Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 20:17   #61
denn1911

Yes, the Stow n Go Holster is soft sided, but it definitely shouldn't have enough play to allow movement of the trigger. Carrying with a round in the chamber is a personal choice. If you're not comfortable at the present time to carrry with a round in the chamber, don't force yourself to do so. You may want to carry your pistol inside its holster around your house and property doing your everyday movements. You'll eventually become more comfortable and confident in your carry choice and begin to carrying with a round in the chamber. Remember finger discipline and be confident. Good luck- you'll be just fine.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03   #62
motorcopm4
Μολὼν λαβέ

I Carry a chambered Glock on duty everyday, cover the trigger guard and dont worry about it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Mod
Old 11-14-2010, 06:02   #63
glockenturm

Try this.

Was given an IWB holster the other day. Kind of a semi-rigid nylon that fits the 21 and 30. About 2 seconds with it in the pants drove me nuts and I put it between my belt and pants. The thought of a loaded weapon inside my pants bothered me. It is also much better feeling and a little closer to my body and doesn't print like an OWB holster. Still have to be concious about it showing from under my garment. Even if the bottom peeks out all of my holsters fully cover the barrel so no one actually "SEES" a gun should that happen.

I carry Condition One. With the 1911 I use a holster that has a strap that fits between the hammer and slide and fully covers my ambi-thumb safeties. For the Glocks I have a holster that has a retention strap and some that don't. The one with retention is when I'm walking about in public and don't want the gun flying out should I be tackled or snatched from me.

The "strapless" is when I'm working.
Old 11-14-2010, 15:13   #64
RDW
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
I posted them on here
There is No Prize for Speed re-holstering!
Formerly Posted as "Big Dawg #383" (10/2000)
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41   #65
G22DaD

Personally, if I have doubts about doing something, I don't do it. If condition 3 is what makes you feel better, go with it. I ran mine in condition 3 for about a month. Then, I decided to go to condition 1. I decided that the safest place for my G22 was in the holster, and now, I carry in condition 1 in complete confidence.
The only time it goes back to condition 3 is when I go to bed. With a 5 year old that can come into the bedroom in the middle of the night--I figured the safest thing to do is clear the chamber and keep it under my pillow, as opposed to the night stand. He won't be able to lift my head and get to it w/o waking me up-y'know? Besides, he doesn't even give it a second look any more.

Live, Laugh, Love...Center Mass!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42   #66
ChipM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB22 View Post
I'll take the heat for trying to make the opposite argument. I carry in condition 3. Early on, I carried with one in the pipe since I didn't want to carry a "brick." It worked fine. As I carried more and more I changed my mind. I have to wear dress pants to work that fit and I often go to many places during a day that do not allow me to carry inside. I found myself holstering and unholstering sometimes 3-4-5 times per day. I am a criminal attorney. I have to dress for work. I go into bad neighborhoods where some people get nervous when they see guns. I meet with prosecutors who get nervous when they see people with guns. I go into office buildings (not posted) where people get nervous when they see guns. Its my reality. I have a G19 at home by the nightstand, not in a holster, that is in condition 3 because it's the only way my wife will allow it in the house. She is not comfortable any other way. I'll leave the possible argument that putting a nightstand gun in a holster or case or safe just loses precious seconds over my setup for another day.

If I carry at all, I have to carry IWB in a pair of pants that fit. My gun is covered by a shirt that must also completely cover the gun. I must tuck my shirt in. Wearing a hard covered holster made the gun print too much. Carrying in a holster that had a retention strap was just one more thing to think about when practicing drawing. I never worried about my gun going off when I sat at a desk or drove a car or anything like that. After much carrying my focus narrowed to drawing in an emergency. I can't carry OWB or with the gun exposed at all. To get at my gun, I have to first untuck my shirt. That's the reality. I found during extensive practice at an outdoor range over many sessions that I was much faster untucking and ripping the gun out of my holster and racking the slide Israeli style than I was with one in the pipe. Trying to imagine how I might feel and react in an emergency, I simply slowed down too much worrying about shooting myself with a round chambered and my shirt tucked in. That's the moment that was of concern to me when deciding which was more advantageous TO ME. With my daytime setup requirement and my nightstand setup, it made more sense TO ME to carry in condition 3. Finding I was faster when I really pushed myself drawing from a holster had the added benefit of making my training consistent for both home and outdoor scenario's.

I also try and practice situational awareness. If I'm in an area in my car that I'm not comfortable, I'll chamber a round and put my G19 in the center console. If its after work and I can wear jeans and carry OWB with a sweatshirt over it, I may chamber a round but I'd hope my training would take over and I'd still rack the slide before shooting. I haven't fired a magazine in 3 years where I didn't start the process by racking the slide unless I'm practicing shooting multiple mags in a row. I'm aware that there MAY be a circumstance where having to rack the slide is a disadvantage but FOR ME Condition 3 was the best way to go. I use snap caps and practice racking the slide using my belt or shoe in case I only have one arm free. I have tried both methods and for me, condition 3 was the way to go.
I notice a lot of your "off-limits" locations revolve around people being uncomfortable at the sight of a gun. Can you wear a suit? It seems that an attorney might be expected to wear a suit, and thus not raise any suspicion since nobody sees a gun.
Old 11-15-2010, 14:19   #67
SCmasterblaster

Back when I had a CCW in NH, I always carried chambered. BUT, I had a home-made safety device installed that held the slide back 5mm. Thusly, it totally inerted the pistol. ALSO, the device was easily and quickly removed. I have the device patented, and I am about to market it. Send me your email addresses via PM and I'll send you pictures of the neat device.

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/sho...e=otapin&cat=6

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 01-14-2012 at 12:21..
Old 11-15-2010, 14:31   #68
greenamphibious

always
Old 11-15-2010, 18:45   #69
Glockbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Back when I had a CCW in NH, I always carried chambered. BUT, I had a home-made safety device installed that held the slide back 5mm. Thusly, it totally inerted the pistol. ALSO, the device was easily and quickly removed. I have the device patented, and I am about to market it. Send me your email addresses via PM and I'll send you pictures of the neat device.
I noticed in another thread you also have connectors, and now this device, what else have you got ? post pics ?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:14   #70
Bradysmmrs

Glocks are incredibly designed and very safe. I would recommend carrying unchambered till you get comfortable with it, then little by little you'll get more comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:13   #71
Artable

Hot or Israeli

All good posts on how to carry a Glock. I have had the same concerns as I carry all the time now. Glock may take a little time to get used to, but will not accidentally discharge so long as you carry in a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard. For some, the lack of an exterior thumb safety, and it's relative security or lack of, is the real issue. You have to ask yourself if an exterior thumb safety is there to prevent accidental or negligent discharge. I would contend that a thumb safety is designed primarily to prevent an accidental discharge and this is virtually a non issue for a Glock. So, negligent discharge is the real mental issue. Therefore, you need to remember and train for 2 things if you carry with one in the chamber: that you never negligently put your finger on the trigger, especially when removing or re-inserting into your holster, and be mindful that we are human beings and subject to making mistakes so when your Glock is not in your holster you should not be cavalier about handling it, just like any other gun. I don't advocate carrying a paper weight.

Last edited by Artable; 08-27-2012 at 09:25.. Reason: unfinished
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55   #72
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
I carried it un-chambered for a few weeks till I was comfortable. Then I chambered a round.
Did similar when i started carrying a 1911. Carried cocked and locked without a chambered round. By the third day i realized that the hammer wasn't going to magically fall and fire the gun. Started carrying with one chambered.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39   #73
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

At the moment I'm carrying a CZ Shadow with an empty chamber, as this gun doesn't have a block safety. Normally I carry a CZ Phantom with one in the pipe though.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40   #74
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
Wise man. Allow me to take that miserable old junk of a Dick Special off your hands. I'd even be willing to give you a little money for it, since I feel so sorry about you carrying it all these years.

Most training videos like that are designed that way. In reality, attacks where the chamber condition would matter are so rare as to be nearly non-existent.

No, you are not being silly. If yo are uncomfortable with C1, go to C3. There really doesn't seem to be much difference between the two in real life. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and you should decide which are important to you. I don't think you need to worry about the Glock firing in your holster, but if you are uncomfortable you really don't give up much, if anything, by going to chamber empty carry. As for who carries what, it varies. Lots of folks carry chamber loaded, lots of folks carry chamber empty.
All that nonsense about carrrying C3 means you might as well carry a club, or a brick, or you'll never be able to sue it in time, and assorted silliness plays well on the internet, but reality is that C3 was the preferred mode of carry for autoloaders for a long time in most places, and it worked out just fine. Nothing has happened to change that. If C3 makes you comfortable, carry C3 and go on about your day with the knowledge that you are just as well equipped for trouble as the next guy.
Thanks, David, for posting my feelings on this subject but saying it much better than I could. Our opinion goes against the popular grain, but it needs to be offered often to balance the scale for conservative concealed carry practices.

This thread did drift a bit from the OP's question, but it was worth it to elicit David's well-informed point of view.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09   #75
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Did similar when i started carrying a 1911. Carried cocked and locked without a chambered round. By the third day i realized that the hammer wasn't going to magically fall and fire the gun. Started carrying with one chambered.
Lots of folks gain confidence that the pistol won't "magically fail and fire", and such confidence in the weapon is probably warranted. However, the CC equation also has to consider the human element, and thats the wild card.

New gun handlers and veterans are capable of mental lapses that can result in deadly consequences regardless of the holster used. Part of that risk can be avoided with condition 3. Thats all I'm saying. The simple act of holstering without complete concentration can cause poop in the soup. It happens.

Yea, this is an over-argued topic that pops up every week in one form or another. Why do you suppose that is? I'd say its because so many people are trying to figure out what makes sense for their CC method. It's a question everyone needs to carefully think through beyond consideratipn of the "brick" and "short handled club" cliches.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59   #76
TattooedGlock
NRA LIFE MEMBER

If you're not going to carry your defense gun loaded, don't carry it. If you're not comfortable, take some classes, pratice, etc., get comfortable, or leave the gun toting to others.

GSSF Life Member
1911 Club and Big Dawg Member
Old 08-27-2012, 15:03   #77
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
You just have to get comfortable with it. Carry without one in the pipe for a while to get used to it. Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. With any decent holster you will be fine.
This is how I broke myself of the fear of carrying C1. Also, dry fire (no ammo in the room, gun, etc) drills of draw, point in, press, reset action, reholster. Do this for 20-30 minutes (no longer, anything longer is just tiring, not helping your muscle memory), and see if you ever pull the trigger re-holstering. I'm sure your going to be fine.
Old 08-27-2012, 15:03   #78
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedGlock View Post
If you're not going to carry your defense gun loaded, don't carry it. If you're not comfortable, take some classes, pratice, etc., get comfortable, or leave the gun toting to others.
I do leave toting to others most of the time. All I ask is, don't shoot me in the process of trying to save me. And, don't shoot me in a restroom when you're 'adjusting' your weapon before/after doing your business. Make sure your mind is 100% focused every time you handle your weapon, no matter where you are and what the circumstances may be, and we'll likely be just fine.
Old 08-27-2012, 17:39   #79
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Carry chambered?
If I wasn't going to carry with one in the pipe, I wouldn't carry at all.

So to answer your question, yes. Carry with one in the chamber.
Old 08-27-2012, 18:34   #80
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

I have been carrying less than a week now. At first I put the gun in my laptop bag unchambered. After driving about 1 mile I thought that's pretty useless. Pulled over (no, I did not do this while driving), pulled out my G23 and racked the slide, put it back in the holster. Has been chambered ever since.
“At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.”
- Abraham Lincoln

Closed Thread

Tags
chambered, glock 19, israeli, iwb