Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2010, 20:54   #1
Specks

Looking for a new wireless router

I'm looking for a new wireless router. I currently have a DLink DL-624 that is starting to give me problems, random resets, finicky with VPN and Xbox Live.

I see this one at BestBuy that has a good rating.

NetGear - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

It's a little overkill as I don't have any laptops with wireless-N cards and my desktop is 10/100Mbps, not 1Gbps, so I could upgrade my desktop/laptops as necessary. I see it is also supported by dd-wrt which I don't have any experience using but I hear good things about.

What would you recommend? Going with something that has wireless-N and gigabit ethernet or sticking with wireless-G and 10/100 ethernet?

I have one desktop, a printer that is 10/100 ethernet capable, 2 laptops with wireless-G cards, 1 Xbox360 with wireless-G adapter, and 2 android phones that connect to the wireless.
Specks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 21:12   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I can't speak to the router you posted, but I've been happy w/ this one...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

It regularly has:
My Wired PC
2 Laptops
1 Netbook
2 Zunes
1 Printer..

It has given me no issue at all. I don't live in the Taj Mahal, and the range is fine. The router/Modem is in my attic, I routinely use my netbook in the basement, and our laptops on the main floor, w/o issue.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 21:34   #3
wrenrj1

I've got a Linksys router that's about five-years old. I've started to migrate towards Apple, first with the purchase of an IMac, and will probably go with the Apple AirPort router soon. It can be used with a PC as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 21:34   #4
mattyk6

My understanding is that if you do get a N router and a single N wireless card with everything else in G, you will still need run the N router in a mode that allows G devices to connect. When you do that, all devices will connect at G speeds, so you lose the speed advantage on the N device. You may be better off to buy a newer G router.

Either way, your router will be faster than your internet connection. Your only advantage would be on device to device wireless transfers.
mattyk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 22:37   #5
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
Linksys has G routers that are backward compitabile which means you can use them now and later. Good stuff at Best Buy!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 19:46   #6
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

I just picked up a D-Link DIR 655 and I am *very* pleased with it so far...

Took a bit to get used to the interface, but it came together quickly and didn't hardly interrupt the network.

It replaced a Netgear WNR2000 that just kept dropping wireless after a year or so.

Came highly rated, Gamers like em, and Gigabit Ports too!

Price wasn't that bad, but it wasn't cheap either!

HTH
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40   #7
sigman69

have a d-link and it is much faster and works than the linksys I had in the past.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55   #8
handyman

The Dec issue of MAXIMUM PC has the high end router shoot out the Netgear Rangemax V1 scored a 9.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 15:10   #9
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specks View Post
I'm looking for a new wireless router. I currently have a DLink DL-624 that is starting to give me problems, random resets, finicky with VPN and Xbox Live.

I see this one at BestBuy that has a good rating.

NetGear - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

It's a little overkill as I don't have any laptops with wireless-N cards and my desktop is 10/100Mbps, not 1Gbps, so I could upgrade my desktop/laptops as necessary. I see it is also supported by dd-wrt which I don't have any experience using but I hear good things about.

What would you recommend? Going with something that has wireless-N and gigabit ethernet or sticking with wireless-G and 10/100 ethernet?

I have one desktop, a printer that is 10/100 ethernet capable, 2 laptops with wireless-G cards, 1 Xbox360 with wireless-G adapter, and 2 android phones that connect to the wireless.

Just finished writing an Amazon review for that Netgear unit.

Bottom line: it is a very nice device, but there is a firmware bug that prevents you from using two of them in a base/repeater configuration to extend the range of your wireless network. So unless you need that functionality, get it.

Absolutely get "N" and Gigabit - G and 10/100 is outdated technology and will simply be a bottleneck going forward. No sense in buying old tech...
Old 11-13-2010, 15:14   #10
Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyk6 View Post
My understanding is that if you do get a N router and a single N wireless card with everything else in G, you will still need run the N router in a mode that allows G devices to connect. When you do that, all devices will connect at G speeds, so you lose the speed advantage on the N device. You may be better off to buy a newer G router.

Either way, your router will be faster than your internet connection. Your only advantage would be on device to device wireless transfers.

N routers are by default backwards compatible with a, b, and g devices.

You *can* set most of them to run only in one mode or another, but I have no clue why you'd want to do that...

Out of the box, you will be fine and all your devices will connect.

I did have an issue with one client who had a weird, generic USB wireless G adapter that kept dropping the connection to their new Cisco N router...bought him a new N cisco/linksys adapter and all is well.
Old 11-13-2010, 17:40   #11
alba666
WWJGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
Just finished writing an Amazon review for that Netgear unit.

Bottom line: it is a very nice device, but there is a firmware bug that prevents you from using two of them in a base/repeater configuration to extend the range of your wireless network. So unless you need that functionality, get it.

Absolutely get "N" and Gigabit - G and 10/100 is outdated technology and will simply be a bottleneck going forward. No sense in buying old tech...
Will it do WDS as a base with some other device as a repeater (like with an Apple Airport Express)? My 1/2TB Apple Time Capsule died and I looking for a replacement.
Old 11-13-2010, 17:42   #12
Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba666 View Post
Will it do WDS as a base with some other device as a repeater (like with an Apple Airport Express)? My 1/2TB Apple Time Capsule died and I looking for a replacement.

No clue but I wouldn't bet on it because of that firmware bug.

If you've already got other Apple networking gear, I'd keep it all the same - Apple stuff plays pretty nicely together.
Old 11-13-2010, 17:55   #13
alba666
WWJGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
No clue but I wouldn't bet on it because of that firmware bug.

If you've already got other Apple networking gear, I'd keep it all the same - Apple stuff plays pretty nicely together.
Yeah, its pretty idiot-proof. I got the old WRT54G with DD-WRT handling the WDS link, but I need to move it back to the entertainment center at some point.
Old 11-13-2010, 20:00   #14
Specks

Thanks for your comments Drjones. I don't need a base/repeater setup so that won't be an issue. I agree that getting gigabit and N is the way to go, it's the timing of spending more right now with x-mas right around the corner. I'll probably deal with the issues with my current router until after the holidays.
Specks is offline   Reply With Quote