GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: What's the Configuration of your HD handgun?
Condition 1 or 2, no light, stock sights 52 16.40%
Condition 1 or 2, no light, night sights 82 25.87%
Condition 1 or 2, light, stock sights 22 6.94%
Condition 1 or 2, light, night sights 75 23.66%
Condition 3, no light, stock sights 12 3.79%
Condition 3, no light, night sights 19 5.99%
Condition 3, light, stock sights 15 4.73%
Condition 3, light, night sights 18 5.68%
Other - Please explain 16 5.05%
Pie 6 1.89%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2010, 14:48   #1
cole

Home Defense Handgun: My Selection and Configuration... and Why

I like to think GT is (still) a learning/sharing forum. Newbie, novice or veteran, we can still learn from each other.

Image below is exactly how my HD handgun sits in the safe or bedside. Sharing image(s) of yours and reasoning appreciated.

Feel free to vote in the poll, too.

Thanks.

My Whys:
  • Stock Glock 17 - Offers 17 rounds of 9mm in a very reliable full-size gun I can grip and shoot very well. No modifications of any kind (other than sights - see below).
  • Condition 3 - Can be moved safely from safe to bedside, and back. And, the fact that it's not holstered, that it's my G17, that the trigger is back, the mounted light and the blue mag plate serve as a reminder to me it's in C3.
  • Mag baseplate - Blue. Indicates it's the HD gun (to wife) AND a reminder to me it's in C3. (FYI: All guns are C3 to my wife - i.e. always rack slide first - and the G17 is all she knows anyway). The spare HD mag has a blue baseplate as well.
  • Steel night sights - I loathe Glock plastic sights. Heinie Slant Pro Night Sights - I love these sights and shoot them best. The G17 is also my main range/target/game 9mm.
  • 9mm (147gr Gold Dot) - Offers greatest capacity since it's likely I'll have just the gun. Easiest caliber for my wife to shoot well. I prefer the heaviest weight-by-caliber. I prefer the 147gr recoil and it's sub-sonic (no "crack"). Gold Dots because the are proven and they are bonded.
  • TLR-3 - I'm a rail light believer on a HD handgun. A handheld light is also in the safe by the HD gun and another is in bedside dresser. With a weapon-mounted light I know I will always have a light when I have the gun. And, I'll grab the handheld light, too. The TLR-3 is the best overall light IMO for a home gun (light weight, inexpensive, small, secure, LED and bright).
  • No butt plug - I no longer use these. I want to be able to quickly/easily rip a mag out if needed and the plug blocks the thumb in the rear of the grip.
Tactics and Training
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:54   #2
fortyofforty
Capt. Hindsight

That is a nice setup. I can't really argue with any of your choices, except Condition 3, but that's personal preference. You might not always have two hands free to rack the slide, so be sure to practice other methods using the sights, for example.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:56   #3
Cambo

I like your set up and your reasoning is good.

My set up (both in condition 3)

Downstairs gun: Glock 24 with Hornady Critical Defense JHP(plastic tips-it's a Jersey thing), 5.5 lb trigger, two spare 15 round mags with another in the gun, extended controls, stock sights(for the moment)

Upstairs gun: Glock 19 with Hornady Critical Defense JHP, 5.5 lb trigger, TLR-1 light, 2 spare 15 round mags with another in the gun, extended controls, Trijicon night sights

Both are stored in mounted quick open gun vaults.
Old 11-11-2010, 15:05   #4
1canvas

that condition 3 i believe is a little risky. i think in a panic situation you run a high risk of jamming up the gun short cycling. plus you might not have two hands available. that said i do keep my 1911 in condition 3 when the grandkids are over, all other guns are in the safe.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:25   #5
Berto
woo woo

G20, TLR1, Win 175gr Silvertips, chamber empty.
Having a home dog gives me an alert.
Old 11-11-2010, 15:26   #6
John Biltz

I take my carry gun and holster off when I go to bed and that becomes my HD gun. I keep it in the holster loaded. G26 with +2 magazine, night sights and a laser. I keep a flashlight with it but light is not an issue where I live and I'm a night owl who is normally up to about 4:30 AM and keep a low power light on in my kitchen 24/7 that provides illumination. If I hear something and that light is out I'm bringing the shotgun. I've thought about replacing the +2 with a G17 magazine at night but I'd rather keep the gun manipulation to a minimum when I'm tired. There are better choices for HD than the G26 but it is my gun. Its what I practice with and shoot all the time. I'd rather go with my gun if I had to than a better gun I'm less familiar with.

Last edited by John Biltz; 11-11-2010 at 15:47..
John Biltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:27   #7
tx787

The Glock is somewhat tough for a HD gun since it doesn't have condition 1 which I prefer; only condition 0 or 3. With a holster condition 0 is totally safe, without one it's not ideal. This is why I prefer the USP for HD. That all being said right now I've got a Gen4 G19 in condition 3 with a TLR1s on it. The TLR1s is significantly brighter than the TLR3 and even on the compact G19 it fits nicely.

Tactics and Training
tx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:32   #8
kda
NRA Life Member

My home defense Glock(s), as well as my carry Glock all have the Crimson Trace LG436 Laser with a round in the chamber. I replace all the rear sights with the Glock Steel rear sight replacement. Federal HST 147 grain.

I saw a movie in which only the Government and the Police had Guns. The name of the movie was Schindler's List.
kda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:33   #9
samuse

I usually take my 19 off and put it on the bedside table. It's got a round in the chamber, but is in a holster.

I'm about to try out a Surefire X300, so it'll be condition 3 on the bedside table.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:36   #10
Veedubklown

I leave my EDC CC on my nightstand when I take it off for the evening, but for my day job I can't have a firearm on property. Therefore, I unchamber the round I keep piped when I carry and load it back into my extra mag, and load my extra g17 mag in instead of the g26 mag. I don't have a rail for a light nor would I CC with a light, so I keep a LED maglight in my nightstand with it. Keep it unloaded because my cat/mother in law are both curious animals. If either one can figure out how to rack the slide while I'm at work, they can repair their damages. Except the cat, she's smarter than to put her booger hook in the go button.
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 16:13   #11
brisk21

Glock 17 with Glock light/laser. Loaded.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 16:34   #12
Whtwolf14

G19 with M3 attached, Warren T's, Chamber empty (got kids).

Looking to either add a G30sf, or G17 to the house.....can't decide. Hopefully I'll have my mind made up when the money is saved up.
Whtwolf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 16:56   #13
AgentAdam
Glock Master

G17 RTF2/Gills, Chambered w/ Winchester Ranger 127 +P+
Glock Light
Glock Front Night Sight
Glock Extended Slide Stop
Glock Extended Mag Catch
Glock +2 Mag Extension

Last edited by AgentAdam; 11-11-2010 at 16:57..
AgentAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 16:59   #14
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Green/orange Meprolites, and a Barnes TAC-XP in the pipe....
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 17:03   #15
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

Depending on what I'm feeling like…

1911, NS, Z2-S Surefire

HK P7M8, NS, Z2-S Surefire

Glock 17, NS, X300

Sooner or later I will be down to just ONE platform to choose from in regards to the pistola.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 17:05   #16
crzn01
G23 Gen 4 (32)

G23 / Loaded with Federal HST 180 gr, Crimson Trace Laser (LG 417) & small light........
Old 11-11-2010, 17:06   #17
Melissa5

G30SF with 13-round mag on my night stand
one in the chamber
stock Glock sights at the moment
no light since I have night lights all over the house
4 extra mags loaded with 185 gr. Speer Gold Dots
John 3:16
Melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 17:12   #18
boomhower

My Gen 3 G22 serves HD purposes. Chambered with factory night sites.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 17:15   #19
Jim S.

Unless you have small children in the house that may wander around unnoticed at night I see no reason that a Glock on a night stand should not have a round in the chamber.
All of the safety involved with a gun begins with you and not putting your finger on the trigger unless you are going to shoot the gun.
With small children I would not be comfortable even in condition 3.
Your gun should be under your control at all times. When it is not it should be secured.
If you live without children in the house then whoever is around should be made to understand the gun and it's condition and all of the safety involved.
If it's just you then feel free to do it however you want.
I think there are too many instances where a gun without a round in the chamber is another negative in a serious situation.
You're asleep. They are pumped up big time.
You are drowsy and maybe a bit slower than normal. They are pumped up and ready to do their thing.
They have an agenda. You have to react to a situation that is new and very scarey and very dangerous.
There is no need to add to your disadvantage.
Glocks and most guns are very safe with a round chambered as long as you follow the rules.
Stay off the trigger until you need to shoot.

Last edited by Jim S.; 11-11-2010 at 17:17..
Jim S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 17:16   #20
Jeepnik

I rotate. Right now.

Tactics and Training

Tactics and Training