SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2010, 17:35   #1
shotgunred
reloading nut

Hornady l-n-load a p

Whats going on? Everywhere I check it has gone up in price in the last week. Manventure went up $20. today. Also just to get one setup with a case feeder you either pay through the nose or order from several sites. Several places have it listed as more than a Dillon 650. My local sportsman price went up $50 in the last month.
Has the bullet feeder really caused enough demand for the price increase in existing products?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 18:14   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Kinda like the number one hooker... quality is always in demand.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 18:26   #3
Colorado4Wheel

What was the price on manventure before?
Old 11-11-2010, 18:27   #4
unclebob

For some reason Barnum & Bailey comes too mind.
GSSF Life Member
Old 11-11-2010, 19:14   #5
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
What was the price on manventure before?
old $369
current $386.23
Old 11-11-2010, 19:59   #6
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Kinda like the number one hooker... quality is always in demand.
Jack
True... kinda negates the whole "Blue machines are overpriced" view doesn't it?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:05   #7
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
The press just went up $17

Lets wait and see what the blue stuff does the first of the year ?

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Bob2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:33   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post

Dear Sir: (That's you BG... I'm used to writing fiction)

Your implied hypothesis has been taken under careful consideration and it has been determined that the answer is dictated by which side of economic theory one leans to.

It could be argued, and quite convincingly I might point out, that a product in demand, given a finite production capability, will by virtue morph into a product in short supply. If demand remains constant, or increases, the perceived value to the end consumer of said product increases proportionally hence an increase in retail price.

The contrary position would be that some people simply have no idea what they are doing. Those people are referred to as Democrats.

I sincerely hope this elementary lesson in capitalism has left you sufficiently enlightened.

(Personally I like the hooker analogy better... even I can understand that.)

Professor of economics and tofu aficionado,

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:57   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Man, this is getting to be no fun anymore... it's like fishing in a barrel, with my shotgun!

$17 is roughly 6-7%... I expect Dillon will follow suit... of course with the bullet promo ending that negates value to a degree...my point is what I have stated in the past, the LNL is a great machine... no doubt... just the whole it's cheaper too... always kills the arguement in comparison is all. I feel for me in the past that it has had limitations that the price does not negate.
I always said that eventually as it gained strength in market share, the price would go up.
Let's remember here folks, Horandy can afford to give up profits in comparison to Dillon for marketing purposes of the reloading line. They have a significant sister corporation that finances them until they can get that chunk of the market... they sell bullets.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 11-11-2010 at 22:03..
Old 11-11-2010, 21:10   #10
shotgunred
reloading nut

The biggest advantage of the LNL over the 650 is the cost of caliber changes. Even without dies its close to $71 less a caliber.

lnl shell plate 30 bushings 10 total $40
650 caliber conversion 76 tool head 25 powder funnel 10 total $111
Old 11-11-2010, 21:37   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
The biggest advantage of the LNL over the 650 is the cost of caliber changes. Even without dies its close to $71 less a caliber.

The specific powder funnel comes with a XL650 conversion... Yes your right, it's cheaper in most cases because the XL650 conversion comes with all the caliber specific parts for the casefeeder too. However, something I recently discovered is that there are several XL650 conversions that with the exception of one or two parts are pretty much the same as others.

For example: I was looking to get a .380 Auto conversion and found the .223 conversion to be the same with the exception of one $3 part (casefeeder slider arm bushing) and that I would have to use my 9mm powder funnel.
I will be going ahead and buying the .223 even though I won't be loading that for a while.
&
Old 11-11-2010, 21:42   #12
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:

This is the biggest advantage of the LNL, over the XL650.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:52   #13
Three-Five-Seven
Seor Mombo

Actually, the biggest advantage over the 650 is that the primer magazine is not prone to detonation. Oh, and the powder measure is the best available.
Old 11-12-2010, 00:10   #14
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
Actually, the biggest advantage over the 650 is that the primer magazine is not prone to detonation. Oh, and the powder measure is the best available.
Look not to start a debate but being that you mentioned it... can you elaborate on these points you have mentioned?
I'm particularly interested in the powder drop, how is it considered better? I hear that the powder drop flare is something other to be desired and that a aftermarket PTX??? is the only way to go. Is that true?
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 11-12-2010 at 14:33..
Old 11-12-2010, 05:17   #15
dudel

Quote:
Whats going on? Everywhere I check it has gone up in price in the last week. Manventure went up $20. today. Also just to get one setup with a case feeder you either pay through the nose or order from several sites. Several places have it listed as more than a Dillon 650. My local sportsman price went up $50 in the last month.
Has the bullet feeder really caused enough demand for the price increase in existing products?
Could be the upcoming holidays as well. You might see some price drops afterwards. Bite the reload, pull the trigger and do it now.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30   #16
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
I'd like to hear more about these Dillon "issues" as well. I've not heard of ANY "detonation" issues with their primer setups.

And I'm hard pressed to believe there's a better powder delivery system than Dillon. My 550B has been rock solid. I don't even check it any more. Just tap it and throw 10 before I get started, and it's dead on. And with the UniqueTek Micrometer Powder Bar installed, it's fairly easy to "move" amongst various settings. I've heard the same from pretty much every other Dillon user, as long as they're not using a powder which doesn't meter well from any powder measure.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40   #17
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I'd like to hear more about these Dillon "issues" as well. I've not heard of ANY "detonation" issues with their primer setups.

And I'm hard pressed to believe there's a better powder delivery system than Dillon. My 550B has been rock solid. I don't even check it any more. Just tap it and throw 10 before I get started, and it's dead on. And with the UniqueTek Micrometer Powder Bar installed, it's fairly easy to "move" amongst various settings. I've heard the same from pretty much every other Dillon user, as long as they're not using a powder which doesn't meter well from any powder measure.
The 550 and 650 have very different priming systems. I've read about a few 650 primer detonations (not really enough to convince me there's a widespread problem though).... I honestly can't ever remember reading about one on a 550.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40   #18
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Well all I know is it was one of those Dillon's that put poor old Jack in the hospital !

Bob
Old 11-12-2010, 07:57   #19
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post

I agree. All powders are different, and I had problem with Hornady powder dump with fine flake powders (Bullsye in particular). It would get between the dump body and the metering rotor, then gum up and have to be cleaned. Again, all powders are different, and I've had zero problems with the Dillon powder dump. I'm sure it works better with some powders than it does with others; same as the Hornady. However, there are probably 5-10 times as many Dillon dumps doing their job than Hornady dumps.

The primer operation is different; but still basically the same. A shuttle (Dillon) or swinging arm (Hornady) picks the primer from a primer tube that is filled from a primer filler tube. They both prime on the downstroke of the ram. Hornady and Dillon both anticipated primer detonation (unlike Lee) and built safety features to address the issue (again unlike Lee).

What I like about the Hornady (though not enough to buy it), is that the primer tube is further away from the operator. On the Hornady, there is a press between me and the primers; unlike the 550b, where they are front and center. I think that makes the Hornady a mite bit safer from a primer detonation point of view.

On the other hand, safe operation should make primer detonation an non issue. I suspect primer detonations tend to happen to ham fisted loaders who don't load smoothly, and force things rather than fix things.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14   #20
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
I agree. All powders are different, and I had problem with Hornady powder dump with fine flake powders (Bullsye in particular). It would get between the dump body and the metering rotor, then gum up and have to be cleaned. Again, all powders are different, and I've had zero problems with the Dillon powder dump. I'm sure it works better with some powders than it does with others; same as the Hornady. However, there are probably 5-10 times as many Dillon dumps doing their job than Hornady dumps.

The primer operation is different; but still basically the same. A shuttle (Dillon) or swinging arm (Hornady) picks the primer from a primer tube that is filled from a primer filler tube. They both prime on the downstroke of the ram. Hornady and Dillon both anticipated primer detonation (unlike Lee) and built safety features to address the issue (again unlike Lee).

What I like about the Hornady (though not enough to buy it), is that the primer tube is further away from the operator. On the Hornady, there is a press between me and the primers; unlike the 550b, where they are front and center. I think that makes the Hornady a mite bit safer from a primer detonation point of view.

On the other hand, safe operation should make primer detonation an non issue. I suspect primer detonations tend to happen to ham fisted loaders who don't load smoothly, and force things rather than fix things.
Watz you talkin about, a swinging arm ?
The LNL has a primer shuttle or slide.

Bob