try what people have been telling you and just watch your trigger at the end of the day. Soon that feeling of uncertainty will pass.

Country

Last edited by pacountryboy; 11-11-2010 at 22:44..
Closed Thread

Tags
chambered, glock 19, israeli, iwb